Biennial flight review

TP_Express

Biennial flight review

Of the following certificates and ratings which one would determine my BFR.

CPL - check ride November 20/06

CFI - check ride on May 23/07

CFII - check ride on June 15/07

MEI - check ride on Aug 8/07

Or When is my BFR due ?

Sec. 61.56

Flight review.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (f) of this section, a flight review consists of a minimum of 1 hour of flight training and 1 hour of ground training. The review must include:
(1) A review of the current general operating and flight rules of part 91 of this chapter; and
(2) A review of those maneuvers and procedures that, at the discretion of the person giving the review, are necessary for the pilot to demonstrate the safe exercise of the privileges of the pilot certificate.
(b) Glider pilots may substitute a minimum of three instructional flights in a glider, each of which includes a flight to traffic pattern altitude, in lieu of the 1 hour of flight training required in paragraph (a) of this section.
(c) Except as provided in paragraphs (d), (e), and (g) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command, that person has--
(1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated by an authorized instructor; and
(2) A logbook endorsed from an authorized instructor who gave the review certifying that the person has satisfactorily completed the review.
(d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, passed a pilot proficiency check conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege need not accomplish the flight review required by this section.
(e) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, satisfactorily accomplished one or more phases of an FAA-sponsored pilot proficiency award program need not accomplish the flight review required by this section.
(f) A person who holds a current flight instructor certificate who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, satisfactorily completed a renewal of a flight instructor certificate under the provisions in Sec. 61.197 need not accomplish the 1 hour of ground training specified in paragraph (a) of this section.
(g) A student pilot need not accomplish the flight review required by this section provided the student pilot is undergoing training for a certificate and has a current solo flight endorsement as required under Sec. 61.87 of this part.
(h) The requirements of this section may be accomplished in combination with the requirements of Sec. 61.57 and other applicable recent experience requirements at the discretion of the authorized instructor conducting the flight review.
(i) A flight simulator or flight training device may be used to meet the flight review requirements of this section subject to the following conditions:
(1) The flight simulator or flight training device must be used in accordance with an approved course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter.
(2) Unless the flight review is undertaken in a flight simulator that is approved for landings, the applicant must meet the takeoff and landing requirements of Sec. 61.57(a) or Sec. 61.57(b) of this part.
(3) The flight simulator or flight training device used must represent an aircraft or set of aircraft for which the pilot is rated.

Thats what i thought it was on my CPL, but the answer differed with every CFI i spoke too. Just out of curiosity why couldn't it be the CFI or CFII or MEI ?

Thats what i thought it was on my CPL, but the answer differed with every CFI i spoke too. Just out of curiosity why couldn't it be the CFI or CFII or MEI ?

That's a pretty good question! Some would argue that a CFI certificate isn't a " . . . pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege". I'd go as far as understanding that logic.

My interpretation is that any checkride supplants a BFR, every DPE I've ever had has agreed with that. My wording when I did my CFI-A was "If they've passed a checkride..." and I've never gotten questioned about that. Besides the FAA the worlds real authority agrees with me. When I passed my double-I I called my insurance company to see if I'd get a break on my owners policy and they said no but they would update my BFR date.

Of the following certificates and ratings which one would determine my BFR.

CPL

because the reg, as you cited, says

or a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege need not accomplish the flight review required by this section.
and an instructor certificate is not a pilot certificate. See how the certificates are broken down in the regs:
§ 61.5 Certificates and ratings issued under this part.
(a) The following certificates are issued under this part to an applicant who satisfactorily accomplishes the training and certification requirements for the certificate sought:

(1) Pilot certificates -
(i) Student pilot.
(ii) Sport pilot.
(iii) Recreational pilot.
(iv) Private pilot.
(v) Commercial pilot.
(v) Airline transport pilot.
(2) Flight instructor certificates.
(3) Ground instructor certificates.

