Best/Most Convienent CFI Renewal Program?

Mark815

My CFI renewal is due this month, (I procrastinated...AGAIN) and I'm going to spend the weekend doing an online course to renew it. I used AOPA a couple years ago and managed to get it done in a weekend. I noticed King Schools is doing an online course now, as well as American Flyers, Gleim and all the other major aviation companies. Do you guys recommend anyone else other than AOPA? I know this probably sounds bad but I am looking for the easiest and most convenient route. I only have a few free days to get it done, and I'm not an active CFI, I just don't want my certificate to lapse.

American Flyers has a lifetime renewal deal. You can even pay a few extra bucks to have them file all your paper work and you just wait for your new license in the mail.

Hey Mark check your PM.

Cheapest AF, don't know the best because I paid for AF 8 years ago and have never had to pay again I can't afford the best.

You will have to sit through many hours reading before you take your test with AF, others I think will allow you to take the test and if you can pass it you don't have to spend days reading the dry material.

I have AF and have been happy with them. However, this year I admittedly am thrilled to avoid the 16 hours of pain by adding another rating to my CFI.

Yeah I did AF this past April. It gets the job done.

This post brought to you by beta from my iPhone.

AF sounds like a good deal, I will have to remember that for next year.

I just finished the Jepp one, and it was very quick and straight forward

cefiro said:
AF sounds like a good deal, I will have to remember that for next year.

I just finished the Jepp one, and it was very quick and straight forward

Keep in mind AF is a good deal, Not quick.

milleR said:
Sure it is, open the module, go do something for two hours, come back and take the test. If you fail then sit down, actually read it, go do something for an hour, then retake the test. 70% of the time, it works every time, and that's good enough to pass :D

(slight sarcasm, but yeah, it's that easy)

That's what I did but it still takes 2+ days of your time to take maybe 90 minutes worth of test.

Been on it for 10 minutes and I'm already checking the forum because I'm so bored and have 90 minute to go before I can access the quiz....

You can do the Gleim in about 5-6 hours. That's my recommendation if you have 1 weekend and only 1 weekend to do it. Sit down and knock it out. There is no 'minimum' time per module like a lot of the other programs. If you're good at a section you'll get it knocked out in 10 minutes. Plus, just open up the notes for the section as a pdf and keep it open as you're doing your test so you'll never have to worry about failing a section.

I signed up for AF this morning, and I'm already half way done. I used the auto refresh add on for Firefox and I've been running errands while the clock ticks. I'll have it all done by tomorrow or Monday. So far so good!

Back