Boeing to pay $200M to settle SEC charges

Bought off. What a surprise.

On a side note, read an Atlantic article about the Ethiopian CA, after they RE-engaged the stab trim cutout switches, he was holding back pressure on the yoke and tried engaging the AP. Of course it wouldn’t take. Then in his desperation to get the AP to work, he released all back pressure (plunging the nose down even more) and tried to re-engage the AP again. Of course it didn’t take. The AP turns on in a properly trimmed plane. It is not a crux to fix a rapidly changing flight profile situation. I was shocked, but not surprised to read what he did.

We’ve seen major disasters where the CVR showed the CA requested AP to be ON in their “desperation” (translation: I can’t fly this or fix it, hopefully the AP can)…

Flash Airlines 604
Kenya Airways 507

Anyway, I know I go against the grain, but after Lion Air, ALL 737 crews knew about MCAS. They knew how to disable it: including Stab trim cutout, and even flaps out of 0. There’s so much Ethiopian could have done, knowing already about MCAS.

On a side note, read an Atlantic article about the Ethiopian CA, after they RE-engaged the stab trim cutout switches, he was holding back pressure on the yoke and tried engaging the AP. Of course it wouldn’t take. Then in his desperation to get the AP to work, he released all back pressure (plunging the nose down even more) and tried to re-engage the AP again. Of course it didn’t take. The AP turns on in a properly trimmed plane. It is not a crux to fix a rapidly changing flight profile situation. I was shocked, but not surprised to read what he did.

We’ve seen major disasters where the CVR showed the CA requested AP to be ON in their “desperation” (translation: I can’t fly this or fix it, hopefully the AP can)…

Flash Airlines 604
Kenya Airways 507

Anyway, I know I go against the grain, but after Lion Air, ALL 737 crews knew about MCAS. They knew how to disable it: including Stab trim cutout, and even flaps out of 0. There’s so much Ethiopian could have done, knowing already about MCAS.

That's fair, but still doesn't absolve Boeing's legal and moral liability.

Yeah I know the constant drumbeat of bleating from the New Balance crowd is probably annoying, but they'r...er crap I guess WE're right on this one. Fly the airplane. *clickity clickity*, pilot stuff.

Flash Airlines 604
Kenya Airways 507

turning the AP on also disables MCAS iirc

Back