Books on Trading/Investing

dasleben

That's just, like, your opinion, man
So, I realized that I told mikecweb that I'd make a list of investing/trading books I really liked, but totally forgot about it...again. I'm also always looking to expand my own knowledge, so I thought I'd make my own list here, and see what else others could recommend. Keep in mind that I primarily use technical analysis, so others may be able to recommend books for fundamental analysis (i.e., balance sheets, P/E ratios, etc.).

Books that helped me the most, in order:

1. Trading in the Zone, by Mark Douglas. This is a book about psychology in trading, which also applies to investments. It gets the reader thinking in terms of probability, and thinking objectively. Learning that it's okay to be wrong was a very important mental transition for me.

2. Stikky Stock Charts, by Laurence Holt. This book reads like a children's book, but don't be deceived. This is a fantastic primer for basic technical analysis, and teaches foundational knowledge of trend lines and major chart patterns.

3. The Day Trader's Bible, by Richard Wyckoff. This was written in the 1920s, back when stock "operators" only had basic price and volume information to make decisions. This is pure market analysis; no stochastics, moving averages, fib zones, or anything else. I equate this book (and the next one I'll list) to learning how to fly VFR before adding instruments. It describes the basis of all market movement. Don't let the title fool you; it's quite useful for long-term holdings. This can be found online for free in .pdf form.

3. Master the Markets, by Tom Williams. A continuation of Wyckoff's work, updated for current trading platforms. This also can be found in .pdf form online for free, and please ignore the plugs for their proprietary trading platform. You don't need it. The information in the book is more than enough.

4. Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, by Edwin Lefèvre. A book written about Jesse Livermore, one of the great traders of the early 1900s. You can probably skip this book, but it helped me get a better sense of how markets move, and how they can be manipulated by big money.

5. The New Market Wizards, by Jack Schwager. A book of interviews with some of the top traders and investors of our day. Some very important lessons to be learned from the successes and failures of some of the biggest traders out there.

The last one isn't a book, but probably should be put as #1...

6. Screen time. You can read all you want, but you simply must get into the charts. This will probably take into the thousands of hours. It has for me, at least.

Notice how I haven't said anything about system trading. I simply can't recommend a system, as this will more than likely change from person to person. What makes sense to one person may not make sense to another. I know guys who make great money intraday scalping index/commodity futures, but it doesn't suit my personality, and for me led to a steady loss of capital. I've since moved into medium term swing-type trades in the Forex markets, which suit my methods and personality better, and my account is much happier.

Anyone else have recommendations they care to share?

So you are currently only trading single equities?

Now we have a forum that I can actually contribute to.

So you are currently only trading single equities?

No, not for some time now. I don't have much time to trade right now (going through initial at another airline), but I've been moving into FX from equity futures and options (did well in options, but don't have the time with my gig to babysit positions). I like the fact that I can more finely tune position size with FX.

I mostly trade options, mostly because I like to be able to tailor the size and risk of the transaction anyway I see fit. Options contracts are also good because there are pricing errors all of time due to both a lack of liquidity and the fact that the pros aren't watching lower volume contracts all day. I've made a better return from options consistently over the years than anything else (it is also the highest risk I take).

There aren't a ton of great books (at least that I've liked), but I'll thumb through my bookshelf and see if there are any I'd recommend.

I mostly trade options, mostly because I like to be able to tailor the size and risk of the transaction anyway I see fit. Options contracts are also good because there are pricing errors all of time due to both a lack of liquidity and the fact that the pros aren't watching lower volume contracts all day. I've made a better return from options consistently over the years than anything else (it is also the highest risk I take).

There aren't a ton of great books (at least that I've liked), but I'll thumb through my bookshelf and see if there are any I'd recommend.

Cool, I did really well with option spreads, particularly on the S&P index itself. I was usually short (but hedged), paying close attention to historical vs. implied volatility, and setting up condors/diagonals/calendars as both vega and theta plays. I really enjoyed that (and was consistent), but like I said, I simply don't have time to babysit those positions anymore. I was doing junk that would take 2-3 weeks to pan out, so I had to be watching things every day, particularly when the market would start to approach the risk limits I'd set for myself.

I was doing junk that would take 2-3 weeks to pan out, so I had to be watching things every day, particularly when the market would start to approach the risk limits I'd set for myself.

