BGI and AGI

Wm226

If one initially has a BGI, then gets an AGI, does the AGI replace the BGI? Or are the two certificates completely different?

I'm interested in getting my ground instructor certificates, but wanted clarification between the two.

just get your AGI first...without readying which I am way to lazy to do at 4 am I can't remember what the BGI limits you to.

there is no such thing as a BGI certificate or a AGI certificate. Just Ground Instructor certificate with AGI endorsement, or no AGI endorsement.

If you take the BGI written test, you are issued a Ground Instructor certificate with no endorsements. If you take the AGI, you receive a Ground Instructor certificate with a AGI endorsement. If you already have the Ground Instructor certificate, they just add the AGI endorsement to it. Most people skip the BGI test and go straight for the AGI, since a plain ol' Ground Instructor certificate without the AGI endorsement is almost worthless and the AGI test is any harder.

IGI is the same way. The IGI test just adds the IGI rating onto a Ground Instructor certificate.

there is no such thing as a BGI certificate or a AGI certificate. Just Ground Instructor certificate with AGI endorsement, or no AGI endorsement.

If you take the BGI written test, you are issued a Ground Instructor certificate with no endorsements. If you take the AGI, you receive a Ground Instructor certificate with a AGI endorsement. If you already have the Ground Instructor certificate, they just add the AGI endorsement to it. Most people skip the BGI test and go straight for the AGI, since a plain ol' Ground Instructor certificate without the AGI endorsement is almost worthless and the AGI test is any harder.

IGI is the same way. The IGI test just adds the IGI rating onto a Ground Instructor certificate.

yeah for sure you need to skip the BGI and just get the AGI...

From what I understand the BGI limits you to private and recreational pilot ground training... AGI allows me to sign off private students, commercial students, really anything that doesnt include instrument training...

Now if you do want to sign someone off for instrument written then yes you need that IGI and if you already have your instrument you will notice that it is just the same test all over again...

Also the main difference between the BGI and AGI is the test itself, and that's about it... The BGI is something like 60 questions long and the AGI is 100 questions but in the end it is the exact same test...

If you get the BGI you will get a normal FAA blue license in the mail but it will say on it

GROUND INSTRUCTOR
BASIC

same for AGI and IGI it will say something like

GROUND INSTRUCTOR
ADVANCED

also you will notice your DOT seal is a different color on the top right hand corner. Instead of the normal blue for your pilots license it will be black your instructor number should be the same as your pilot certificate number...at least mine is (that is because this is not a CFI and there is no expiration)... Now I have heard some arguments that you can actually get a GOLD SEAL as an AGI and turn that DOT seal yellow... but I havent found anywhere in the regs or in any instructor manuals that can back that up...

If you take the BGI written test, you are issued a Ground Instructor certificate with no endorsements. If you take the AGI, you receive a Ground Instructor certificate with a AGI endorsement.

Negative, and this is straight from the mouth of a FAA inspector. You still need the endorsement to actually use the license.

What do you do after you actually take the written for say an AGI? No one ever really explained that to me. I am sure it has to involve a FSDO.

What do you do after you actually take the written for say an AGI? No one ever really explained that to me. I am sure it has to involve a FSDO.

Yep you go to the FSDO with the FOI and AGI/IGI written results and they usually just give you a temp. I got quizzed though so just heads-up. That is how I learned about that whole endorsement thing.

Anyone know if you can take it to a DPE? FSDO is a couple hours away and don't feel like the drive. Also talk to me a little about the Gold Seal, seams kinda crazy that you could get it just for putting your name in a logbook so they can take a written!

