Big mistake?

bidderswede

I took a job flying freight in twin turbine airplanes in the Northeast, but had to leave my family back in Texas.
By family, I mean Wife and step daughter.(They have never been outside Texas and surrounding states).

Anyway.... To make the story short...

I had NO PIC turbine time, but plenty of multi time Part 135 cargo going up there. (Multi Turbine PIC looks good in my logbook).

The plan was for them to come join me in the summer, when my daughter was out of school, but we decided against it due to several issues. (related to them mostly).

After alot of whining from them, about me coming back home, I left that job and came back. ( After 8 months apart).

I had been talking to 2 different local companies before I left, about interviewing, but I gave my company 30 days notice, which left me unemployed when I got back home. ( It's a couple of days drive back, and the positions got filled during that time).

It's now my 3rd month as an unemployed pilot, and I'm pretty sure I screwed myself by leaving.

Side note:
My wife has worked for her company for over 10 yrs, and she is in a pretty stable position.

I have left alot of stuff out, but I'd like to get some input.

:panic:

It sounds like you made a choice to pick your family over a job. Only you can choose if that was right or not. This career can be very harsh on familes as you well know.

Yes multi PIC turbine time is great and all, but the job market is tough everywhere. I had about 6 months off of flying and got back into it (with 0 pic turbine). You may have to settle for something that keeps you flying, just not something that yields PIC turbine, or even just turbine SIC time.

You can get back into flying after a long time away from it, you just have that much more to overcome.

To be blunt, you may find yourself between flying, or living where you and your family wants. I know I'm being overly simple, but when you get right down to it, that's what you're looking at.

You have made a good choice if the rest of your family is comfortable with that. If she is supportive of your decision then so be it. It's hard to move all your family (grandmother, grandfather, and such) to where your job wants you to be. Take it as an experience and don't feel guilty about a missed opportunity. Obviously, the pay wasn't worth it. Hammer on!

You have made a good choice if the rest of your family is comfortable with that. If she is supportive of your decision then so be it. It's hard to move all your family (grandmother, grandfather, and such) to where your job wants you to be. Take it as an experience and don't feel guilty about a missed opportunity. Obviously, the pay wasn't worth it. Hammer on!

What splash said.
Jeopardizing 10 years of steady employment for some low wage job flying left or right seat in the Northeast would be crazy at best. Aviation will be here when you come back - it won't be any better or have any more righteousness about itself (all Pilot Employment will eventually be sold to the lowest bidder) but, there will be jobs every once in a while, that can make you remember how a cockpit looks like. I was only away for 4 months to pursue this fake dream - and regret it bitterly. Burning the money would have made more sense. Neither the industry, nor the people in it are worth the effort - take what comes along and play the game of flying for food. Help others just as much as they help you - and focus on your own life and family. It's what matters when you get old and cranky - anyways.

Congrats on choosing you family. I never realized how tough it would be until I started flying 121. It hit home when I was in my hotel room and my wife called telling me my daughter took her first step. Hmm chilling in a hotel room, hanging with crew members who I really don't care much about(great ppl though) while I miss out on my kids life. Not worth it, I am in the process of walking way from flying. Sacfricing family is not worth it.

I agree with all of the above. Keep beating the bushes and you will find something. Good call. Good luck to you.

Back