Beneifts, Medical and Dental

ATC2B

Hey guys I will be starting the academy on 10/10/08. I just got married this summer and my new wife will be changing jobs because of our move. Do anyone know how soon we are eligible for medical and dental benefits? She has a cavity and would like to wait to get it filled because her current dental insurance isn't great and I know the government has a dental plan. If we get them at day 1 it would be great but if we have to wait 90 days then she needs to know. Thanks for the help.

Ready for some stereo instructions?

Health Insurance

You have 60 days from your entry on duty date to sign-up for a health insurance plan. If you don't make an election, you are considered to have declined coverage and you must wait until the next open season to enroll.

VERY IMPORTANT: Enrollment is not retroactive, and it cannot be made effective the day you enter on duty as you must have been in a pay status during some part of the pay period which precedes the one in which your enrollment becomes effective. Once this requirement has been met your enrollment will become effective on the first day of the first pay period that begins after your employing office receives your enrollment request. Thus the earliest that your health insurance can possibly become effective is the beginning of the pay period that begins after the pay period in which you are hired. You cannot be reimbursed for any medical expenses incurred prior to the effective date. You need to consider this in cancelling any other health insurance coverage you may already have, and for scheduling of doctor visits or tests.

The Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHB) is one of the most valuable benefits of Federal employment, but coverage is not automatic — you must select one of the more than 100 available health plans in order to be covered.

Although you have 60 days to make your election, it is to your advantage to make this election soon in order to be covered in case of accident or illness. There is no retroactive coverage of your expenses prior to the effective date of your coverage. The policy will begin coverage on the effective date, however, and will cover expenses occuring on or after that date, even for conditions occurring before that date.

Once you sign up for health ins (you can do this day one of employment) it becomes active the when the next full pay period starts

Once you sign up for health ins (you can do this day one of employment) it becomes active the when the next full pay period starts

Now why would you sum that up in one simple sentence, when the OPM explains it in the bold paragraph I posted above in several complex sentences that require a scientific calculator. ;)

Well I guess that really sucks for me since my father is in the military but since I'm in college I get kicked off the insurance when I turn 22 later this year. Good ole Tricare :sarcasm:!!!!!

Well I guess that really sucks for me since my father is in the military but since I'm in college I get kicked off the insurance when I turn 22 later this year. Good ole Tricare :sarcasm:!!!!!
Does your college offer health insurance?

having dealt with most INS companies, tricare blows, lol

Why do you say that? It looks like to me there are some plans that cover preventive dental care and a few that cover minor or major resorative dental care.

I have had Federal Blue Cross and Blue Shield, what I consider the best, for appx. 20 years. If you look at their and other plans, they don't cover diddly. When they say they cover check-ups once a year and preventive, etc. they are using a "normal and customary" formula. The dentist will ALWAYS charge you more.

I have had Federal Blue Cross and Blue Shield, what I consider the best, for appx. 20 years. If you look at their and other plans, they don't cover diddly. When they say they cover check-ups once a year and preventive, etc. they are using a "normal and customary" formula. The dentist will ALWAYS charge you more.

oh, I see.....your plan is a PPO, right?

I've always has dental insurance and I have never paid anything out of pocket. Than again, I have been going to the same Dentist for the last 18 years. Maybe that has something to do with it.

sounds like every dental plan I've ever had.

Can anyone recommend if the health/dental through the FAA is a better choice over TRICARE? My husband is an active army officer, so we (myself and kids) have a choice.

I think I can probably answer my own question. Since TRICARE Prime is free for the family (i.e., no employee contributions), it is probably best to keep it.

I gotta say, I don't think the benefits are ALL that they are cracked up to be. I was hoping for a lot better. Take $137 a pay check out, and you really take a hit. Here in OKC, the instructors all brag about their benefits, but I don't see it. Guess if I made $106,000 a year until I die for doing nothing I'd be stoked too ya know. Here's to one more week of Non-radar and 7 weeks left until En-Route PV day.

My husband was career military (USAF) until he retired in 2002. While he was still in, we maintained BCBS Federal PPO thru the FAA, then Tricare payed all the deductibles, etc. (TriCare ALWAYS becomes a secondary when other insurance exists). I had my tonsils out and only paid $3 out of pocket when all was said and done - the two togther is great coverage). This has been the best choice for us. Now that he's retired we still have and use TriCare as a secondary. They still pay all the deductibles, and all the difference on prescriptions, etc.

As for Dental, while he was active duty, the military dental plan (used to be Delta Dental) was what we had. All Dental plans stink, not just the govt offered ones. Back in 2002, the govt did not offer vision or dental insurance....that started about 2 years ago. I currently have the MetLife (High) and its nowhere near as good as what we got when we were active duty. I would still stick with what the military offers for dental.

PM me if you need more info on this....I am well versed at how the two work togther.
Debb

Back