Best flying movies?

Soonermurph

My favorites are Always and The Edge. Unfortunately both have crashes. I love the Beaver flying in Alaska in the Edge. Makes me want to leave for Alaska! Other favorites?

Fandango?
smile.gif

hot shots part deux
laugh.gif

seriously. for me Top Gun. Brings back memories from when I was stationed on an aircraft carrier

the one with the girl who takes care of the geese and flies them to their winter home in her ultralight with her dad... that was an excellent movie - just can't remember what the name of it was (i think it was a disney flick though or something)...

fly away home???? i just can't remember...

Debbie does Dal...... no wait.... FLYING movies... wrong "F" word....

Tuskegee Airmen.
Memphis Belle
Forever Young (yeah - Forever Young - bite me)
The Right Stuff
Apollo 13

And the list goes on and on and on

BTW - Fandango - great movie!!

Yeah, that was fly away home.

I'm not sure if I have a favorite, I'll watch any flying-related movie, even if it's the most 'B' rated movie around (and there are a lot)..

[ QUOTE ]
Debbie does Dal...... no wait.... FLYING movies... wrong "F" word....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, good to know you like the classics.

smirk.gif

I second, or third, or whatever the hell it is the nomination of "The Right Stuff."

I like the WWII flicks. Memphis Belle, Midway, 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, Tora, Tora, Tora.

Always was outstanding as well, and I have both Airplanes on tape.

How about those King videos?
smile.gif

There was another call something like, "A little extra for Grandma" about overloading and staying on after V1/VR.

AOPA's "Lost and Crossed", I love how the first few minutes explains why a modern pilot with GPS doesn't need to do any in depth flight planning anymore, then his GPS goes Tango Uniform. Where am I?

Strategic Air Command

Starring Jimmy Stewart and June Lockhart. Actually, this is a terrible movie. Filled with good old fashioned cold-war propaganda. Look for a young Harry Morgan (Col. Potter from MASH). It is an extremely jingoistic movie. But, the saving grace is some absolutely beautiful mid-air photography involving primarily the giant B-36 Peacemaker, and to a lesser extent, the B-47 Stratojet.

Also, Dr. Strangelove. You have to love Slim Pickens as Major TJ "King" Kong the commander of the B-52 "Leper Colony". "Son, I've been to two worlds fairs a picnic and a rodeo and that is the stupidest thing that I have ever heard over a set of headphones" (I'm paraphrasing here).

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

Seriously though, in no particular order:

Tora Tora Tora
Midway
Top Gun
The Right Stuff
Airport
Airplane
Pushing Tin

I know there's a bunch that I just can't think of at the moment, Basically anything with airplanes/airports

How could you all leave out The Langoliers? Ok, so it's a little corny, not to mention a little strange, but I think it makes the list.

Ethan

AIRPLANE!!!

"Flight 209 you're cleared for take-off"
grin.gif
grin.gif

Roger!

What?

What's our clearance, Clarence?

Gimmy the vector, Victor

Heading 350 Flight 209

Roger 209

roger, Roger

What?

Spirit of St. Louis - Stewart was a real pilot and the flying is some of the least "fakey" you'll find.

Back