Beyond Dispatching

pilotmike327

I know it's a bit ironic asking when I haven't even started dispatching yet but I was curious: Anyone know of individuals where working dispatch for a major wasn't the career path of choice? For example, starting with dispatch but moving on to something else (non-flying)? I'm sure there is but wanted to hear of specific situations.

I've heard of dispatchers who became pilots later. Or went into management or training.

@pilotmike327 - you can cross over into lots of areas. With the right dispatcher training. (a real program, not a 2-week crash course), some experience, and an open mind, the opportunities are endless. Dispatch is no more narrow a field that that of pilot, and I've personally seen people go from left seat to Director of Operations. I've seen schedulers and dispatchers go to the right seat. The possibilities are endless.

Watch out for the naysayers. They're usually bitter, and want you to be, too.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1.

@pilotmike327 - you can cross over into lots of areas. With the right dispatcher training. (a real program, not a 2-week crash course), some experience, and an open mind, the opportunities are endless. Dispatch is no more narrow a field that that of pilot, and I've personally seen people go from left seat to Director of Operations. I've seen schedulers and dispatchers go to the right seat. The possibilities are endless.

Watch out for the naysayers. They're usually bitter, and want you to be, too.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1.

Agreed, your options will be as flexible as you are and your naysayers may sometimes include yourself. Just make sure to get the most out of the key areas of your experience and let the rest speak for itself. One of my career mentors started in ATC and is now doing financial planning, my current Dispatch supervisor used to manage a metal band, education is always a fallback option, etc. Of course there will always be factors you may not have any control over (i.e. job availability, wife/kids, and having to relocate) but if you're good at what you do then there's nothing stopping you from going beyond Dispatch (if you so desire).

I personally was speaking about crossing over outside of the field of aviation, doesn't mean it's not possible, anything is possible, but if you rack up a ton of experience as a Dispatcher, it's tough to transition (especially in this economy)

I know it's a bit ironic asking when I haven't even started dispatching yet but I was curious: Anyone know of individuals where working dispatch for a major wasn't the career path of choice? For example, starting with dispatch but moving on to something else (non-flying)? I'm sure there is but wanted to hear of specific situations.
Spanky, our old CEO was a dispatcher that moved up. He was mostly a COO because of his background in accounting. However, Spanky G Spankerton (John Spanjers) was a world class nervous cluster but he pioneered most of our safety metrics pre-FOSA/FOQA and was the first one bashing managements head into the wall if safety was being compromised.

He bodychecked more than a few pilot pushers at Mesaba, and for all his problems he was (I think) a good man who put safety first. There're still a few checkairmen's heads on his front yard from the old Mesaba training department that was as big a terrorist group as the NMFC from Pinnacle. (Joe Restifo was also a BIG part of that, he's now at Compass and I hope he ends up running the place, then moving onto another better airline)

My old boss at a dispatch operation is now a GM at a Cargo startup. He was a manager for years at FOI while being our best dispatcher.

The guy who used to give guys their Dispatch rides (signed my cert) was on the ground floor of North American Airlines, he wasn't one of the original 6 but he was a big part of the operations.

There is a retired hero of JFK Lufthansa operations of North America named Shek (if I remember right that's his last name), he could part every velvet rope and lift every veil in operations and was a GM, DO, all sorts of stuff for Lufthansa. Started as a dispatcher, still teaches last I heard, and was gifted a GIANT golden parachute from Lufthansa and then brought back for more money as a consultant.

The list goes on.

Spanky, our old CEO was a dispatcher that moved up. He was mostly a COO because of his background in accounting. However, Spanky G Spankerton (John Spanjers) was a world class nervous cluster but he pioneered most of our safety metrics pre-FOSA/FOQA and was the first one bashing managements head into the wall if safety was being compromised.

He bodychecked more than a few pilot pushers at Mesaba, and for all his problems he was (I think) a good man who put safety first. There're still a few checkairmen's heads on his front yard from the old Mesaba training department that was as big a terrorist group as the NMFC from Pinnacle. (Joe Restifo was also a BIG part of that, he's now at Compass and I hope he ends up running the place, then moving onto another better airline)

My old boss at a dispatch operation is now a GM at a Cargo startup. He was a manager for years at FOI while being our best dispatcher.

The guy who used to give guys their Dispatch rides (signed my cert) was on the ground floor of North American Airlines, he wasn't one of the original 6 but he was a big part of the operations.

There is a retired hero of JFK Lufthansa operations of North America named Shek (if I remember right that's his last name), he could part every velvet rope and lift every veil in operations and was a GM, DO, all sorts of stuff for Lufthansa. Started as a dispatcher, still teaches last I heard, and was gifted a GIANT golden parachute from Lufthansa and then brought back for more money as a consultant.

The list goes on.
Just to add to this post Seek is his last name and he told our dispatch course he started at the bottom and worked his way up with hard work and dedication! He is a brilliant mind and goes to show you anyone from all walks of life can do whatever they put their minds to as long as you have the right attitude.

Instead of creating a new post, I figured it tied into this topic pretty well.

I have about a year to finish my undergrad and a couple of advisors keep bringing up grad school. I'm still not 100% sure but if I do go it would be for either business or political science.

1) would getting a master's put me in the "overqualified" box when trying to start my career at a regional.

2)would this be a smart option to do now if I want to move into management or should I get the experience first.

I know it's a big decision that I'll have to decide for myself in the end but I like to hear what others think :)

Might, granted it looks good, and with the higher turn out of undergraduates degrees the Masters is the new college degree so I highly recommend getting it. The only problem I can see here would be during the initial application process where HR might see it and think that you are not going to be willing to except the low pay that a regional will offer.

I would look into getting the job first then doing your Grad courses online. At Least that way you get the experience and have the degree to move up later.

Instead of creating a new post, I figured it tied into this topic pretty well.

I have about a year to finish my undergrad and a couple of advisors keep bringing up grad school. I'm still not 100% sure but if I do go it would be for either business or political science.

1) would getting a master's put me in the "overqualified" box when trying to start my career at a regional.

2)would this be a smart option to do now if I want to move into management or should I get the experience first.

I know it's a big decision that I'll have to decide for myself in the end but I like to hear what others think :)
Just tell them you want to start dispatching but you intend on wearing a lot of hats someday.

You know that little salary box on the application? Be realistic and that shouldn't be an issue. No kidding, I've seen applications from people with no experience asking for 100k to start at a regional. Those are the ones that don't get a call.

Being proactive on your contact with the hiring manager about your understanding of the starting pay will diffuse a lot of doubt too. These guys aren't dumb. They expect that a dispatcher they hire today won't be there two years from now. It might be refreshing to see a guy who is interested in the management side of things. Heck you might stick around longer if you're gunning for a front office job at their company!

Back