Best GI-Bill Flight Training Universities-Schools - 2022

Counselor

I know it changes all the time, but for those of you now in flight training or who have recently graduated, what is currently the best bang for your buck using the GI Bill for flight training? Purdue? North Dakota? Auburn? My son's looking for the best 4-year college experience, perhaps graduating with a non-aviation degree, but wants to use his GI Bill benefits to offset flight training costs as well. Thanks!

I know it changes all the time, but for those of you now in flight training or who have recently graduated, what is currently the best bang for your buck using the GI Bill for flight training? Purdue? North Dakota? Auburn? My son's looking for the best 4-year college experience, perhaps graduating with a non-aviation degree, but wants to use his GI Bill benefits to offset flight training costs as well. Thanks!
If he's going to use the GIBill for flight training while in college then the flight training itself has to be part of his degree program. IE he can't get a business degree and then throw flight training in on the side. The flight training has to be part of the degree curriculum.

Check around - GI Bill will require a Part 141 program, but not all 141 programs can be used for GI Bill bennies.

Purdue Global is one of the newer ones - several things I like about it.

The bulk of our GI Bill students are using Liberty University - I think that has more to do with proximity to the actual school and aggressive marketing than anything else....the quality of the flight training will have a lot more to do with the school actually doing the training than the academic program.

Utah Valley also has a good program. Expensive (aren't they all?) but solid. UND has a pretty solid program, too.

You'll want to seek out the group RTAG that has exploded on Facebook. They are probably the best resource for using GI Bill & veteran benefits toward flight training.

Use the funds for a humanities or physics degree. Teach your child to think, not to adjust the controls of an aerial appliance.
Just like ranching 'til the bankers and lawyers came, aviating will always be there... 'til airlines go pilot-less, which, given the current state of the industry, I truly hope comes sooner rather than later. A flying "degree" is like getting a BA in tilting pipes downhill... you know, plumbing.

Last edited:
Check around - GI Bill will require a Part 141 program, but not all 141 programs can be used for GI Bill bennies.

Purdue Global is one of the newer ones - several things I like about it.

The bulk of our GI Bill students are using Liberty University - I think that has more to do with proximity to the actual school and aggressive marketing than anything else....the quality of the flight training will have a lot more to do with the school actually doing the training than the academic program.

Utah Valley also has a good program. Expensive (aren't they all?) but solid. UND has a pretty solid program, too.

Is having Liberty on your resume a bad look?

I’m considering using them for the rest of my training because I can do it online and use one of their FTA’s locally, all of this while I’m still active duty (5 years to retirement). Seems like a really good deal. However, I have seen comments about people with degrees from Liberty having their resumes tossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m considering using them for the rest of my training because I can do it online and use one of their FTA’s locally, all of this while I’m still active duty (5 years to retirement). Seems like a really good deal. However, I have seen comments about people with degrees from Liberty having their resumes tossed.

Don't know much about whether or not Liberty is good or bad on your resume, but beware the curriculum is very religious oriented. It isn't for everyone, oh and there's that whole Jerry Falwell thing.

After seeing some of their course materials, I wouldn't say that it is very "rigorous" either.

Not my work, but this was posted in another group and alleges to be someone’s assignment for a LU course:

Attachments

• 5EBD5D30-5C89-4259-BC2E-EADF4D3369B6.jpeg
    5EBD5D30-5C89-4259-BC2E-EADF4D3369B6.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 35
However, I have seen comments about people with degrees from Liberty having their resumes tossed.

I think that everybody knows that the professional pilot BS degree is aimed at folks that need a degree from an accredited program and nothing more.

You'd have to ask someone who evaluates resumes. I just taught em'.

If you're not into the whole Liberty thing, take a look at Perdue global. They use many of the same FTAs, pricing is pretty close to the same.

Back