Best / Worst ATP centers to visit on X/C's

Re: Best / Worst ATP centers to visit on X/Cs

The only ATP location I overnighted at was Phoenix, it was pretty nice.

I also passed through Salem, OR (formerly ATP); Long Beach, San Luis Obispo and Riverside, CA; and El Paso, TX (idk if there's ATP there or not).

Salem was really chill. There's a great restaurant there (Flight Deck Cafe).

Riverside was ok, us SAC guys go there all the time. The D&D Airport Cafe was legit...there's some ill-tempered controller working RAL tower...

The Best? Hmmm. I'd say that CRG was tops in my book! The trick was to follow all of the rules and actually use the shutdown/secure check list. Then hightail it the hell off the ATP ramp (bypassing the office) to the FBO across the way and use the lounge and wx computer there. Borrow the crew car and grab a Giant Sub. The Comfort Inn was swank, Howard Johnson was O.K.

If overnighting you gotta tell dispatch that all of the instructors are gone. If you ask for a hotel room and a rental car dispatch will bend over backward to do the opposite. You need make dispatch think that the hotel and car rental is their idea... No instructor= no key to apartment, and no ride to apartment. On the rental car tip, dispatch might fight with you on this point, so it is easier to avoid the conflict and take the initiative on your own and seek reimbursement at the end of your X/C's. All you do for that is fill out the reimbursement form and get an instructor to sign and fax it. At that point dispatch won't remember jack and will refund just about anything. *Individual results may vary, proceed at your own risk!*

Worst? The apartment at RDU was a dungeon, but the FBO and restaurant on field were pretty top of the line.

Worst- Arlington. I mean, who likes to sleep in a shower? Basically that's what you get, a small room with a shower curtain for a door.

Best- Jasper. Now doubt, you get a super chill environment, football, drinks, A LIMO!!! put that together with a ghetto trailer, laid back flight instructors, and the coolest examiner, and you get the top of the list destination.

note: learn how to pull up to a gas tank and pump your own gas. it's easy.

Worst was FLL. The apartments were dirty but the FBO is great. The ride to the apartments took a while.

Best was SUA. Great airport with tons of nice planes, taking off over the ocean with a great tower. And it was my home base at ATP. Club Stuart rules.

My favorite place we overnighted was Jasper. Real small area and airport, but got put in a Days Inn since the trailer was full and got to have the pimp crew car all night.

I've driven that crew car! Did it have crushed beer cans in the back?

Worst? The apartment at RDU was a dungeon, but the FBO and restaurant on field were pretty top of the line.

Yeah, the restaurant is sweet. Overlooks the runway and ramp.

AT RDU we were number one in line for takeoff and there was an XJT ERJ behind us, and a Southwest 737 behind him. The XJT guy called us up on tower and asked "is that a Seminole? We hire alot of you ATP guys." The Southwest pilot chimed in with, "is that an ERJ, we hire alot of you guys."

It was like the evolution of man!

Been in the HUGE red truck. Nothing sounds more redneck then telling people your driving down a 2 lane road in Jasper, AL in Ford F-250 and that you have to make a right turn at the only over pass in the county.

The Best X/C's that I got were the ones when I ended up back in my own bed after a three leg flight to who knows where. The worst was the little whole in the wall FBO in Monroe, LA, because I was supposed to have the day off to begin with.

Worst place, worst place...hmmmm...LZU, LZU and LZU! Although the restaurant is purdy good, and the little surprise in the rest room...someone has a semse of humor!

Whats so bad about LZU? I work at the airport (not at ATP). The food is good but the controllers suck sometimes.

Best- Jasper. Now doubt, you get a super chill environment, football, drinks, A LIMO!!! put that together with a ghetto trailer, laid back flight instructors, and the coolest examiner, and you get the top of the list destination.

note: learn how to pull up to a gas tank and pump your own gas. it's easy.

G this isn't biased at all. Your the instructor in Jasper!!

Its mostly the controllers and their 'quality' radios, that place has more stuff broken then atlanta has people (a slight exaggeration, i know!) and the ATP location has no where to sleep/lounge and no internet to check weather, email, etc. I think i have some bitterness in part to the fact that my first three xc timebuilds were DAB LZU DAB. I think if you ask dispactch to send you other places they use it as incentive to keep sending you to the same place! Everyone there is quite friendly though!

Its mostly the controllers and their 'quality' radios, that place has more stuff broken then atlanta has people (a slight exaggeration, i know!) and the ATP location has no where to sleep/lounge and no internet to check weather, email, etc. I think i have some bitterness in part to the fact that my first three xc timebuilds were DAB LZU DAB. I think if you ask dispactch to send you other places they use it as incentive to keep sending you to the same place! Everyone there is quite friendly though!

Amen to that dude,

I have nightmares about the TRBOW8 Arrival :)

Wait is this familiar...DAB CRG Macon TRBOW direct.....I think i did every single instrument approach there...to include the hold for the GPS!

They actually made you hold. I have flown the CRG MCN Trbow route to FTY a ton of times and never had to hold.

how bout this one...
"Lawrenceville ground, Seminole xxxAT how do you hear?"
(After no response) Another aircraft on ground freq. "Hey this is cessna Nxxxxx, we hear you loud and clear! Im not sure ground does though!"
Its like living in a friggen verizon commercial!

Back