Bose Proflight2 - worth it?

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Any of you guys using the Proflight 2 in a jet? Reading up has indicated that they're not really good for GA, but seem to get good reviews for jets.

I'm going to be flying a -145. I don't know how noisy it is up front but the quietest headset I have is my Lightspeed Zulu3s. They're not TSO'd but from what I hear that's not a big deal. Still, thinking about upgrading. I know the ANR on the A-20 is good, but I just don't like the way they fit/feel - make me feel like I'm in a vise, so wondering about the pro-flights.

Open to other recommendations, too.

Any of you guys using the Proflight 2 in a jet? Reading up has indicated that they're not really good for GA, but seem to get good reviews for jets.

I'm going to be flying a -145. I don't know how noisy it is up front but the quietest headset I have is my Lightspeed Zulu3s. They're not TSO'd but from what I hear that's not a big deal. Still, thinking about upgrading. I know the ANR on the A-20 is good, but I just don't like the way they fit/feel - make me feel like I'm in a vise, so wondering about the pro-flights.

Open to other recommendations, too.
I know a bunch that have them and like them. I would make the switch but I really don't like earbuds in all the time so I do the over the ear DC ProX. Now that I'm sitting left I'm contemplating getting the mic for my Bose QC35s just to eliminate something in my bag.

I know a bunch that have them and like them. I would make the switch but I really don't like earbuds in all the time so I do the over the ear DC ProX. Now that I'm sitting left I'm contemplating getting the mic for my Bose QC35s just to eliminate something in my bag.

Yeah, I'm kinda the opposite. I don't mind a bud, but I get really picky about the support. I had a Clarity Aloft for a while, but the pressure on my temples from the band on those made them uncomfortable. Really want ANR. Might look at a Pro-X. Several people have mentioned it to me.

I've got a couple of the Sennheiser HMEC 46 ANC headphones that I like and have been using in the Lears for years (also used the HMEC 45 prior). I'm cutting back on the flying and would be willing to send you one to try if you're interested. Very light weight, on-the-ear style with noise cancellation. Works good in quiet-ish jets. 15 dB of noise reduction is their claim.

They're discontinued and the used market for them is soft, so I'd let them go for a song if you decided you wanted to keep them. At the very least it'd give you an opportunity to try something on the lighter side of the ANC headset range.

hmec 46 1.png

hmec 46 2.png

Attachments

• HMEC_46-1_EN_INT-2.pdf
    439.1 KB · Views: 3
I have the Proflight 2 and like it. The earbuds took a couple weeks to get used to but now I can wear it comfortably for 6+ hours, which is great for long legs in a louder cockpit where you want to leave it on all the time. The in-ear is also nice because glasses or sunglasses don't interfere with the NC. I would say the only downside is the dangly wires make it more cumbersome to take on and off quickly which could be annoying if you're flying 4-5 leg days. Another option is a Bose QC25/35/45 with the Nflightmic which I think is TSO'd now, cheaper, and lighter weight than the A20s (but still plenty of NC for a jet).

Second that the 145 is really loud. Turbo prop nose (Emb-120) at jet speeds. I had A20s when I flew it and they worked well. On the 737 I have a Halo and really like them. Tried my friends Bose Proflight for a trip and didn’t care for them, couldn’t get a good seal with the buds and it didn’t seem like the noise canceling did anything.

Anyone using these?

First thing you notice is how light they are. A very nice over the ear headset with some nice features. I like how they connect two Bluetooth devices at the same time.

Why are they only $699? Because Bose and Lightspeed have huge markups and a big advertising budget.

Why do some of the parts resemble Bose and Lightspeed? Because Pilot USA makes parts for the Bose and Lightspeed. Par (owner) really stands behind his products. Par repairs Bose headsets for 20% what Bose charges. Got a Bose X headset with a broken saddle? Bose won't even fix them, Par does, he's got 100's or new saddles in stock.

Tell Par I sent you, I owe his some favors.

