Bonjour a la Paris!

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Ahh yes; question of the day. If "peu" is french for "small" how come there is so MUCH "poo" on the streets?
smile.gif

Maybe I should market a "Le Poop Scoop"?

See ya in a couple more days!!

Kristie says "bonjour"

We have the same problem in the UK with the poo in the parks...... one politician came up with the idea of glow in the dark dog food that way you do not step when you stagger home from the pub......he was the same politician who wanted to tow England down into the med - so we get good weather, and create jobs.

I hope you are having a good time in Paris!!!!

Hey ... how did you get out of my closet and get to Paris!?
tongue.gif

(note:see "where is Doug thread" to get joke)

Man, nice to be back to a 'normal' keyboard!
smile.gif

It was a good trip. Parisians, totally against what I've been told over the past month, are actually extremely friendly and helpful. But you can't presume everyone speaks English. Learn a little French and the locals totally warm up to you, even as you butcher the language!

Stay away from the "Latin Quarter" -- everyone says the left bank is great for food, but it's nothing more than a "Made for Americans" mall food court-type place where about 1 in 10 people are actually from France. Besides, the food stinks in the area because it's been bastardized to appeal to the "we need a sippy cup with milk, chicken fingers, two hamburgers and a large diet coke"-crowd.

The Eiffel tower is way bigger than you think it is. WAAAAY bigger.

They like Americans, but we're probably not close to their "Top Ten" list of concerns on a daily basis despite what the 24 hour cable news channels lead you to believe. They did get a kick out of the over-coverage of the hurricane.

I felt no ill will towards me being an American. I doubt if they really cared.

They eat mayonnaise with their fries, but it's not mayo like "Kraft". It's a may that's mixed with dijon mustard, almost more of a dijonnaise, but a little more volume of mayo than what we purchase here. It's actually very tasty!

A cheap 'pitchet' of wine at a quaint al-fresco brasserie is far better than the best US wine, and far cheaper than ordering a can of coke. You can get a pitcher of wine to serve four glasses for about $4 to $6 whereas a can of coke is about $3.65.

The Arc de Triomphe is a lot bigger than the pictures lead you to believe.

The Parisians take abou 2 hours for lunch and about 3 hours for dinner so if you're used to the TGI Fridays/Chilis "Dine 'n Dash", might as well find a McDonalds. The food, away from the popular tourist traps, is kickass.

They're also very polite. Lots of "bonjour", "bonsoir" and "au revoir" entering and exiting shops and restaraunts. The waiters aren't ignoring you, they're just busy because there is probably one waiter serving ten to fifteen tables.

The post office was clean, pleasant and helped Kristie and I lick stamps for postcards. And this was during the morning rush.

Airport security, now get this, we went thru security at Charles De Gaulle international. I was able to leave my shoes on, leave my laptop in the case and went through just fine. Seven hours later, I get to JFK, I was ordered to remove my belt, my shoes, my watch, my wallet take my laptop out of my backpack, put it into a seperate bin, have them all scanned and got yelled at, by the TSA, for holding up the line at the other end of the metal detector when I got redressed. What the F*$%$*#?

Glad you made it back safe and sound! I don't know about that mayo concoction for fries! We have fry sauce here in Utah! LOL. So did you bring us back anything?
wink.gif

I'm planning a trip to Paris (hopefully, if my passport comes quickly) middle of next month. Any tips? I'm planning on jumpseating on United out of ORD. First international trip, also first offline jump experience!

Cool , some France gouge. I'm leaving at the end of this week to go spend a month in this area. I figured I was going to get spit on when going through France. I can't wait for the three hour meals now, that's worth changing residence just for that.
laugh.gif
Glad you had a good time.

It is amazing how the media can relaly put a spin on things. From CNN you would think they would not stand us.

Welcome back!
I've been to France a few times, but never to Paris. I really enjoyed all the cheeses, which were far better than any found here. The people were very nice to my sister and I, but my Dad had a few difficulties (we stayed at a hotel that had fur blankets and he is a vegan, animal rights guy, so he had issues from the start). Other than his run-ins, the people were very welcoming and eager to show us around. I really enjoyed myself and am looking forward to visiting Paris someday.

Hi Doug,

I am in Paris now, and I couldn't agree with you more. The people are extremely nice, especially if you show some interest in their culture. I think the people that tell you the French are rude are the ones that say "Why the hell don't you speak American?"

Anyway, did you make it up to the Moulin Rouge? Sure, its a tourist spot, but my what a neighborhood...

Anyone else in France?

Grayson

[ QUOTE ]
It is amazing how the media can relaly put a spin on things. From CNN you would think they would not stand us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, the French were great. I really thought I was going to have to use the old "Yah! We're from Canada!" but it was pretty obvious we were Americans and everyone was very helpful.

