Best E-Logbook solution (for me)

gotWXdagain

Polished Member
Yeah, its another one of those threads. I've looked into two seriously, here are some of the pros and cons of each.

LogTen Pro
Pros: Most professional design
Cons: What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall in the meeting where the conversation went thusly: "Hey guys, lets make a cloud database that can be accessible on iPhone, iPad, and Macbook, but completely leave out the PC segment?" Why should importing a logbook csv involve a phone call to customer service because I own a PC and will only be using the iPhone/iPad portions?

MyFlightLog
Pros: It's free, and I can use it on any platform
Cons: Extremely clunky. I just spent the last five hours trying to bash a csv into the format they'd accept, and when I finally managed it, it dropped out several of the columns that I want to keep track of, and I'd have to go back through and manually add data for about 1100 flights.

What I want to do:
Export my excel file into something online I can use, that will
- Show me that I am current and when my currencies will expire
- Easily allow me to upload an excel file without having to call some customer service number (that's really the only sticking point on logten pro right now but if it's the best choice I might be able to overlook it, which brings me to my next point...) or lose data
- Be compatible across all platforms, specifically have a web entry that links to an iPad/iPhone app

Thoughts?

I personally am a huge fan of Logten Pro. However, I understand that it not being PC compatible is a big draw back. As an alternative, I would probably suggest Logbook Pro if you feel you must have access from a computer. It's a huge plus. I have Logten on my mac and iPhone and it's the way to go. I'm not 100% up to speed on logbook pro, but I would say of the paid, professional if you will logbooks, it's certainly between logten and logbook pro. I guess if you look at it that way, if you want access from a computer, it comes down to what OS you run on. PC, logbook pro. Mac, logten pro.

Most of you guys/gals know where I stand on this debate. IMO there are only two quality players in the arena. LogTen and Logbook Pro. I have used Logbook Pro since near the beginning and love it. Logbook Pro works on PC and can import most CSV files, and they also offer an airline schedule importer option as well.

@10SM CLR PC vs MAC is a long ongoing debate but comes down to personal preference, IMO. I personally carry MBP but have Windows 8.1 on via bootcamp. I like the battery life and size of it. I converted to apple hardware when most PC laptops where 2x the size and battery life was abysmal I do wish bootcamp would update their video drivers so it could throttle between the two video cards in the machine. I still get 2-4 hours on the Windows side and 5+ on the OS X side.

The import process from an excel document to LogTen is extremely easy. It took two emails and less than a day for me to get my logbook in. I don't find myself wanting to look at my logbook on a PC anyways.

I will say this for MyFlightBook, the guy running it has been very attentive to my issues and it seems like I'll probably be sticking with it.

Safelog is a product released by crooks. They sold logbook software as being a perpetual license, then forced an update that made it a 'renewing' license. When I (and others) called them on their BS, they said they'd never sold their software as having a permanent license and that we were just too stupid to read the agreement.

I used the Internet Wayback machine to point to their old website where they clearly said (and in fact advertised the fact) that their software was a one-time license, 'unlike other software'.

The next time I tried to show somebody that link when discussing the issue, I noticed that they had blocked the internet wayback machine. (Specifically)

But don't take my word for it, let their website speak for itself:
http://www.dauntless-soft.com/robots.txt

Code:
User-agent: ia_archiver
Disallow: /

That line is specifically to block the internet wayback machine and cover their lies—it has no other function.

Crooks.

-Fox
(The "Internet Wayback machine" is an archive site that crawls and creates an indexed archive of a website's history by date)

Safelog is a product released by crooks. They sold logbook software as being a perpetual license, then forced an update that made it a 'renewing' license. When I (and others) called them on their BS, they said they'd never sold their software as having a permanent license and that we were just too stupid to read the agreement.

I used the Internet Wayback machine to point to their old website where they clearly said (and in fact advertised the fact) that their software was a one-time license, 'unlike other software'.

The next time I tried to show somebody that link when discussing the issue, I noticed that they had blocked the internet wayback machine. (Specifically)

But don't take my word for it, let their website speak for itself:
http://www.dauntless-soft.com/robots.txt

Code:
User-agent: ia_archiver
Disallow: /

That line is specifically to block the internet wayback machine and cover their lies—it has no other function.

Crooks.

-Fox
(The "Internet Wayback machine" is an archive site that crawls and creates an indexed archive of a website's history by date)
I bought it in 2010, and it was pretty clear that I bought a 3 year license. I liked the interface of the software. I renewed my 3 year license last year. I don't think it's a great piece of software, but I liked it better than logbook pro.

I bought it in 2010, and it was pretty clear that I bought a 3 year license. I liked the interface of the software. I renewed my 3 year license last year. I don't think it's a great piece of software, but I liked it better than logbook pro.
I bought it well before that, and it was pretty clear that it was a permanent license.

There's a reason I'm angry, and it's not lack of reading comprehension on my part.

I reiterate strongly that there's a reason they're hiding their results from the internet archive—if they weren't, I'd have a link right now to show you the terms I purchased it under.

Do you really want to do business with a company that engages in that sort of behavior? Do you think I should say nothing on the issue and let it go? It's a matter of principal.

~Fox

I bought it well before that, and it was pretty clear that it was a permanent license.

There's a reason I'm angry, and it's not lack of reading comprehension on my part.

I reiterate strongly that there's a reason they're hiding their results from the internet archive—if they weren't, I'd have a link right now to show you the terms I purchased it under.

Do you really want to do business with a company that engages in that sort of behavior? Do you think I should say nothing on the issue and let it go? It's a matter of principal.

~Fox
I don't doubt your claim, I just don't care. Feel free to post whatever you want. Good info for a potential customer.

Back