The gold seal is for the practical test, not the written.

a. The flight instructor must hold a commercial pilot certificate with an instrument rating (glider flight instructors need not hold an instrument rating) or an ATP certificate;
b. The flight instructor must hold a ground instructor certificate with an advanced or instrument ground instructor rating; and
c. The flight instructor must have accomplished the following within the previous 24 months:
<DIR><DIR><DIR>(1) Trained and recommended at least 10 applicants for a practical test, at least 8 of whom passed their tests on the first attempt;
(2) Conducted at least 20 practical tests as a designated pilot examiner, or graduation tests as chief instructor of a 14 CFR part 141 approved pilot school course; or
(3) A combination of the above requirements. (Two practical tests conducted equal the credit given for one applicant trained and recommended for a practical test.)
</DIR></DIR></DIR>

The gold seal is for the practical test, not the written.

a. The flight instructor must hold a commercial pilot certificate with an instrument rating (glider flight instructors need not hold an instrument rating) or an ATP certificate;
b. The flight instructor must hold a ground instructor certificate with an advanced or instrument ground instructor rating; and
c. The flight instructor must have accomplished the following within the previous 24 months:
<DIR><DIR><DIR>(1) Trained and recommended at least 10 applicants for a practical test, at least 8 of whom passed their tests on the first attempt;
(2) Conducted at least 20 practical tests as a designated pilot examiner, or graduation tests as chief instructor of a 14 CFR part 141 approved pilot school course; or
(3) A combination of the above requirements. (Two practical tests conducted equal the credit given for one applicant trained and recommended for a practical test.)

</DIR></DIR></DIR>

yeah that's what I found too... some people tried arguing that with me and said an AGI could get a gold seal...

still havent seen any proof of that so I am sticking to "no you cant"

Endorsement? eh, no they are ratings on a certificate. If you want to be picky get your terminology correct.

The FOI you need an endorsement for...but the other CFI and ground instructor writtens you do not.

§ 61.123 Eligibility requirements: General.

(c) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:

(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required knowledge test that applies to the aircraft category and class rating sought.

§ 61.183 Eligibility requirements.

(d) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor on the fundamentals of instructing listed in §61.185 of this part appropriate to the required knowledge test;

(e) Pass a knowledge test on the areas listed in §61.185(a)(1) of this part, unless the applicant:

The last part of the regulation states that you do not have to complete the written if you already have a CFI or can teach at a 7th grade level or higher.

The FOI does NOT require an instructor endorsement. Only a retest would require one. Some instructor must cover what the CFI Fundaments of Instructions are but there is nothing requiring you to get an endorsement.

The FAA adds the sample endorsements just in case a 141 syllabus or something else would require the endorsement. Until you reach the CFI practical, and not the BGI, AGI, or IGI, you do not need an endorsement for any test you can schedule it and walk in and take it.

What the hell did I get an endorsement for then? I better go back look at the logbook and the regs.

Edit:

After looking into more I found an interesting Q&A from a FSDO on google that answered the question in more detail. The FOI endorsement is only need for the practical and not for the written on the first try. It is only needed if the applicant failed. They worded it weird in the AC which is why I got confused.

Thanks for the correction, I would hate to give wrong info.

What the hell did I get an endorsement for then? I better go back look at the logbook and the regs.

Edit:

After looking into more I found an interesting Q&A from a FSDO on google that answered the question in more detail. The FOI endorsement is only need for the practical and not for the written on the first try. It is only needed if the applicant failed. They worded it weird in the AC which is why I got confused.

Thanks for the correction, I would hate to give wrong info.

huh yeah I dont ever remember getting one myself...

that is odd that you got one... cant hurt though
did you fail once?

huh yeah I dont ever remember getting one myself...

that is odd that you got one... cant hurt though
did you fail once?

Nope...you need an FOI endorsement for the practical and I just got it before the written thinking you needed it before taking the test.

Nope...you need an FOI endorsement for the practical and I just got it before the written thinking you needed it before taking the test.

Well then my FSDO messed up because I have never gotten a FOI endorsement.

Why would you need an FOI endorsement if you are taking the initial CFI ride with the your FOI certificate in hand and another person not need that same endorsement if he already turned his FOI in to receive his AGI or IGI?

Back