Becoming a pilot?

Welcome. You've come to the right place. You'll find a ton of information.

Those AP classes are not necessary. I took AP Calculus, AP Physics, and AP Government, last year, for my senior year in high school. Let me tell you, that was the biggest mistake of my high school career. I mean if you like doing excessive amounts of homework only to learn just a little bit more then you would by taking a regular class, then go ahead and do that. I ended up dropping AP Calculus and AP Physics and passed AP Government with a D. I wish I would've taken the regular classes. Oh, well, I still graduated. AP classes are the academic form of college tech prep courses in high school.

Stick with the AP courses. Just because this guy couldn't hack it doesn't mean you can't. Push yourself to reach your full potential. Later you can look back and be proud that you didn't take the path of least resistance. Don't make it your goal to "just graduate." Any employer wants a driven, ambitious person who did more than the bare minimum. I guarantee you that applicant "A" with the AP courses and the excellent grades will win over applicant "B" with only regular courses even though they both have the same diploma. Besides that, if college is your goal, which it should be, the AP courses will be an asset.

To the OP, this is my yearly pay after graduting college and working as a pilot:

2003 $7,548
2004 $16,928
2005 $27,841
2006 $30,836
2007 $38,708
2008 $55,942
2009 Close to 2007 numbers due to large pay cut

Avg: $29,630/yr since graduating college with a 4 year degree.

If you are OK living on this pay go for it. If not find something else. You sound smart, you can easily be making double my average pay out of college doing something else.

Thank you for posting this, wheelsup.

It is tough to make ends meet at first (and second, and third, etc). But if you want it, go for it. This site has plenty of airline pilots who have a ton of good info to share. The glam fades when your schedule gets changed by tracking, you're stuck at an outstation for six hours due to bad WX at your home base, you get re-assigned, then re-re-assigned, well...you get the idea.

At any rate, best of luck to you, ark angel! Keep us posted on your progress. :)

1. Texas is better than Ohio. Easy decision. I have never been to Ohio but after growing up in Texas I am pretty sure.

2. You are in the middle of high school and currently have good grades, which means there is the potential for some attractive college options. State schools will offer generous scholarships to the top high school students, especially if you pass a threshold on the National Merit Test. A free ride to college would free up financial resources for flight training. It's something worth aiming for.

3. Whether it's high school, college, or graduate school, it's ultimately about learning, not grades (never let your schooling interfere with your education). I've always felt I learned more in the harder classes rather than the easier ones, and physics and calculus were amongst my favorites. The more you understand these subjects, the more you will understand how things work (airplanes, for instance).

Nothing will take my ridiculous bias away from me! Nothing I say! (I'm sure Ohio is nice).

To the original poster: think about starting out your flying life in gliders. It can be a cheaper (and more fun) way to learn the fundamentals. Gliding clubs also tend to be social with pilots coming from many sectors of life including different parts of professional aviation. I've talked with old ex-test pilots, Pan Am guys, etc. hanging around the glider port waiting for a tow. Check out www.ssa.org to find a gliding club near you.

Like the others have said, check out the Mom and Pop flight schools. They usually have more experienced flight instructors, not just guys trying to build hours to move on to the regionals. I'm not saying they are bad, but I think if you have a retired military or commercial pilot as an instructor, they will have a lot more to offer you. Go with whats cheapest as far as planes. You don't need the newest Cessna 172 with a glass cockpit, you will still be able to learn just as good on an older Cessna 150 with the six pack. It's crazy how much money you can save just by doing this.

I would get a 1st class medical if I were you. This way, you know you will be able to meet those requirements later on if you do decide to stick with aviation.

As you begin to look for colleges, don't limit yourself by getting a Professional Pilot degree. If you have an accident and you lose your medical, there won't be much else for you to do. Airlines won't really care what you got your degree in, it is more the fact that you got a four year degree. I would suggest going to a quality state school that is a little bit cheaper. This way, you won't have as much loans to pay off while you aren't making much in the regionals.

There's so much more than just this, but many other posters have already covered some of the other stuff. Don't hesistate to ask questions on here, there is no such thing as a stupid question. There will be some that are bitter about aviation, so don't get scared off by one post. Read as much as you can, I can't even begin to tell you how much I've learned on here.

Welcome!!!

To the OP, this is my yearly pay after graduting college and working as a pilot:

2003 $7,548
2004 $16,928
2005 $27,841
2006 $30,836
2007 $38,708
2008 $55,942
2009 Close to 2007 numbers due to large pay cut

Avg: $29,630/yr since graduating college with a 4 year degree.