The only problem I had was some east Indian lady in Reims that was bugging me for pocket change. I guess "BACKDAF*KUP" doesn't translate well!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Doug,

I am in Paris now, and I couldn't agree with you more. The people are extremely nice, especially if you show some interest in their culture. I think the people that tell you the French are rude are the ones that say "Why the hell don't you speak American?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I usually started everything in French and always filtered in "Je parle francais un peu" in which they'd be extra helpful instead of me starting out with "Ya'll speak 'merican here?"
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, did you make it up to the Moulin Rouge? Sure, its a tourist spot, but my what a neighborhood...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah! We spent a week there but still ran out of time and didn't have a lot of interest in the big "windmill"
smile.gif
We did, however, head out to Reims to tour the Veuve Clicquot champange cave and hit Versailles twice. Once for the palace (took all damn day) and another time for the fountain show on sunday.

We are going to be here for two weeks, and I still don't think we are going to get it all in, especially if we include a couple of decompression days.

Did you go to the Louvre? We are planning on sinking a whole day on that one. Versailles is next on the list.

I saw Jim Morrison's grave today (a family member INSISTED that we go). It looked just like the other 5,000 graves. Oh well, I guess it is hard to look famous when you are dead.

I agree with you about the Latin Quarter, though the Jardin du Luxembourg is nice.

Cheers,

G

I will agree with the experiences Doug and others have had in Paris and throughout France ... I've been twice in the last four years. Summer of 2000 I went to Paris and areas of Northern France and loved it, this past winter I went skiing in the French Alps in Chamonix, about 80 km from Geneva. Both times the people were very nice, most speak at least some English, and all are very patient with our attempts to butcher their language. The food is absolutely to die for, the wine is outstanding, and the countryside is beautiful. Their politicians don't like our politicians and vice versa, but regular French folks like regular Americans just fine. Like Doug, I was pretty quickly fingered as a Yank ... you could tell because they'd switch from fast French to very slow French or labored English to say hello. They are polite people ... if you bump in to someone or are navigating through a crowded area (small stores or the Metro for example) a few "Pardon"s will get you a long way. Bonjours and au revoirs are quite common and very refreshing, actually, from store clerks and such.

If you leave Paris make sure to go up to Normandy ... you will never have a more solemn feeling in your life than you will as you walk through the cemetary and look out over Omaha Beach. It takes very little imagination to see the allies storming the shores just as it must have been 59 years ago. Plus it is interesting to be standing on "American soil" in Europe ... the cemetary has been ceded to us by the people of France. There are many other military cemeteries in Europe ... my mom and I went to one in Belgium and visited the final resting place of my great uncle who was killed in the Battle of Remagen Bridge.

In any case, for those going, don't hesitate ... it's a wonderful place to visit and definitely worth the trip. Paris can be pricey but the rest of the country is pretty economical to visit. Don't even try driving in Paris, as it is nearly suicidal to do so, and the Metro is an excellent way to get around. In the rest of the country, driving is quite simple and they do use the same side of the road as Americans do. Rental cars are available, but nearly all cars in Europe have manual transmissions ... so if you haven't learned that skill yet, do it first!

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
Did you go to the Louvre? We are planning on sinking a whole day on that one. Versailles is next on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, we didn't do the Louvre but we did Jardin Tuilieres (sp?) which is right in front. We decided to spend a good solid day at the Orsay, which was kickass!

Versailles is an excellent example of what NOT to build when your countrymen are dying of starvation. I guess that thing took 1/2 of Frances GNP to build back in the day. The Looney Louie's were nuts! You'll get a kick out of M. Antoinnettes humble little "play farm" too. Absolutely worth the visit!

[ QUOTE ]
The Arc de Triomphe is a lot bigger than the pictures lead you to believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you discover the tunnel, or did you do the crazy American tourist thing and dodge 12 lanes of traffic on the roundabout to get out there?
grin.gif

Ahh yes!

Found the tunnel!

I wouldn't wish that "round-a-bout" on my worst nemesis. I still can't believe how tall that thing was. It was interesting how you're supposed to stand at the obleisk at Place Concorde (people taking control of France), look down the Champs-Elysee, through the Arc de Triomphe (France being a world power under Napoleon), to the big arche at La Defense which displays the nationalist era where corporations have more power than nations. I'm still trying to figure out if that's supposed to be a bad/good thing.

Everything is a lot bigger than it seems. Kristie and I walked down to Notre Dame and I think I must have involuntarily screamed "holy sh*t" it was so breathtakingly large and ubergothic.

Ha ! finally...nice not to be bashed for once !!!
tongue.gif
(guess where i'm from!)
Doug, I'm glad you had a good time in my native country and thanks (no really Thaaaaanks) for putting a good word ! As you point out...News are not to partial when it comes to France....
mad.gif

I am going to see some family next month for two weeks and i can't wait !!!

A little correction on CDG security....sure they are not as stupid when it comes to belts and laptops...but last time i passed through, i had my wife boarding pass and she had mine...for the domestic connection from PHL.....
confused.gif
confused.gif

Back