You are being redirected...

1664565515166.png

1664565777023.png

I have the ProFlight 2's I use in the E170 with the 5-pin XLR connecor, love 'em. No batteries to worry about either, you can buy an adapter for GA (I think)

Yes, the 145 is a noisy airplane up front.
My DC Pro X was a life saver in that airplane.

Let's see... I've had a Bose X, an A20, a Telex Ascend, The basic Telex 750, an in the ear Telex 5x5, old DC's...

Today (in the Bus which depending on the age is medium-noisy) I use a Bose QC-25 and the mic. This has been a lifesaver for commuting and DH's. When my 25's finally die (I'm on the 2nd set) I'll upgrade to the latest and greatest.

If anyone wants an Ascend I'd let it go for dirt cheap. I think it has a 5-pin bus connector though.

I have the Proflight 2s and love them. I use them in the Airbus now but plan on using them in the 737 as well.

The earbuds started bugging me so I ordered custom molded ear pieces that arrive this weekend actually.

Going to the gun range, I hate putting ear plugs into my ear canal. The thought of having a headset having a piece that sticks either into my ear or rests on the ear canal entrance is bleh.

I'll take the Bose A20 any day of the week.

Flew the 145 for 5 years. I use the CA 121 version, which is honestly the best headset I've ever worn. Been flying the 747 the last 4 1/2 years and I still prefer the CA. I have a bose 700 and the CA is still quieter.

I have the Proflight 2s and love them. I use them in the Airbus now but plan on using them in the 737 as well.

The earbuds started bugging me so I ordered custom molded ear pieces that arrive this weekend actually.

I read somewhere that the tips were proprietary. Not true? What did it cost to get custom molds?

I need to do something in the vein of the proflight or a CA - I wear glasses and even with the thinnest arms I can get on frames the gap in an ANR seal is noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I read somewhere that the tips were proprietary. Not true? What did it cost to get custom molds?

I need to do something in the vein of the proflight or a CA - I wear glasses and even with the thinnest arms I can get on frames the gap in an ANR seal is noticeable.

Ive been meaning to order custom molds for mine, but the stock bose earpieces don't bother me much usually.

I Love my proflight 2's it's the best balance in headsets imo. However, they are not perfect. The have been serviced 3 times in less than 2 years, the cord likes to pull out of the bottom of the control box. This is mostly an A320 problem imo as the headset plugs are above and behind your head. Noise cancelling is good in the jet, they are WORTHLESS flying GA imo, I only took them GA flying once and couldn't hear a thing.

Keep an eye on Bose.com for them, the price is almost always the same, but they will frequently pair the purchase with a free product like a speaker or wired headphones, ect ect.

The CA kinda wraps over the ear so there is a small amount of interference with glasses. The proflight 2 doesn’t do this, but you do have a head band and I find the mic location is a bi high and in my line of sight. Otherwise I like the proflight 2 and can easily wear sun glasses without crushing glasses into your head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't received my custom ear molds yet so they may be crap. But they were 200 bucks

Anyone using these?

First thing you notice is how light they are. A very nice over the ear headset with some nice features. I like how they connect two Bluetooth devices at the same time.

Why are they only $699? Because Bose and Lightspeed have huge markups and a big advertising budget.

Why do some of the parts resemble Bose and Lightspeed? Because Pilot USA makes parts for the Bose and Lightspeed. Par (owner) really stands behind his products. Par repairs Bose headsets for 20% what Bose charges. Got a Bose X headset with a broken saddle? Bose won't even fix them, Par does, he's got 100's or new saddles in stock.

Tell Par I sent you, I owe his some favors.

You are being redirected...

View attachment 67160

View attachment 67161

Frank, I agree about these guys. I had a PA1779 that I used for years. The ANR was good, but not as good as some of the others I've tried. The company is solid, they did a refurb for me and they're a generally great company to work with.

I do, however, want to get something that is a little easier to wear glasses with.

Back