If you are OK living on this pay go for it. If not find something else. You sound smart, you can easily be making double my average pay out of college doing something else.

Interesting post. Made me think about what my comparison might be.

1988 $15,000 commuter First Officer
1989 $25,000 commuter Captain/major First Officer
1990 $36,000 major First Officer
1991 $24,000 major First Officer/furloughed
1992 $20,000 furloughed/corporate shuttle pilot
1993 $36,000 non-sched First Officer
1994 $50,000 non-sched Captain
1995 $75,000 non-sched Captain/expat Captain
1996 $132,000 expat Captain

That said, I was pretty happy that first year out of school. The key being that I had no debt and was single so $15,000/year was plenty. Shared an apartment in Sacramento and went skiing, white water rafting, fishing, etc and had a blast. Didn't worry much about what I made for most of the first 6 years because I was single and didn't have any debt. Kept living a simple life and enjoyed my time off.

So what is the alternative? Go to shcool and get a degree in something you don't enjoy so you can make more money and be miserable? Drive to and from work Monday through Friday and be lucky if you get two weeks of vacation a year. No thanks.

TP

Wow! Thanks for all the replies everyone! And the PM's! This site already has been a lot of help! I'll probably be looking to work at Sporty's for now just to make some cash, and then get trained somewhere else. My friend is supposed to be taking me on a flight in a Cessna. And I'll be fine living off the pay that wheelsup posted. For people that sent me PMs, it'll take me awhile to reply cause I'm still re-reading this thread!

Thanks everyone! I'll keep you guys posted as I go a long! :)

Interesting post. Made me think about what my comparison might be.

1988 $26,962.02 commuter First Officer
1989 $42,878.53 commuter Captain/major First Officer
1990 $58,581.68 major First Officer
1991 $37,480.28 major First Officer/furloughed
1992 $30,323.85 furloughed/corporate shuttle pilot
1993 $52,993.14 non-sched First Officer
1994 $71,736.43 non-sched Captain
1995 $104,980.15 non-sched Captain/expat Captain
1996 $179,383.55 expat Captain

Adjusted for inflation in 2008.

Source: http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Ark Angel114,

I started flying in 1976. I did GA, Undergrad in Aerospace Science, Military Pilot, Military Instructor Pilot, Airlines.

If I had it to do over and I were you, with your academic track record, I would do this:

Get an Undergrad Degree that would put me on track to medical school. Get accepted into medical school and have the USAF pay for it. Become an AF Flight Surgeon. Complete a Surgical residency.

You get to fly Air Force Jets, Helos, wear a flight suit.

Bonus money better than any other AF career track.

At the end of your commitment you have options:

(1) Stay in
(2) Go in the Reserves as a Flight Doc do whatever you want with time off
(3) Get out go in private practice as a SURGEON! Make big BANK! Fly for fun and do it safely because you will have picked up great experience flying AF aircraft.
(4) Get out and go after a commercial pilot career.

All 4 options you get to fly. I already know which option you will not pick when the time comes but I will leave that for you to discover on your own.

Good luck!

<snip> And I'll be fine living off the pay that wheelsup posted. <snip>

Here is the issue: A young person takes a "snapshot" of pilot pay in the teen years or early 20's. "Looks ok".

2 problems,

(1) What seems like "enough" money at a young age quickly becomes inadequate due to increasing financial obligations that grow as one ages, builds a family, etc. If you never get married, don't start a family, live in a shack, drive a beater (sleep in your beater), buy your clothes at Goodwill, wash up in public restrooms..... Then actually it might be enough.

(2) What has consistently happened over the last 30 years is the pay keeps going down adjusted for inflation and you NEVER reach the pay (adjusted for inflation) that was the top of scale regardless of where you jumped in. There has been NOTHING over the last 30+ years to stop, slow down, or reverse this trend. Many think 3407 will be viewed as a defining moment that stops the slide. In fact I think it will simply accelerate the push for MPL training programs, to be funded of course by the pilot wannabe.

I would suggest looking into other pilot careers besides the airlines. There are many other options where you still get to fly, but have much better pay and overall quality of life (QOL) than the airlines.

I would suggest looking into other pilot careers besides the airlines. There are many other options where you still get to fly, but have much better pay and overall quality of life (QOL) than the airlines.

Yeah at first when I wanted to be a pilot I always thought of just being a pilot for the airlines, but now I've realized there are a lot of other careers out there as well. I talked to one guy a while ago that flies for a corperataion in Seatle. He said he works 5 days then has 5 days off and his company pays for him to commute out there commercially, so he gets to rack up the airline miles and get the free travel just like the airline pilots.