I always have limit orders to close positions as soon as I open them for that reason - real life gets busy, and I get a text message that what I was expecting happened. I don't like keeping positions open for very long anyway - if it isn't going my way, cut my losses and start looking for another bright idea.

I always have limit orders to close positions as soon as I open them for that reason - real life gets busy, and I get a text message that what I was expecting happened. I don't like keeping positions open for very long anyway - if it isn't going my way, cut my losses and start looking for another bright idea.

Yeah, I had limit orders out to close positions at target profit levels, but I couldn't really set stops. I typically closed positions when delta and gamma got to a certain point, so you couldn't really predict option pricing ahead of time. Especially true with the wide SPX spreads.

I typically closed positions when delta and gamma got to a certain point, so you couldn't really predict option pricing ahead of time. Especially true with the wide SPX spreads.

Never had much success with SPX / SPY contracts - too many smart people trading them already.

No, not for some time now. I don't have much time to trade right now (going through initial at another airline), but I've been moving into FX from equity futures and options (did well in options, but don't have the time with my gig to babysit positions). I like the fact that I can more finely tune position size with FX.

Ding Ding ding we have a winner.

My progression was similar ending up in FX having come from futures and commodities which came from options which came from singles.

You can fine tune size and leverage and really maximize it. If you have any FX questions shoot away. I love FX, it has been really really good to me.

Not really specifically stock oriented, but for growing wealth anything written by Robert Kiyosaki is good, I just finished "Conspiracy of the Rich."

I'd love to get involved further with FX. My technical analysis skills aren't quite up to par to be successful at it though. I've gotten my feet wet a few times over the years by scalping the EUR/USD but my returns have been negligible as expected.
Ding Ding ding we have a winner.

My progression was similar ending up in FX having come from futures and commodities which came from options which came from singles.

You can fine tune size and leverage and really maximize it. If you have any FX questions shoot away. I love FX, it has been really really good to me.

I personally have never been able to trade fx scalping.

Personally Im a swing trader in FX.

I personally have never been able to trade fx scalping.

Personally Im a swing trader in FX.

I consistently lost money trying to scalp ES/6E futures. Not worth it, IMO. I've moved to swing trading, as well...big difference in results for me.

Any advice on where to start with swing trading? Too many "buzz words" out there to search blindly for resources.

Any advice on where to start with swing trading? Too many "buzz words" out there to search blindly for resources.

Honestly man, I've just researched a lot of different trading systems to figure out what suits my personality the best. I hated scalping for ticks intraday in the futures; it just became such a grind to put the screen time in every day. Since then, I've been moving into longer and longer timeframes to suit my schedule more, eventually getting to the daily timeframe. FX is nice for this because I simply don't have the account size to handle swing/position trades in the futures markets.

I pretty much just read and test out anything that interests me.

How about Babypips.com to learn the basics?

I have spent lot of time trying to decipher FX, and I really mean a lot, years... read tons of websites, played with lots of demo accounts and have lots of hours of "screen time" on my eyes. But never went for real, and in all honesty, never met a real person who consistently profit from FX. Two years ago I stopped all my research to start my come back to aviation business, now, several checkrides and couple of interviews I'm back flying and with enough time to start all over again with FX, this thread sparked my interest back in the topic.

A couple more books:

Profitable Candlestick Trading
The Disciplined Trader

Also, if you're looking for a free charting service, ThinkOrSwim from TD Ameritrade. Sign up for a free account, and you get free software- I can run all the same indicators I use on QCharts (the vastly superior, yet $200/mo, software) for free on ToS.

How about Babypips.com to learn the basics?

I have spent lot of time trying to decipher FX, and I really mean a lot, years... read tons of websites, played with lots of demo accounts and have lots of hours of "screen time" on my eyes. But never went for real, and in all honesty, never met a real person who consistently profit from FX. Two years ago I stopped all my research to start my come back to aviation business, now, several checkrides and couple of interviews I'm back flying and with enough time to start all over again with FX, this thread sparked my interest back in the topic.
Paging @fly22.

A couple more books:

Profitable Candlestick Trading
The Disciplined Trader

Also, if you're looking for a free charting service, ThinkOrSwim from TD Ameritrade. Sign up for a free account, and you get free software- I can run all the same indicators I use on QCharts (the vastly superior, yet $200/mo, software) for free on ToS.

Think or Swim has truly excellent software for the technical trader. Which I am not, but nice knowing it is free.

Back