Beech B60 Duke

Are you sure about that? The 58P will, but the B58 will not.

From the research I've done, comparing speed of a Baron vs. Duke isn't really a comprehensive comparison. Yes, they actually are similar speeds, particularly down low, but the Duke is cabin class (passenger comfort), has a 30,000' service ceiling versus 20,000' in the Baron (get on top of more weather, have more options if an engine quits over the mountains, can utilize stronger tailwinds eastbound), carries a couple hundred pounds more (depending on equipment, of course), and has a slightly better range.

Are you comparing a b58 or 58p?The 58p will do nearly the same mission as a b60 on less fuel burn.

You can go back on topic. I was nearly pointing out the difference between the b58 / 58p / b60 compared to the 300/400 class Cessna.

I run my boss back and forth to DC most of the time (45-50 minutes). Occasionally we'll take a weekend trip somewhere an hour or two away. As I mentioned, we have a T-Duke, so it's not AS bad...but it's still bad.

Which field are you out of? I'm flying out of ORF and SFQ and I think I may know the plane you're talking about.

Are you comparing a b58 or 58p?The 58p will do nearly the same mission as a b60 on less fuel burn.

Oh, gotcha. Yes, I was looking at the B58s. The 58P looks very capable. Although it's still not cabin class, and the initial purchase price looks to be a bit higher than a Duke.

Have you physically sat in them before? I'm wondering how the cockpit ergonomics compare. For instance, a lot of large pilots can't get physically comfortable in a Malibu because of the cramped cockpit. Any difference between the 58P/B60?

You can go back on topic. I was nearly pointing out the difference between the b58 / 58p / b60 compared to the 300/400 class Cessna.

Nah, this is on topic as far as I'm concerned! Trying to be able to make quick, accurate comparisons between all aircraft in this class.

Have lots of runway. At sea level it rotated 3/4 of the way down a 3100 foot runway, and even then it didn't seem to want to fly... for all the 90gph it was burning.

Oh, gotcha. Yes, I was looking at the B58s. The 58P looks very capable. Although it's still not cabin class, and the initial purchase price looks to be a bit higher than a Duke.

Have you physically sat in them before? I'm wondering how the cockpit ergonomics compare. For instance, a lot of large pilots can't get physically comfortable in a Malibu because of the cramped cockpit. Any difference between the 58P/B60?

Nah, this is on topic as far as I'm concerned! Trying to be able to make quick, accurate comparisons between all aircraft in this class.
There is a reason the 58P holds it's retail.

I have sat in both airframes and they both fit well (I'm 6'2'' 180lbs.).

Personally, I believe the 58P is an amazing aircraft. It will do 3k ft strips, cruise at fl230 @ 210kts while burning 30 gal / hr. It's really hard to beat.

I have some time in Dukes. I wasn't the one paying the bills or operating expenses, so it wasn't a terrible airplane to fly. If you're going to sell someone a duke you may want to consider bundling the deal with a second duke. One to fly and one for parts. Ours spends most of its time in maintenance. We always come back from flights with a new list for the mechanics.
It's seems to me that the people who own them are attached to them. But for someone looking for a practical, usable aircraft there are better choices out there that are still supported.

Mooney_AcclaimS-7.jpg

This will be the view of the Duke's pilot following the single engine airplane at the flight levels..........:bang:

I worked for a sales company that sold a few Dukes while I was there and basically, you're getting a cabin-class twin without much of a cabin. If you want to fly 6 people around in pressurized comfort, a Malibu is a more cost effective option. C340s, 414s and 421s are superior in terms of cabin flexibility and equal or better in terms of speed. I flew one a couple of times and it wasn't that impressive. Nice, but nothing special.

And I can tell you from watching those Dukes sit around for a long time at my old company, most pilots/owners think pretty much the same thing. Good luck!

...where do I begin

...where do I begin

Uh, I don't know. I hope you didn't mistake me for a Duke expert. My experience is exactly as I stated. literally 2 flights at the controls and having a few fairly clean examples sitting in our sales company's inventory. Not a lot of people called about them, and they sat in inventory for a very long time. As I recall, one of them just went back to its owner because no one was making offers on it. Bonanzas, Barons, 210s, 340s, 414s, and 421s sold all the time. The Dukes did not. That's it.

Uh, I don't know. I hope you didn't mistake me for a Duke expert. My experience is exactly as I stated. literally 2 flights at the controls and having a few fairly clean examples sitting in our sales company's inventory. Not a lot of people called about them, and they sat in inventory for a very long time. As I recall, one of them just went back to its owner because no one was making offers on it. Bonanzas, Barons, 210s, 340s, 414s, and 421s sold all the time. The Dukes did not. That's it.

After reading your "fly around 6 people in a Malibu," comment, I didn't even read the rest of your response.

I always thought the Duke was an odd airframe, but according to the owners' group there are still 400+ Dukes flying. I didn't realize they are so common, relatively speaking.

The Duke is a fine airplane. Have a few flights in one and it was a good flyer. The answer to whether it's a useful plane or not is: it depends. Depends what you're using it for or what you want to use it for.

The Duke is a fine airplane. Have a few flights in one and it was a good flyer. The answer to whether it's a useful plane or not is: it depends. Depends what you're using it for or what you want to use it for.

MikeD go to bed!

Sent from my Colecovision Adam

Very true. This advice could apply to any airframe.

Do you know of any missions the Duke is suited for better than similar aircraft? I'm starting to get an idea from other sources, but not 100% clear.

JC is a wonderful resource for many things, but when it comes to GA flying, a lot of times I feel like I'm talking to a group of 75 year old men at an airport diner--nuggets of truth mixed in with piles of rumor, unfounded reputations, and hearsay.

Back