Blue Origin astronaut Glen de Vries dies in plane crash

Is an SP model 172 authorized for spins? I vaguely remember having to do our training in the older models or a 152.

Fix

What was his aviation background/experience?

The FAA Airman Database says PP/ASEL with an instrument rating.

What was his aviation background/experience?

The FAA Airman Database says PP/ASEL with an instrument rating.

devries (the astronaut) was the commercial student. I actually talked to him on his way to the space flight. He was flying a Bonanza if I recall.

That's what a BRS system is designed to do after all.... :rolleyes:
Many aircraft's are fitted with a spin recovery chute during testing for certification.

A spin recovery chute and a BRS are two very different things. A spin chute is installed in the tail, and functions to lower the nose of the aircraft, at which point it is jettisoned and the aircraft recovers to a normal landing.

Spin_parachute_system_on_Grumman_X-29_no.2_(EC89-216-5).jpg

That's why this stuff should be performed in a Cessna 150/152 aerobat, When in doubt, let go everything and it rights itself (as long as you have enough alt). You can also fit a BRS system in the 150/172/182. just saying.
The idea of spin training is to increase your chances of survival in case of unintentional spin down the line
Doing it even in a C172 is fairly pointless. If the place I was going to instruct at had Tomahawks, I'd ask for a spin checkout in that

A spin recovery chute and a BRS are two very different things. A spin chute is installed in the tail, and functions to lower the nose of the aircraft, at which point it is jettisoned and the aircraft recovers to a normal landing.

View attachment 61813
And your point is ?? in your initial post you seem to imply that a BRS system couldn't save an aircraft in a spin, I mentioned the spin recovery chute to illustrate the successful deployability of a chute during the spin phase of an aircraft.

Last edited:
And your point is ?? in your initial post you seem to imply that BRS couldn't save an aircraft in a spin, I mentioned the spin recovery chute to illustrate the successful deployability of a chute during the spin phase of an aircraft.

No, I asked if a BRS chute can save an airplane in a spin, cause I had no idea. But I appreciate your snarky response.

The idea of spin training is to increase your chances of survival in case of unintentional spin down the line
Doing it even in a C172 is fairly pointless. If the place I was going to instruct at had Tomahawks, I'd ask for a spin checkout in that
Interesting read on the traumahawk... :biggrin:

Interesting read on the traumahawk... :biggrin:

Unlike a one liner in Cessna poh, the Tomahawk is like solid three pages on spin recovery. Don't remember now, but something like "if the spin entry was aggravated by this, the spin will look like that, and expect to need to do as follows to recover"

Unlike a one liner in Cessna poh, the Tomahawk is like solid three pages on spin recovery. Don't remember now, but something like "if the spin entry was aggravated by this, the spin will look like that, and expect to need to do as follows to recover"
I remember in my old training days, there was a rental tomahawk (cheapest aircraft at the FBO), my CFI jokingly said "No we're not dying in this thing".
I spent more moolah and never questioned him. He is the reason I don't have a single min logged in that model.

I remember in my old training days, there was a rental tomahawk (cheapest aircraft at the FBO), my CFI jokingly said "No we're not dying in this thing".
I spent more moolah and never questioned him. He is the reason I don't have a single min logged in that model.
It was my first "grown up" airplane after getting my private. Check myself out in it after reading a book because no CFIs in sight type deal. Maybe that's why, but I actually loved that plane. 50 rpm over idle = greaser every damn time. Overall good memories

It was my first "grown up" airplane after getting my private. Check myself out in it after reading a book because no CFIs in sight type deal. Maybe that's why, but I actually loved that plane. 50 rpm over idle = greaser every damn time. Overall good memories

i have about 10 hours in a Tomahawk from my lessons when a teenager. I didn’t know anything about it’s spin characteristics and also enjoyed flying it.

If I recall, the Tomahawk was an answer to CFI's who asked for an airplane that provided a true spin/recovery that they could teach. So Piper gave it to them. But then people died and they got hammered. Like the yard darts when I was a kid but now everyone plays stupid bean bag games. Anywho...I didn't do this purposely because I wasn't wearing a parachute and that would be wrong but...I inadvertently entered an accelerated stall and one-turn spin along the horizontal plane one time and it was a very passable maneuver that some would call "snap roll". And the Tomahawk did a better one than the 150/152. Just sayin. It was a unfairly maligned airplane. I like maligned airplanes for the most part.

Like the 177, I rented the Traumahawk because no one else did, and I could fly it pretty much whenever I wanted. Plus even then I liked weird, maligned garbage. I did spin it, once, and it did what it said on the tin and ACTUALLY SPAN. No trouble recovering. Of course, this was long after they'd added a rib or two in the wings to prevent them from bending in to a rather ehm "unrecoverable" aerodynamic shape. Or so goes the rumor.

I would definitely advise not looking at the tail when you stall it, though. Thing looks like it's waving at you. As in "bye-bye".

Edit: It was so much more comfortable than a 150/52 for a long cross-country, too. You were actually sitting in a seat that was human-sized, your legs weren't at an 80 degree angle, and you weren't ALWAYS swapping shoulder-sweat with whoever was in the other seat. I say this as someone who was at the time 5'10 and ~140lbs. How anyone much bigger than I am suffers through hundreds of hours in a 150/52 is beyond me.

Last edited:
Like the 177, I rented the Traumahawk because no one else did, and I could fly it pretty much whenever I wanted. Plus even then I liked weird, maligned garbage. I did spin it, once, and it did what it said on the tin and ACTUALLY SPAN. No trouble recovering. Of course, this was long after they'd added a rib or two in the wings to prevent them from bending in to a rather ehm "unrecoverable" aerodynamic shape. Or so goes the rumor.

I would definitely advise not looking at the tail when you stall it, though. Thing looks like it's waving at you. As in "bye-bye".

Edit: It was so much more comfortable than a 150/52 for a long cross-country, too. You were actually sitting in a seat that was human-sized, your legs weren't at an 80 degree angle, and you weren't ALWAYS swapping shoulder-sweat with whoever was in the other seat. I say this as someone who was at the time 5'10 and ~140lbs. How anyone much bigger than I am suffers through hundreds of hours in a 150/52 is beyond me.
As far as looking around at your aircraft inflight, if you ever find yourself in an R-22 don't look up through the moonroof at the mast. Ever.

Back