Best places to Network

Kalikiano

What events are considered must attend for any pilot that wants to get his or her name out there?

The ones I Know of are Oshkosh, JC events, and Sun & Fun.

Do you just attend any aviation related event you can and build those relationships or go to only curtain ones?

The best way to network with other aviation folks is to get them away from an aviation event. The people that really want to help each other out are the ones you meet for a drink at the bar or get coffee somewhere. On the other hand if you want to fly some old guy's bonanza hit up oshkosh.

What events are considered must attend for any pilot that wants to get his or her name out there?

The ones I Know of are Oshkosh, JC events, and Sun & Fun.

Do you just attend any aviation related event you can and build those relationships or go to only curtain ones?

Pretty much everything/everywhere.

On a forum, especially be cognizant that you never know who you're calling a poopyhead may be in a position to help you greatly. I can't emphasize that enough.

The best way to network with other aviation folks is to get them away from an aviation event. The people that really want to help each other out are the ones you meet for a drink at the bar or get coffee somewhere.

Like BBQs at my house!

I will teach you to grill garlic and herb potatoes on the top rack.

Ooh! And Hawaiian chicken breast with grilled pineapple.

Attachments

• HawaiianChickenJune2008.jpg
    HawaiianChickenJune2008.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 126
Networking isn't just something that you can go do. You can't just show up to OSH or a job fair and say to yourself, "I'm gonna go network!"

It's something that just happens from doing things and interacting with people. In my experience, the best networking is informal. Good things come from those relationships when you least expect it.

What is it that you're trying to "get your name out there" for?

well anything really. Like if I was trying to get a job for X company (airline, CFI schoo, crop dusting, aerial photograph etc..) I might be able to say "Oh ya I was talking to that person who was a manager or empolyee for X and maybe that can help me get started"

I mean to say its less about getting my name out there and more about building relationships.

Try going into the pilot snooze room, waking someone up and ask them to share stories.

Haha jk. But a little time at the ma & pa FBO might help you get your foot in the door. A couple guys I used to work with got jobs that way.

well anything really. Like if I was trying to get a job for X company (airline, CFI schoo, crop dusting, aerial photograph etc..) I might be able to say "Oh ya I was talking to that person who was a manager or empolyee for X and maybe that can help me get started"

So, you're looking for an entry level commercial pilot gig?

There are numerous people here on JC who have been in your same position and can help you with that.

I don't think most of those jobs are going to require any kind of "networking" to get into, though.

So, you're looking for an entry level commercial pilot gig?

There are numerous people here on JC who have been in your same position and can help you with that.

I don't think most of those jobs are going to require any kind of "networking" to get into, though.
Actually...most don't go advertised. the guy that's leaving tells his friend...and so on and so forth.

New here and great site by the way.

The entry level job is the hardest to get these days. That is very true slush. Here is something to think about...

After you get your private decide if you want to fly airline or no airline in your career. The airline career pilots start there crew training just after there private. The prop career pilot continues on regular flight training. Might help put all the numbers away. I think they started this in Europe already. Two paths and there is no stepping on toes when your part or my part of the industry goes poopy. Why does a airline pilot need 1500+ prop time anyway? I would feel better knowing he has more crew skills rather than single or multi prop time. Would you? It's a different ball game with the same equipment.

Thanks for the grill chicken it was wonderful. gulp, gulp.

also looking for work
Comm SEL, SES, MEL with instrument.
Warning: one accident under my belt! No pilot error (fuel vapor lock). Should I need not apply? I hate that application question or the statement "accident free pilots".:panic:

A golf course by an airport is typically a place you might run into some pilots! and if you don't find any there you at least have a good day golfing!

Don't look now, but you're networking. This is a great place to network. I have met a few people that live in TPA and one that used to live here and is now a regional pilot. While we don't hang out and drink beers (yet), I hope they would consider me as part of their network.

Organize a Meet and Greet in your area and post it here. You never know who's lurking.

Hanging out at FBO's is a cool place to meet people too. I know everytime I am at my local FBO I always meet someone new.

SPLASH, while I am no expert. I would say apply for any job you want. It's obvious you handled the situation correctly or you wouldn't be posting on JC. It's kinda like all the advice you see about DUI's and driving records. It's how you explain yourself. Personally I would hire a person with an accident (non pilot error) if they did everything else correct. You've proven that emergency planning/training works. By the way... what was the end result?

Good luck,
Rob

Back