Bombardier Global Express E-11A 1/27/2020

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
A Bombardier E-11A operated by the U.S. Air Force crashed in the Deh Yak district in Afghanistan. Videos from the scene show the majority of the aircraft having been consumed by fire.
The aircraft, part of 430th EECS wing, was outfitted with a Battlefield Airborne Communications Node (BACN).

106357085-1580140407256ap_20027511686056.jpg

KABUL — A U.S. surveillance plane crashed Monday in Taliban-controlled territory in central Afghanistan.
Col. Sonny Leggett, a spokesman for U.S. forces in Afghanistan, confirmed in a statement that a U.S. Bombardier E-11A crashed in Ghazni province.
“While the cause of [the] crash is under investigation, there are no indications the crash was caused by enemy fire. We will provide additional information as it becomes available,” he said.

More Here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...44b184-4107-11ea-99c7-1dfd4241a2fe_story.html

106357085-1580140407256ap_20027511686056.jpg

KABUL — A U.S. surveillance plane crashed Monday in Taliban-controlled territory in central Afghanistan.
Col. Sonny Leggett, a spokesman for U.S. forces in Afghanistan, confirmed in a statement that a U.S. Bombardier E-11A crashed in Ghazni province.
“While the cause of [the] crash is under investigation, there are no indications the crash was caused by enemy fire. We will provide additional information as it becomes available,” he said.

More Here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...44b184-4107-11ea-99c7-1dfd4241a2fe_story.html
Just like the Iranian missiles caused no injuries.

Latest info I saw was two crew perished, and a terrorist group is claiming to have shot it down.

Latest info I saw was two crew perished, and Taliban is claiming to have shot it down.
FIFY. They are terrorists, but US also happens to recognize them as an official subject in talks.
Officially they are also claiming "key CIA officers" killed in the crash.
Unofficially Michael D’Andrea is claimed to have been on that plane.

The BACN jet did not have CIA people on it. It's an automated airborne comm relay for all of us flying in theater that lack certain comm capabilities. It's quite important in AFG given the C2 nuances there, but it isn't anything spooky. The USAF literally says everything it does in open source reporting.

That being said, super sad to hear the crew didn't make it. I'm positive they didn't expect this to be the outcome of that deployment, much less their families. Terrible news.

Last edited:
ex
The BACN jet did not have CIA people on it. It's an automated airborne comm relay for all of us flying in theater that lack certain comm capabilities. It's quite important in AFG given the C2 nuances there, but it isn't anything spooky. The USAF literally says everything it does in open source reporting.

That being said, super sad to hear the crew didn't make it. I'm positive they didn't expect this to be the outcome of that deployment, much less their families. Terrible news.

I confused this platform with the Compass Call platform. I thought the Global Hawk was the primary BCN aircraft.

FIFY. They are terrorists, but US also happens to recognize them as an official subject in talks.
Officially they are also claiming "key CIA officers" killed in the crash.
Unofficially Michael D’Andrea is claimed to have been on that plane.

The Kremlin is now reporting his death as a result of the crash.

The Kremlin is now reporting his death as a result of the crash.
Went to look - this morning there were “D’Andrea’s death has been refuted” articles, they are gone now. Nothing new in the “killed” department either though - so not sure where the Kremlin is reporting anything really.

Interesting how comments on a thread about this accident was shut down VERY QUICKLY on a some what popular aviation Facebook group that trends to Military Pilots....

A mechanical issue is believed to have caused the E-11A to crash on Monday in Ghazni province, a defense official said. A second official told ABC News that the pilots had declared an in-flight emergency.

ex

I confused this platform with the Compass Call platform. I thought the Global Hawk was the primary BCN aircraft.

G Hawk is actually really limited for that role. Same with most retran from the unmanned platforms.

the G-11 can option a lot more retrans capability to more customers for a given footprint.

Compass Call is a whole different job from the special use 130s. If you ever get a chance and are at BAF you should go meet and talk to those guys about what they really can/can’t do that isn’t in the standard power point briefs we all see on sharedrives. It is a very odd mix of 1950s and 23rd century technology and a whole lot of weird added on items in between.

Latest info I saw was two crew perished, and a terrorist group is claiming to have shot it down.

Standard procedure for them. They were claiming the same for the Apache that flew into terrain last year.

None of their followers reading twitter known any better.

Compass Call is a whole different job from the special use 130s. If you ever get a chance and are at BAF you should go meet and talk to those guys about what they really can/can’t do that isn’t in the standard power point briefs we all see on sharedrives. It is a very odd mix of 1950s and 23rd century technology and a whole lot of weird added on items in between.

They’re all based here at DMA. Interesting platform. And the most non-tactical C-130 job around, flown like an airliner :)

they’re going to enjoy their new Gulfstreams.

Back