Best Earplugs for Just Sitting Around the Ramp

RogerMurdock

So I like to read books on the ramp and just talk at leisure with people coming and going. It gets pretty loud with helicopters arriving fairly close and the occasional jet taxiing by. I'd like to get some earplugs that I can quickly put in and out that aren't too cumbersome or obvious.

A big headset might look goofy just hanging around my neck, but the disposable earplugs will probably get lost and be hard to use over and over.

I'm not sure what to really search for, but does anyone have any good ideas for something I can easily hang around my neck and plug into my ears. In my mind I envision a semi rigid orange device (somewhat like old headphones) that I can plug in my ears. I feel like I've seen this before on some of the guys working on the ramp at a busy airport, but don't know what to really look for online.

Thanks

Like this?

s7_230460_999_01

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Quiet-Band-Hearing-Protection/1195408.uts

I buy boxes of 100 disposable earplugs with chords for about $20 from Amazon, Howard Leight I think. They are all about the same.

Get the reusable Howard Leight rubber plugs. They are reusable, unless you want to keep putting in new ear plugs whenever you take out the foam ones.

The ones stuck on your ears. And I don't say that to be stupid or smartass, as someone who suffers from relentless, non stop tinnitus.

Yep thanks, that's what I was thinking in my head. They don't look too comfortable though, any experience?

I buy boxes of 100 disposable earplugs with chords for about $20 from Amazon, Howard Leight I think. They are all about the same.

This might be a good idea. I tend to lose things quite a bit.

Get the reusable Howard Leight rubber plugs. They are reusable, unless you want to keep putting in new ear plugs whenever you take out the foam ones.

Do you by chance have a link. The rubber ones with the three chambers?

The ones stuck on your ears. And I don't say that to be stupid or smartass, as someone who suffers from relentless, non stop tinnitus.

I'm not sure which ones you mean. Any examples?

Yep thanks, that's what I was thinking in my head. They don't look too comfortable though, any experience?

Yes, they are fine. I used them when working line service. Light, basically same as the rubber squish in your ear kind, but the neckband (which falls along the back of your neck, not over your head) prevents you from losing them all the time. The ones with a string get all tangled up. The loose ones get lost and you find them all over the place, which is kind of annoying, but they work fine too.

When I'm around the ramp (or anywhere else noisy), my hands are usually covered in grease. I prefer the disposable ones.

When I'm around the ramp (or anywhere else noisy), my hands are usually covered in grease. I prefer the disposable ones.
That's the great thing about the rubber ones. No squishing them up to force them in your ear. You just push on the outside stem. Keeps everything clean. And best part is they keep their db rating for months of use vs. the foam ones that are reduced every time you use them.

s0635923_sc7

Do you by chance have a link. The rubber ones with the three chambers?

Look under "Multiple use"

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-protection/earplugs

Airways issued the "Smart Fit" to their ground crews, they come in a corded version with a nice little box, I used them and haven't tried any of the others.

This is them but you'd have to find them in stock somewhere else. That is just the first link I could find. But there are various versions, just look at their site and pick.

http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...angid=-1&cid=PS:GooglePLAs:154193&KPID=154193

I also have the orange head band thing on the second post. I use it for walk arounds. It works well to reduce noise, but limits my range of motion I find. Really depends on what you are doing.

Go to a local gun show. They usually have a guy with a booth set up that does custom molded ear plugs for $40-50. They are the best most comfortable ones I've used. They're attached to each other with a string and are made of silicone for comfort. You can get them in colors from skin tone to neon pink (if that's your thing) :)

They'll squish the liquid silicone in your ear, wait 10-15 mins for it to set, then they'll take them out to set the rest of they way (about 30-40 mins) So find the booth first then go check out the rest of the show. The first pair I had lasted about 8 years. I almost forgot, if you bring a pair of ear buds they can mold those in too.

Here's a web site for what I'm talking about. The pics on the left are them.
http://www.earplugstore.com/best-custom-molded-ear-plugs.html

Foam ear plugs plus real mickey mouse ears. Keep the foam plugs in all the time. When noise levels are low, I can carry on a conversation with the foam plugs in, but they still offer some continuous protection. Then, don the real mickey mouse ears for walk-arounds.

How do they get the hair out of them once they squish the silicone in your ear? :rolleyes:
Well of it's that bad perhaps some man-grooming is in order prior to fitting. Or maybe braid them into your own self tethering ear plug. :)

Seriously though, it's not really an issue I've run into.

I have to second the Howard Leights. I use this pair (link below) as they are rated for the maximum protection. (rated NRR27) You get the band and two sets of plugs. The plugs last a long time, are easy to clean and the band attaching them is very lightweight (like not noticeable at all) and flexible. The plugs actually fit inside the ear canal and are very comfortable.

http://www.earplugstore.com/qb1bandedearplugs.html

Back