Best course of Action

06Flyer

I asked this question before, but would love to get more peoples opinion of what I should do.

Currently,I am a Private Pilot and will hopefully have my instrument rating by the end of the week. The problem is where to go for the rest of my training.

I could:

a. continue with the part 61 program. I have over 300 hours and really the only thing I need for my commercial lisence is 10 hours in a compex airplane, the VFR day and night X-C and the 300nm solo flight with the 10 T+L's. I could probably do it in three weeks. and if I use the military flying club I belong to plus Civil Air Patrol aircraft, I could do it in under $2000. or I could ......

b. go to a part 141 school in south Georgia. Since its part 141, the VA will reimburse me 60% of my training. Iwould have to fly more hours but isnt getting hours the name of the game? It would take longer, but Am I ina hurry to get my commercial? Its not like the day after I get my commercial lisence, I'm gonna get a job. It would also meanI would have to quit my good paying federal job (I woprk for the federal government) and move to small town GA and get a job a Wal-Mart. (I'm 34 years old,this is a career change for me).

The one reason I am considering the 141 school is not so much I think it wil help me land a job sonner, but I amlooking for quakity ttraining. I am tired of the one plane FBO where if the plane is down m ther eis no flying. Flight schools have a fleet of planes. I am tired of the one on one informal instruction, where the CFI may say "sorry I'm late, my wife had me cutting the grass" I need professional training with a set corriculum. I come from military stock, so I welcome structure.

Also, I take this aviation thing seriously.I am not out to just build hours. I seriously want to master the art of flying so I can become a CFI and share that knowledge with other (I made a pledge that when I become a CFI, I am going to take a teenager to solo with no charge to myslef. Its my way of giving back)

My question is do you think you get a better aviation education in a formal flight school than in a one on one situation? Also, what do you think is the best course of action? Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
My question is do you think you get a better aviation education in a formal flight school than in a one on one situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends. I have a fantastic flight instructor and I think the training is outstanding; your situation may be different (and sounds like it is...).

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what do you think is the best course of action? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think you'll be hired on as a CFI at your current FBO? If you switch, will the new place hire you? What's important to YOU? Have you visited the new place yet?

Back