Yeah at first when I wanted to be a pilot I always thought of just being a pilot for the airlines, but now I've realized there are a lot of other careers out there as well. I talked to one guy a while ago that flies for a corperataion in Seatle. He said he works 5 days then has 5 days off and his company pays for him to commute out there commercially, so he gets to rack up the airline miles and get the free travel just like the airline pilots.
Now that is a gig! But I am sure he had thousands and thousands of hours? Corporations like hiring very experienced pilots for many reasons like insurance and they can afford the best of the best.

As for advice I have not been on JC for a long time. Since I was 10 till I was 16 all I ever wanted to do was be a commercial pilot. But 9/11 happened and the reality that I would not be able to live the life I live today on a pilots salary until maybe when I am 45 flying for a major but you see many 45 year old captains still flying RJ's. I still love aviation and if I really want to fly I think I would just go to the air force. They pay well and you get a job with a major right after. I am pursuing another career right now. I hoping one day to become a federal agent (starting salary around $55,000 instead of $20,000 almost guaranteed to make $100,000 after 3-4 years) and actually some agencies use agents as pilots also so I will pursue something like that as well. I still love aviation and want to fly and get my licenses one day but you have to make sure you want this and want the pilots life and that you will make the sacrifices to be a pilot. Take some lessons ASAP the sooner you start the better to know if you really love flying. Because being a pilot is not a job its a lifestyle. Is it a good lifestyle? Yea IMO it is besides for the poor pay but also get a four year degree. I would also recommend you dont get your four year degree in "Flying". Dont go to ERAU or UND to just fly. Get it in Aviation management or business etc. Why? Well if you get in a car accident one day (god forbid) and lose a finger or have bad eye sight due to a injury etc there goes your flying career.

If you have a passion for it and love flying go for it!! Dont let my post put you down I just feel that people need to see both sides of the story.
Feel free to ask me any other questions for four years all I did was research on how to become a commercial pilot.

Happy and safe flying :)

Hello everyone,

First off to introduce myself, My name is Alan. I am 16 years old almost 17 (in September) I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. I was told to go to this site to ask questions about aviation. I am looking for some guidance. I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

Now, I am looking to be a commercial airline pilot when I am older. Right now, I have straight A's in high school and will be taking AP courses such as Euro, and maybe AP Calculus and AP Physics soon. I am not sure if these are necessary or not, but I was told that Algebra and just Physics would be fine.

I have no idea where to start, and I know becoming a pilot is very expensive until later on down the road. I'm doing this because not only do I love flying and have a passion for it, my dad died in 2002 and wanted me to become a pilot. It's my goal. Right now, I do not know if I want to stay in Ohio after I graduate high school, or move down to Texas. I want to know how to get started, and learn in-depth about the requirements of being a pilot. I am a tiny person, I'm 5'5" at 110 pounds, my metabolism is ridiculous. I want to especially know about the medical classes such as the 3rd and 1st class, I want to know exactly what they look for. I wear glasses also.

And I was also wondering about aptitude tests also. My option that I know of right now is to go to a place nearby me called "Sporty's Pilot Shop" and take flying lessons there. Can people here shed some light on this info for me? And how to get started, where can I get these medical tests done, etc.

Thanks!

I do not know if the military interests you but personally, if I were you I would try and apply to the Air Force and Naval academies. I wish I had applied myself more in high school and attempted this. They are both starting to grant waivers for vision. I do not know your specific vision situation, but the Air Force is 20/70 distance and the Navy is 20/40.

All 4 options you get to fly. I already know which option you will not pick when the time comes but I will leave that for you to discover on your own.

I too had the Air Force pay for my Engineering degree. Having them pay for medical school is awesome too. Engineering pays really, really well - depending on what you do. As well as some physicians make. And you don't need medical school/internships/residency. Petroleum, chemical, civil, mechanical engineers all do really well.

I would stick with AP courses if you can. Grades don't matter, the score you get on the AP exams at the end do. Got me out of most of my freshman year course load. This gives you a little cushion to make sure you get out in 4 years, and saves you some money.

As for flying now, I second the idea of looking for a glider operation. You can probably trade your services helping out with wing walking, putting away gliders/etc for free lessons.

^^^
Don't just limit yourself to the airlines. There's a lot of jobs where you can get paid (sometimes better than the airlines) to fly planes. Definitely get to know people at the airport you fly out of too. Who you know goes a long way, and a lot of people will probably try to help you out if they see you work hard toward your goals. Jetcareers is a huge help for getting to know people in aviation too. I definitely wish I knew about it when I started to fly at 14.

Back