Berry Aviation HYI

I really enjoyed my time there. Most of the people I worked with have since moved on, but the company is solid and the dispatcher can sell ice to an Eskimo, so you'll stay relatively busy.

At least the 1 in 7 days off is legal.

The part I bolded is NOT legal or safe.

You should know, it's just fine to work 7 days in a row if you're "on demand" or if you're doing scheduled ops in AK. That's 135.267 for scheduled ops, and 135.261 that gives the exemption for Alaska scheduled ops. Just FYI.

Under 135.267 you only need 13 days off per quarter.

As for the 24hr on call, yeah that's totally illegal.

You should know, it's just fine to work 7 days in a row if you're "on demand" or if you're doing scheduled ops in AK. That's 135.267 for scheduled ops, and 135.261 that gives the exemption for Alaska scheduled ops. Just FYI.

Under 135.267 you only need 13 days off per quarter.

As for the 24hr on call, yeah that's totally illegal.
Ah, good ol' .267... :) Better daily rest requirements, not so much with anything else.

Ah, good ol' .267... :) Better daily rest requirements, not so much with anything else.

I've worked under both, and .265 was much more abusive to me on average. There is nothing OK about allowing a 15hr duty that's extendable to 16hrs. F-ing ridiculous. 10 hours off at least gives you enough time to decompress for an hour before you pass out from exhaustion. If you've gotten "reduced rest" from the 267 nonsense you literally cannot even have a beer with enough time to be back on duty the next day.

24/7 on call is standard practice in the automotive freight industry. No need to discuss the legality of it (or lack there of) its been covered a thousand times. I can think of at least a dozen other companies that run the same way including some 121 supp operators. Its just the nature of the beast so keep this in mind if your considering any of these companies involved in this type of work.

24/7 on call is standard practice in the automotive freight industry. No need to discuss the legality of it (or lack there of) its been covered a thousand times. I can think of at least a dozen other companies that run the same way including some 121 supp operators. Its just the nature of the beast so keep this in mind if your considering any of these companies involved in this type of work.
Are you in management?
But seriously, you could do this kind of flying totally legally, medevac industry provides 24/7.

Where is it illegal in 121 supplemental?

Are you in management?
But seriously, you could do this kind of flying totally legally, medevac industry provides 24/7.

The reason why no one does it legally is because no one else does it legally! Yes medevac gets it done right but so does all the competition, they all play by the same rules (and rightfully so). If you try to do it right with freight the other guys using rolling rest will get all the work and you will go out of business. Simple as that. There isnt enforcement across the board. Again, nature of the beast. Im not here to say its right, just stating facts about whats happening.

The reason why no one does it legally is because no one else does it legally! Yes medevac gets it done right but so does all the competition, they all play by the same rules (and rightfully so). If you try to do it right with freight the other guys using rolling rest will get all the work and you will go out of business. Simple as that. There isnt enforcement across the board. Again, nature of the beast. Im not here to say its right, just stating facts about whats happening.

Honestly, you just need one more pilot is all. That's all you need to do it legit. 2 pilots per airplane. Both ride along on the flight, one of them is simply dead heading and is not a crew member, the other is flying. Especially if you run the crews under .265 rules. Then you get 16hrs of duty time to play with from the start of their shift. If you overlap the shifts by a little, there ya go, 24/7 coverage with one day off per week totally legit for single pilot airplanes.

I believe Encore does something similar to this, but I didn't work there. Regardless, it's not that tough to provide legal, round the clock coverage if you do it like that and have 3 pilots and a 20-on-10-off schedule.

Honestly, you just need one more pilot is all. That's all you need to do it legit. 2 pilots per airplane. Both ride along on the flight, one of them is simply dead heading and is not a crew member, the other is flying. Especially if you run the crews under .265 rules. Then you get 16hrs of duty time to play with from the start of their shift. If you overlap the shifts by a little, there ya go, 24/7 coverage with one day off per week totally legit for single pilot airplanes.

I believe Encore does something similar to this, but I didn't work there. Regardless, it's not that tough to provide legal, round the clock coverage if you do it like that and have 3 pilots and a 20-on-10-off schedule.

Unfortunately, that's just how it is. Unless POIs enforce it universally, nothing will change. I worked for Encore doing this type of flying. It was 24 hours on call, as well. If you know it going into it, you can get some good experience and move on to bigger and better. It was a good stop for me, but I got out as soon as I could. If the pay were a little better, I would have stayed.

My buddy at Berry enjoys it.

Just because that's the way things are doesn't mean it's legal, safe or the way things should be.

Just because that's the way things are doesn't mean it's legal, safe or the way things should be.
Don't apply then. That was how it was years ago when I was there and I don't see it changing anytime soon. Some are cut out for ad hoc freight and some are not.

Back