Boeing Wins Contract For New Air Force One Fleet

I had to deal with AF1 as a line service guy after the Northridge earthquake, Clinton in the 707 at KBUR. It was much easier than I expected, The Secret Service was very thorough, but they were also polite and extremely professional, as was the crew of the airplane. I kept asking "What's that for?" while I was fueling it, the pilot simply replied that he wasn't allowed to talk about that, over and over. I finally gave up. At the end of my shift my truck was blocked in by protestors/supporters of the President and I couldn't leave which made me very angry, a simple conversation with the Secret Service guy I'd been dealing with and magically 15 minutes later it was clear sailing. The only other bad part of that day was looking up at the roofs of the surrounding hangars and seeing snipers with their scopes pointed at me, that's not a good feeling.

James Earl Jones was aboard the SAC EC-135 Looking Glass as the commanding general. They intercepted and impacted the E-4B with the acting President onboard.

James Earl Jones? I think of this when I think of him in an aircraft having to anything to do with nuclear weapons.

Slim Pickins was awesome as Major Kong! I use the line about hair lipping everybody on Bear Creek, and people just look confused, unless they are of a certain age. Peter Sellers was supposed to play that character too, but decided that it was hard enough to play the other two.

@ALifeAloft -

By Dawn's Early Light is actually a pretty good movie - it's less mindless than the others you cited. It's an HBO original, which, curiously, put it in the TV Movie category.

Powers Boothe and Rebecca DeMornay are both in it - actually star in it, although James Earl Jones' role is the highlight of the film.

Worth watching. I liked it.

Worth it just to see her as a BUFF pilot. At least in the 80s she was hot...for a BUFF pilot.
90093.jpeg

The only other bad part of that day was looking up at the roofs of the surrounding hangars and seeing snipers with their scopes pointed at me, that's not a good feeling.

Better them than at a Peruvian airbase where you told to remain in your seats during refueling or you will be shot. Actually, its probably no surprise that airline is no longer in business. The trip was more than interesting....

Coincidentally, Khalifa bin Hamad Al Thani (Qatar) just got his new jjjjjjet recently.
2582110 (1).jpg

k1.jpg

I like this newish trend of letting our allies foot the development cost of special equipment (not the F-35, still lolling at Chesty Puller's boys wanting to declare IOC this year so they have something to put on their new LHA for its first deployment)

I believe we still have 4 E-4Bs in inventory

Actually a few of them fly out of Offutt. Not sure how many they have.

Side note I live close to their final apporach path and watching an E4 come in as low as they do is always a hoot.

Actually a few of them fly out of Offutt. Not sure how many they have.

Side note I live close to their final apporach path and watching an E4 come in as low as they do is always a hoot.

They're all based out of Offutt with the Wing there. Very interesting and capable aircraft indeed.

Back