Best location?

JGriffis

If you were or are attending ATP, which location did you or would you choose? What kind of apartments do they put you guys in?

You're going to get many views on this, but my vote is for Stuart. I did the ACPP there last year, and it's great. Fantastic apartments, beach, warm, no airspace issues, good instructors. PM me for more details.

I'd like to hear everyone's experiences from wherever they've been...share your experiences, i'm very interested!

Every site has it merits.

I went through Riverside. Maybe not the nicest city to hang out in, but the flying was probably the best experience you can get for the money. Airspace, TER's, towering mountains, coastal fog, winds, occasional rain. 95% of the days are flyable.

I decided on Riverside, CA because I wanted to learn how to fly in all kinds of airspace. There are things you can do in Riverside that you can't do in too many other places. Example: Departed KRAL, T.E.R. to KCNO, made a slight turn to the I-CNO localizer got the straight-in clearance, and landed KCNO. My total "wheels-up" time was 0.1 on the hobbs! Beat that!

Decide what's important to you. (beach, near family, airspace, away from distraction, IMC, VMC, warm, cool, ... whatever...). You'll probably find it at one of the ATP locations.

As far as the ACP program goes, I am thinking the best location wold by far and away be SMF. You can get the best variety there I think. SFO/OAK is nearby so you should get plenty of IFR time logged. You can get into complicated airspace if you want to, the ocean is near, as are the mountains and flat land. No other location offers this much variety in terms of training.

I personally am not into flying in the heat and humidity of Florida if I can have the option of somewhere farther north. I am looking at going for the ACP program this fall/winter and at this point my leaders are SMF and PHX. I wouldn't want to do PHX in the summer though!

Any SMurF folks out there willing to share their experience?

Thanks, Tim

Ha! A Physical Geographer!!! Nice - I'm a Geo minor....pleasure to meet you! Any grad school thoughts?

Yeah I thought about going to grad school and it may still be in my plans if some a$$holes crash another plane into a some buildings but for the moment I don't think so.

If I were to go, I think I would switch to Atmospheric sciences though as I am more interested in weather/climate than the other aspects of physical geography.

what about you?

is your avatar one of those stupid quizno monsters? AHHHH annoying!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I thought about going to grad school and it may still be in my plans if some a$$holes crash another plane into a some buildings but for the moment I don't think so.

If I were to go, I think I would switch to Atmospheric sciences though as I am more interested in weather/climate than the other aspects of physical geography.

what about you?

is your avatar one of those stupid quizno monsters? AHHHH annoying!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a stronger man than I am....Im not sure I could stay awake researching more about the weather than I already do....
grin.gif

If I go to grad school, I'm pretty sure it'll be in a program that places an emphasis in cultural geography. I'm a people-type person!!!

I actually got into Geography on accident. I transferred to MTSU, and a minor was required. Since my major alread required a Geo course, I said, "What the heck, that's one less class I'll have to take!!". Next thing you know, I was digging it!!!

Back