Most DE's and probably most FAA Inspector's aren't aware of how the regulation actually reads, so the odds of your getting caught are low. My view, though, is that you wouldn't have much of a defense should this come to the attention of an Inspector who did know. As well as not having a current Flight Review, you're demonstrating that you don't know what a pilot certificate is. ;)

Easiest route, IMO, is to get the instructor who signed you off for your last checkride to sign you off for a Flight Review.

Hey, AOPA has finally corrected their web page:

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/topics/fltrvw.html

===============<snip>=======================

The Flight Review

A flight review is not required if the pilot, within the 24-calendar-month period:
  • Completed one or more phases of the FAA "Wings" program;
  • Received a new pilot certificate (sport, recreational, private, commercial, or ATP). The FAA has determined that the flight instructor certificate does not meet this requirement;
  • Received a new rating (instrument, multiengine, or glider);
  • Flies for a Part 121 (air carrier) or 135 (air taxi) operation and satisfied the appropriate proficiency checks.
===============<snip>=======================

Thanks for the correction, I guess that means I'll just have to go to Browns and get my splash rating!

Theo, you could of asked me and saved yourself the trouble :)

Thats like the first thing we covered in CFIA training haha.

Military instrument proficiency checkrides also count as BFRs, although I'm surprised the AOPA webpage doesn't say that.

My interpretation is that any checkride supplants a BFR, every DPE I've ever had has agreed with that. My wording when I did my CFI-A was "If they've passed a checkride..." and I've never gotten questioned about that. Besides the FAA the worlds real authority agrees with me. When I passed my double-I I called my insurance company to see if I'd get a break on my owners policy and they said no but they would update my BFR date.
Just remember that DPEs are not lawyers and their individual interpretation of the regs is not necessarily the official FAA interpretation. The same can certainly be said for insurance companies. I had a former FAA inspector tell me he thought instructor ratings counted, but again the same applies to inspectors and believe it or not, even the FSDOs don't know what the hell they are talking about sometimes. I'm with Lloyd and tgrayson on this one. An instructor certificate is not a pilot certificate. So it, and any rating associated with it dosn't count for the BFR. And BTW, as much as they would like to be, the FAA is by no means the "world's real authority". :D

Maybe some of you can help me with a related question. Do landings in a CRJ count toward currency for all multi-engine aircraft or just for the CRJ? Obviously if I did 3 landings in a Seminole they would not count toward currency in the CRJ, becuase it requires a type rating, but if I read the regulation correctly (sorry don't have it with me to quote word for word) but it states that to carry passengers, you must within 90 days perform 3 takeoffs and landings in the same category and class and type if type rating is required. So it seems to me that CRJ landings should count toward CRJ currency and all other multi engine land aircraft which do not require a type rating. Also, the checkride for my CL-65 SIC type rating is adding an additional operating privelage on my commercial pilot certificate, so it should count as a BFR. Also, all of the approaches I do in actual instrument conditions, or in the approved simulator should count toward instrument currency. But, some instructors at my airline are tyring to tell me that anyting I do for them does not count toward any general aviation requirements, including landing currency, BFRs, IPCs, etc. They say part 121 training/flying meets no part 61 requirements. That makes no sense to me because I don't see anying in part 61 which excludes the experience if it is recieved under part 121. Can anyone clarify?

you must within 90 days perform 3 takeoffs and landings in the same category and class and type if type rating is required. So it seems to me that CRJ landings should count toward CRJ currency and all other multi engine land aircraft which do not require a type rating.
Personally, I think you are just reading way to much into this. If your doing T/O's in the CRJ, and since it requires a type, I think the landing currency will only apply in that category, class and type since a type is required for that airplane.

If your doing T/O's in the CRJ, and since it requires a type, I think the landing currency will only apply in that category, class and type since a type is required for that airplane.

Actually, you have it backwards. If he does 3 takeoffs and landings in a Seminole, they would NOT count for pax in the CRJ. However, his CRJ landings WOULD enable him to carry pax in the Seminole.

Back