Big Scary Forum

Clint Rossi

Hey everyone!

This is only the second big forum I've joined, and I feel a little bit out of my depths here, so I figured I'd start with a new member thread.

My name is Clint. I am a junior at a massachusetts public high school, and have been looking seriously at a career in aviation for several years now. Any Oakley Forum members may know me as xxmetal, or Sir Rossi, but I will skip the anonymities for now.

I look forward to learning as much as I can from all of you. If anyone has a career path story they'd like to share, please let me know, as I am open to all options. I just want to fly ;)

Welcome, and don't worry about @Derg, his living room is pretty sanitary. Except for a few characters, you know who you are! Plus the shag carpet here is groovy man.

Not a scary forum at all, young buck. Good people, and never forget you can grow personally through the perspective of those with whom you disagree. Learn from each one who shares with you on your journey through life.

Welcome.

As far as forums for professional pilots, this place is one of the better ones. Threads are USUALLY helpful, most of the posters USUALLY have good information, and you will USUALLY miss out on a lot of the Tom Dickery that takes place at the "other site." With that said there are a few here who are really dead set on their opinions, but the moderators usually keep them in line.

A few thread topics to avoid...

1. "I wan to be an airline pilot so bad I'll do it for free"
2. "Is it wrong to fly over square?"
3. "Pitch for airspeed, and power for rate of descent, or the other way around?"
4. Guns
5. Tipping the maid.

Have fun, and welcome. Ask any questions you have. Someone will answer them.

Welcome from another Clint who never did well with the anonymity thing. Actually, I'm just not clever enough to think up a good username, but that's not why you called.

My path is pretty typical:
Earned basic ratings (Private, Instrument, Commercial)
Became a CFI at a local school
Took a few "odd-jobs" like pipeline patrol and photo flights
Earned advanced ratings (Multi-engine and MEI)
Went to a regional airline when I reached 1500 hours of flight time
Biggest Advice:
1) Make sure flying is what you want to do. It takes a lot of sacrifice and doesn't make sense to those who don't have a passion for it. For the same amount of time and money you could be a lawyer, doctor, or engineer. The reason you stick it out is because you still love seeing the ground drop away every time you go to work.
2) Read
3) Don't get into debt during flight training
4) Never pass up an opportunity to fly (unless someone's asking you to do something stupid)
5) Read some more​

Last edited:
Who needs anonymity when everyone in this industry knows you after three months anyway.

Welcome aboard, Masshole. Well, "Fellow New Englander" since I have to play nice... :)
As for career stories... I went to school with my head in the clouds, got kicked in the face by reality and (lack of) money and decided to work on the ramp instead, figuring my life all the meanwhile.

To mirror the guy above me,
1) IT Helpdesk in college...
2) Got the hell out of that mess
3) Got into jet fuel and de-icing
4) huffed too many fumes and got a dispatcher's certificate
5) got picked up by a regional after working at a 135 and here I are

I don't have any advice. Don't drink the jet. :D

Welcome.

This was the first forum I was an active member of. I've actually been a member of APC (gasp!) longer, but it's a friendlier environment over here on JC for sure. :)

There's an Oakley Sunglasses Forum?

And welcome!
Yeah I'm not really sure what would be worth talking about. I've never really wanted to talk about MY sunglasses. Hm, I guess I could see a thread about how stupid I look in their products.

Back