Books to read for Initial CFI/I?

Otto123

I am just starting my training for CFI and/or II (would actually like some response back on if one is better to have first than the other...I or II?) and would like to know what publications are a good read/study outside of the oral exam books and the FAR/AIM for the CFI/I tickets?

Thank you.

PHAK and AFH are a must for CFI (along with the instructor's handbook, of course). If you know those hands down you shouldn't have an issue. For CFII you'll need the Instrument Flying Handbook.

As for what's better to get first, it can depend on what sort of local students you'll have. I went with CFI since nearly all of the students I'd be able to work with were private and commercial.

Thanks Dave. I do have the PHAK, don't have the AFH yet. Being here in Michigan, I know there is good IMC flying here but haven't really seen too many IFR students while doing my own training. So more than likely, it would be wise for me too to get the CFI ticket first. At least that way I can train both private and commercial students.

Again, thank you.

PHAK and AFH are a must for CFI (along with the instructor's handbook, of course). If you know those hands down you shouldn't have an issue. For CFII you'll need the Instrument Flying Handbook.

As for what's better to get first, it can depend on what sort of local students you'll have. I went with CFI since nearly all of the students I'd be able to work with were private and commercial.

The Advanced Pilot's Flight Manual by Kershner was a huge help too.

isupress_1627_5510240.gif

What do PHAK and AFH stand for?

Back