best place to buy A&P tool set

Are you going to a Part 147 school? As others have mentioned, you'll never get a better deal on Snap-On, Mac, or Matco then you will now. I believe Craftsman does some deals for A&P students as well.

I've got mostly Snap-On tools. Are they the best? Yes and no. In many ways Mac and Matco are on par. One thing that I have noticed in my years of turning wrenches is that they have the best return policy. Things like wrenches should hardly ever have to be replaced, but e-z outs are something that wear with use, and the Snap-On guys always replaced them without blinking an eye, while the Mac guy would only replace it if broke.

Craftsman is a decent way to get started. Harbor freight is ok for somethings, very few things, dead-blows, scrapers, sealant tools, etc. come to mind. Once in awhile they have S&K brand wrenches there which are alright. Most of the tools at HF are junk in my opinion, especially when used in difficult applications. I've seen many HF wrenches sprung and rendered useless.

Once you're working in the field, a good piece of advice handed down to me was if you need to borrow a tool three times, you need to buy it. Most mechanics understand that a new guy is going to show up for his first job with limited tools, and are willing to lend a tool. But the third time you're seeking to borrow a particular tool should tell you something!

And as far as the admonition to not purchase 6 point sockets, I don't understand that. 98% of the time the 6 point is the correct choice. It is sturdier that a twelve point and provides greater grip strength. Twelve point is good for certain nuts and s acceptable in low torque applications.

That is what I have been doing. I recieved a snap-on set and went from there to buy craftsman and going to harbor Freight for certain things. When you get to more advanced tasks that require different tools , then go with other brands. I also try Brown Tool and Aircraft Tool Supply for other tools that Craftsman and Snap-On do not have. Just take your time and if you have to use something more than three times, then you have to get your own. Save and plan it out to save money. Don't blow it all on tools even though they look nice:drool:!

Re: Matco set

Uhm, if you mean they are the exact same thing by they have the same function, then I agree. If by exact you mean one is just as good as the other, then I will wholeheartedly disagree.

Well then we can agree to disagree. Most tools are built in the same exact factorys. I own a lot of Mac Tools and Snap On tools. Aside from the wrenches and ratchets, possibly SOME of the sockets, they are the same thing, and by the same thing, I mean the SAME thing. I use HF tools every single day and I get paid exactly the same as the guys that ONLY use Snap On/Matco/etc etc. People really have to get off the bandwagon and realize that a tool is a tool and it won't score your more money than another, maybe just a few more cool points from the guys in the shop.

Just to add, if you can get the discounts from the big three, get them just don't go overboard. Get wrenches and ratchets that feel comfortable, don't buy it unless you can see it and touch it, borrow some of your co-workers to see if they feel right, you don't want to cause hand fatigue.

Eza said:
Sure they're cheap but if (when) I break them....who cares!
A lot of their stuff has warranty.

Right on.........you can go as far as making yourself a "T" Handled crowfoot, with little welding.

Right on.........you can go as far as making yourself a "T" Handled crowfoot, with little welding.
Ah yes...one of those tools you don't need very often...but when you need it, you NEED it.

Back