Bose QC35 not impressed

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
I bought a Bose QC35 to use while commuting. Anybody else kind of disappointed by the noise cancellation on these things? They just don’t seem to do a whole lot with the noise in the cabin. I have to wear earplugs beneath them to get the noise reduction I’m looking for. Seems like they should be able to cancel what, upon reaching cruise, is generally a steady state frequency.

is there a better product out there that anyone will recommend?

agreed was terribly underwhelmed by them.

switched to the Sony WH-1000XM4, better noise cancelling and better sound...and way better battery, since it's a chargeable plug in. About 30 hours of ANR. also if you it it dies it works just fine without the ANR.

I bought a Bose QC35 to use while commuting. Anybody else kind of disappointed by the noise cancellation on these things? They just don’t seem to do a whole lot with the noise in the cabin. I have to wear earplugs beneath them to get the noise reduction I’m looking for. Seems like they should be able to cancel what, upon reaching cruise, is generally a steady state frequency.

is there a better product out there that anyone will recommend?

My 25's are totally fine commuting on an Airbus - transcon - but I always tried to sit in front of the engines and commuted for so long that I just tuned out any other noise after awhile. The new Airpods are pretty amazing compared to the last generation, but I need to try them on a long transcon in the back.

Maybe it's the 73?

I have some. They’re “fine” but they were also free. I prefer them to my AirPods Pro because I’m afraid of sitting in a middle seat, one popping out then spending the rest of the flight trying to play ”Twister” in an attempt to retrieve it.

agreed was terribly underwhelmed by them.

switched to the Sony WH-1000XM4, better noise cancelling and better sound...and way better battery, since it's a chargeable plug in. About 30 hours of ANR. also if you it it dies it works just fine without the ANR.

After doing a lot of research, this is what I ended up buying. I’ve had mine about four years, and have done numerous 16 hour deadheads with them. I’m very pleased with not only how good the ANR is, but how robust they are.

My QC35s are freaking amazing. I used with a neck pillow to sleep through C-RAMS going off, AC-130s, and other flying shooty things doing range stuff at ORAA.

I love my QC35s been using them for about 4 years now. Makes long commutes a breeze. I may have to look at alternatives though if there really are better options out there.

I can only compare my QC-35s to my QC-15s, but I’ve been using them for over 3 years (used the 15s for 6) and they, or anything similar, are invaluable for traveling/commuting. I am curious about AirPods Max though; anybody using those? If I were in the market for new headphones I’d be interested, but the lack of a true case would have me worried over how well they’d hold up traveling in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the QC35 for commute as well as flight deck. I still have A20, but use the QC35 most of the time because they are light, and the loss of quality in ANR and crisp sound is minimal, imo. I would say they are a good deal for the money. If I were in a turboprop I *might* be more inclined to throw the A20s in the flight bag.

The QC45s are on sale for $200 at Costco right now. Anyone have an opinion on them with the uFly mic?

Update: Just fed Amazon (229) instead and ordered an updated uFly. ($310 for the le'Bus version) I've had my QC25 rig for 7ish years and have been wanting to upgrade to a bluetooth version for DH's. (The ANR is so much less fatiguing with a headset vs. my airpods) I'll have an opinion in about 5 days or so or on my next trip.

I hate cyber monday and holiday shopping. I buy so much stuff at Home Depot and electronics... that I probably don't need.

The QC45s are on sale for $200 at Costco right now. Anyone have an opinion on them with the uFly mic?

No Bueno.

I'm having the sidetone issue on Le Bus. Everything is great, except I sound like a robot in my own head. It's kinda driving me batty after 2 days. None of the proscribed fixes are working.

That all being said, the headphones are awesome. They are literally 1/2 the weight of my 25's. And no more carrying batteries around anymore. I might have to swap out the 45 for a 35 and buy the 35 attachment piece from Ufly. Stinks, the 45's have USB-C charging.

All this because I don't want to carry around a headset and a pair of headphones.

No Bueno.

I'm having the sidetone issue on Le Bus. Everything is great, except I sound like a robot in my own head. It's kinda driving me batty after 2 days. None of the proscribed fixes are working.

That all being said, the headphones are awesome. They are literally 1/2 the weight of my 25's. And no more carrying batteries around anymore. I might have to swap out the 45 for a 35 and buy the 35 attachment piece from Ufly. Stinks, the 45's have USB-C charging.

All this because I don't want to carry around a headset and a pair of headphones.
I have the same issue with my 45's that bose gave me on warranty for my 25s. I just eventually stopped noticing, but it was really annoying at first.
I'm using the Nflight mic since it's universal, so I don't think it's a mic thing.

I have the same issue with my 45's that bose gave me on warranty for my 25s. I just eventually stopped noticing, but it was really annoying at first.
I'm using the Nflight mic since it's universal, so I don't think it's a mic thing.

Now I'm 2nd guessing myself... 1.) I can return the 45's to amazon and buy the *more expensive* 35's and replace the mic connector for $80. Or 2.) I can just make like Elsa and "let it go" till I get used to the echo.

I guess I'll do one more trip and see how I feel.

Now I'm 2nd guessing myself... 1.) I can return the 45's to amazon and buy the *more expensive* 35's and replace the mic connector for $80. Or 2.) I can just make like Elsa and "let it go" till I get used to the echo.

I guess I'll do one more trip and see how I feel.
Thanks for the info, i've been following your journey. Ended up ordering the 45s from Costco for $200, but just for home use. Any update on the echo or other issues?

Back