Bold type airport elevation.

wannafly

First, I thought I would be simple. But I spent several days to find out the answer. But I failed.

If you look at the Jeppesen approach chart "approach briefing information section", you can see Apt. Elev., TDZE, RWY elevations. But some elevations are written in bold type and some elevations are not.

I don't know the difference. I looked up every book that I have and I googled it. I asked this question to my CFI friends. But nobody knows the exact difference.

If you know the answer, please help me to find the answer.

Thanks. ^^

KakaoTalk_20160721_125800541.png

KakaoTalk_20160721_125820463.png

Jeppesen Chart

CJU 11-4 ILS Z Rwy 25 : Rwy 76' (not bold)
CJU 11-2 ILS Z Rwy 07 : Rwy 87' (bold)

JFK 21-1 ILS Rwy 4L : TDZE 13' (not bold)
JFK 21-2 ILS Rwy 4R : TDZE 12' (bold)

and so on....

Last edited:
My guess is it relates to the altitude shown on both the Briefing Strip (TM!) and the profile view. The profile view can show different altitudes for different runways.

flipping through JFK, the only thing I could find was that all the bolded TDZE numbers were from plates dated in 2013-2014. maybe just a formatting change?

I read through the JFK IAPs and, when considering what Collins wrote in that post, it looks like IAPs modified after Sept 26, 2014 were probably changed to THRE for ICAO conformity. After the the problem with 91.175 was brought to their attention, these IAPs changed again to show the TDZE. Note that the font is no longer in italics either. Actually, in that whole row of the briefing strip, the box labels have all changed, too (no italics). Since there is no guidance in the Jepp manuals, I don't think there is a significance to this. It's just a formatting issue.

Then again, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and this opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. :biggrin:

My guess is it relates to the altitude shown on both the Briefing Strip (TM!) and the profile view. The profile view can show different altitudes for different runways.

No, sir. The altitudes is same even though the profile view is bold and not bold.
Here is the website for the chart from the Korean Aeronautical Information Publication. Can't directly link to the actual chart for you, sorry! Not sure why the Jeppesen chart doesn't have it in bold.
http://ais.casa.go.kr/

Perhaps e-mail Jeppesen, and they can further clarify. It might just be an oversight. http://ww1.jeppesen.com/main/corporate/company/feedback.jsp

Thanks. I sent a mail to Jeppesen.
If I get an answer from the Jeppesen, I will post the answer here.

I got this answer from Jeppesen.

Apologies this has caused some confusion.
There is no significance between bold and un-bold Apt. Elev., TDZE, RWY elevations.
Charting Standards made a specification change to remove the bold for Apt, TDZE, and Rwy end elevations aimed at chart simplification, but this is a slow process and so some charts will have bold and others will not.

That's interesting about the Jeppesen response saying that it's just a formatting item. I was looking at a chart and noticed that the Airport Elevation was plain, but the TDZE was in bold. I figured it had to do with highlighting the differences in elevation. The Airport Elevation is measured at one point, and is reported as the airport elevation. THE TDZE can be, and often is, different from the airport elevation.

I got this answer from Jeppesen.

Apologies this has caused some confusion.
There is no significance between bold and un-bold Apt. Elev., TDZE, RWY elevations.
Charting Standards made a specification change to remove the bold for Apt, TDZE, and Rwy end elevations aimed at chart simplification, but this is a slow process and so some charts will have bold and others will not.
There should be some batch script that could go through and remove the bold typeface I would think. I haven't coded in 15 years though.

That's interesting about the Jeppesen response saying that it's just a formatting item. I was looking at a chart and noticed that the Airport Elevation was plain, but the TDZE was in bold. I figured it had to do with highlighting the differences in elevation. The Airport Elevation is measured at one point, and is reported as the airport elevation. THE TDZE can be, and often is, different from the airport elevation.

The Jeppesen response was specific to the chart in question. Jeppesen is moving most operations relating to charts and programming to being outsourced in India, so change will be very slow.

Back