Best IFR hood?

I have a student who just purchased a pair of these. I tried them on for a couple minutes and this is a great way to go compared to a traditional hood or foggles. This thing is very restrictive you will not have the little 'peek' of the horizon our of your peripheral vision. In fact, it is so restrictive you actually have to turn your head to get a look at the radio stack.

It is a good buy, and will certainly make you a better instrument pilot!

Despite disliking the company... I actually like JeppShades. They are pretty lightweight and i like the fact you can remove the shade part when you go visual.

Vibans get my vote. They are comfortable, can be easily taken on or off while in the airplane and do a good job limiting the view to only the panel. On the other hand they dont work for students who wear glasses. You have to buy a different style without a nosepiece to fit over their eyewear. Oh yeah they are also a bit pricey. 'bout 30$

Despite disliking the company... I actually like JeppShades. They are pretty lightweight and i like the fact you can remove the shade part when you go visual.
Agreed. Plus you can reach over as the CFI and flip them down at any point...like base to final on a circle. Then it's "oh noes!"

-mini

Vibans get my vote. They are comfortable, can be easily taken on or off while in the airplane and do a good job limiting the view to only the panel. On the other hand they dont work for students who wear glasses. You have to buy a different style without a nosepiece to fit over their eyewear. Oh yeah they are also a bit pricey. 'bout 30$

Really? I've use the Vibans with prescription glasses, and don't have a problem with the standard setup. Granted, I've got fairly low profile glasses. I suppose grandpa's coke bottle glasses aren't going to work under the Viban. Guess it depends on the glasses.

I'll agree though, they are freaking awesome. Easy to get on/off, and do a good job at blocking what should be blocked

I did most of my instrument training in a DA40. The standard foggles left a great peephole in combo with the Diamond's great visibility canopy. One day I got bored, got a roll of electrical tape and a razor blade, put a few small pieces of tape where it was needed to block the view outside...it worked great. I also put the tape over the fogged part...worked wonders while flying directly into the sun (Diamond has no practical sun shade).

JeppShades...except they are made in China so are a little flimsy thus the reason I am on pair 2, but what isn't these days.

Back