Beech Sierra

Very comfy. I used to own a Musketeer and Beechcraft made a good product. It will be slower than an Arrow but bigger inside. Two doors. They land a litte weird. Just make sure you aren't too fast and that you maintain a nose up attitude and land on the mains first. They will porpoise if you are fast and get the nose gear. It's not pretty.

I don't remember if you are looking to build time or actually fly for fun.
But, a quick calculation shows a 7% discount by renting the F-33 Bo on a would-be three hour flight in the Sierra, with the companies given price points and given TAS.

I instructed for a guy who owned one. It was his retirement plane. He's older and heavier and it was plenty comfy for the 2 of us. It slippery and definitely lands funny. Getting too slow in it on landing will get ugly if you're not careful. Carry power into the flare

I instructed for a guy who owned one. It was his retirement plane. He's older and heavier and it was plenty comfy for the 2 of us. It slippery and definitely lands funny. Getting too slow in it on landing will get ugly if you're not careful. Carry power into the flare
Sounds like our Cardinal....

Maybe the one I instructed in was a piece of crap, but I didn't not like the plane. Didn't seem to like more than 2 people on board even when W&B was within the limits. The whole airplane would shudder like a dog shaking off water when power was applied during a go around or stall recovery. Glides like a Steinway piano. The best thing that ever happened to the Sierra was when one of our instructors had a gear up with a commercial student.

Roomy, but pretty unexciting. I take that back. I remember checking out in one, an the instructor made me do an emergency decent. The way you sit in it made it look like we were going straight down at the ground. Optical illusion, but it was pretty thrilling. Like said above, stay on speed while landing, and don't bounce the nose gear. The one I flew hated if the power was taken completely out in the flare. Always smoother with a bit of power left in.

Thanks for all the input. This would not be to build time, but more to move the wife and kid up to Michigan from Chicago when I don't feel like driving over 3 hours, or to split time with a co-worker for some fun weekend trips.

Thanks for all the input. This would not be to build time, but more to move the wife and kid up to Michigan from Chicago when I don't feel like driving over 3 hours, or to split time with a co-worker for some fun weekend trips.
It's a slow airplane so a drive might be a better option!

I have 700 hours in the fixed variants and they do seem a littl funny when you are sitting on the spar. I echo the same warnings as was said earlier, don't land on the nose!

Maybe the one I instructed in was a piece of crap, but I didn't not like the plane. Didn't seem to like more than 2 people on board even when W&B was within the limits. The whole airplane would shudder like a dog shaking off water when power was applied during a go around or stall recovery. Glides like a Steinway piano. The best thing that ever happened to the Sierra was when one of our instructors had a gear up with a commercial student.

I agree with this. One of my least favorite airplanes fly. Underpowered, climbs like a dog even when well under gross. Drops like a rock without power, and after you land one for the first time you'll realize it's probably best suited on the ground.

Pros:
3 entry doors
spacious cabin
trailing link gear
Cons:
slower than a J3 cub floats (exageration)

Meh, specs say 131 kts at 75% power...if I'm more comfortable than a 172, it's a fair trade off.

If you're flying XC, trying to build time, doesn't a slower airplane benefit you?

Super comfy, Beech stoutness, logical panel. So what if it's 10 knots slower? You don't have to try to close the door over the person next to you. The gear has rubber biscuits rather than air/oil oleos, like a Mooney. They need some attention, like anything else. The older, constant chord Arrows dropped like a chrome plated manhole cover also, so that's nothing unique.

So it lands a little different? A poor carpenter blames his tools. Use this as an oppotunity to practice adapting to a new bird...something you'll do often enough.

Richman

I've got around 20 hours in one and enjoyed it. I thought it flew well just leave some power on for the flare and all is good. It does bounce a but more with the rubber pucks in the main gear than an archer or arrow but no big deal really. I think it's a good choice, the space is nice for sure.

Back