Bees in Atlanta

moxiepilot

nicholas-nicholascage.gif

Delta sure dropped the ball on this one

While there isn’t a whole lot of outrage it is a tragedy. Imagine if it was puppies or kitties or something soft and fuzzy? And bees do important things…

The original SMF-SEA flight is operated by SkyWest, so maybe the reason they didn’t fit. But it’s weird they would reroute them through ATL.

We raise and keep tens of thousands of honey bees on the ranch to make several varieties/flavors of organic honey and sell the honey as part of our income to sustain the ranch. We have also planted just hundreds of flowers, plants, more fruit trees and flowering bushes and shrubs that they love, and are "bee friendly", as they need both the pollen and nectar to live/exist.

Wild Honey bees have been having some decline in their populations in the US due to a variety a variety of awful issues. Loss of habitat due to more development of land, toxic chemicals in the environment, toxic pesticides/herbicides, drought areas losing flowers and plants that the bees need to feed off and climate change are the most important issues that the bees face. Most people do not ever think of honey bees and how important they are. We need them for our food crops (their role in agriculture is just huge) and also for the flowers, trees and plants in our eco-system.......birds, other insects and even mammals rely on bees for a host of reasons.

This is a terrible event, especially since these bees were being sent to Alaska and were to be sold/distributed to commercial bee keepers there. It's just plain horrible. I hope that Delta plans on compensating (monetarily) this woman for her loss, at least. Some crappy little apology just doesn't cut it. I also hope that she is able to find more colonies as soon as possible. This is really a big deal.......again, more than most people just won't even realize how disasterous this situation really is. Ugh.

Last edited:
If the shipment is so valuable, why risk it all in one big go - split it up and send several crates over the course of a few days.

We raise and keep tens of thousands of honey bees on the ranch to make several varieties/flavors of organic honey and sell the honey as part of our income to sustain the ranch. We have also planted just hundreds of flowers, plants, more fruit trees and flowering bushes and shrubs that they love, are "bee friendly" as they need both the pollen and nectar to live/exist.

Wild Honey bees have been having some decline in their populations in the US due to a variety a variety of awful issues. Loss of habitat due to more development of land, toxic chemicals in the environment, toxic pesticides/herbicides, drought areas losing flowers and plants that the bees need to feed off and climate change are the most important issues that the bees face. Most people do not ever think of honey bees and how important they are. We need them for our food crops (their role in agriculture is just huge) and also for the flowers, trees and plants in our eco-system.......birds, other insects and even mammals rely on bees for a host of reasons.

This is a terrible event, especially since these bees were being sent to Alaska and were to be sold/distributed to commercial bee keepers there. It's just plain horrible. I hope that Delta plans on compensating (monetarily) this woman for her loss, at least. Some crappy little apology just doesn't cut it. I also hope that she is able to find more colonies as soon as possible. This is really a big deal.......again, more than most people just won't even realize how disasterous this situation really is. Ugh.

Bees, and insects in general play a large role in agriculture that is vastly underestimated. Good to hear that you’re doing your part.

No question about it, this is a tragedy.

Honey (and, believe it or not, bumble) bees are nothing short of amazing. I’ve enjoyed them landing on me just to rest for a bit - no threat or animosity, just some kindred souls hanging out. As Disneyesque at it sounds, they are remarkable creatures. Carpenter bees are pretty cool, too, once you get past their false bravado and bluster.

Anyway … we absolutely need the pollinators. I don’t know how Delta can make this right, but it certainly isn’t just a small economic loss.

No question about it, this is a tragedy.

Honey (and, believe it or not, bumble) bees are nothing short of amazing. I’ve enjoyed them landing on me just to rest for a bit - no threat or animosity, just some kindred souls hanging out. As Disneyesque at it sounds, they are remarkable creatures. Carpenter bees are pretty cool, too, once you get past their false bravado and bluster.

Anyway … we absolutely need the pollinators. I don’t know how Delta can make this right, but it certainly isn’t just a small economic loss.
Agreed with the exception of the carpenter bees if you're a homeowner. They're not dangerous but they will start to eat your house to build a nest, hence the name. They're just big, noisy, fuzzy termites.

Agreed with the exception of the carpenter bees if you're a homeowner. They're not dangerous but they will start to eat your house to build a nest, hence the name. They're just big, noisy, fuzzy termites.

Truth, of course.

I just like the big dumb (appearing) things that will buzz one like a dive bomber, yet never sting and even, once they tire, will light on a hand or arm to rest. They seem to favor the old shed on the property here and not so much the house or apartment on the property.

It is absolutely hilarious to watch the intricate dance they enjoy with Bruno and Bella who are constantly on guard.

Why not send it on Alaska?

Although the 737 Freighter doesn't fly to SMF, it does plenty of runs from SEA throughout the state of Alaska.

Build them a home and they will stay away from yours. I built a couple of them and they have left my house alone!

I built mine out of various sizes of firewood but you get the idea……

Build them a home and they will stay away from yours. I built a couple of them and they have left my house alone!

I built mine out of various sizes of firewood but you get the idea……
Perhaps I was cruel, although I never killed one unless the dogs had injured it and it was just flailing around on the ground, I'd just step on it. I'd use quicksetting wood caulk and pump it into the holes until it flowed out, wipe it off, wait for it to cure and then paint over it. Carpenter bees are not conducive to home ownership if they're in your area or for some reason they find your house tasty. I don't hate them, I just don't like things trying to eat my house.

Back