Best way to approach RW training

franknyc

Is it best to do the ppl in an R-22, the instrument in a Schweizer, then back to the R-22 for the commercial? Or the instrument in an R-44...

What's the best combination? Also, when is the best time to go through the Robinson Safety Course?

Thanks in advance

Is it best to do the ppl in an R-22, the instrument in a Schweizer, then back to the R-22 for the commercial? Or the instrument in an R-44...

What's the best combination? Also, when is the best time to go through the Robinson Safety Course?

Thanks in advance
For civilian helicopter training questions this forum might as well be called "Ask Shane." ;)Hopefully he'll be around soon. The only one of those I've flown is the Schweizer, and that was for a whopping 0.7 hours. Fun little bird though... carb heat on a helicopter... who would have thunk it?

Makes me wonder why when the ATC forum was opened we got 57,319 new members but the helo forum is mostly just a handful of ex-military. Believe it or not, helo wannabies are probably less goofy than ATC wannabies.

I think you have a pretty good plan in splitting time between the 300 and the Robinson products. If you can split some of your inst time between the 44 and the 300 might be something to think about. This will give you the option of getting the sign off in the 44 at the CFII level. The factory course is wide open last time I checked. You can do it any time after your private but it night be better if you could do it towards the end of your comm. I (personal opinion) think you get more out of it then. The autos they haved you do are pretty overwhelming if you aren't prepared. Either way though have fun enjoy the training.
Shane

Thanks in advance

The best way to approach RW training is with deep lined pockets!

sorry couldn't help it....

I would do the ppl in the Schweizer, for primacy, for a bette 'feel' of the helicopter cyclic. In my opinion, the R-22 does not have a a good feel of cyclic inputs. The Schweizer (the old Hughes 300, right?) has a better cyclic feel which is closer to the feel of other helicopters - the cyclic is in the center. This helps in the initial learning of the cyclic feel in hovering.

After you have mastered the control touch of hovering (finding your personal CG) with cyclic centered betwen your legs, the it is easy to transition to the clumsy feel of the off set cyclic in the R-22 to finish your commercial. I would split the instrument between the 2 if possible.

Back