Becoming a Dispatcher in 2021?

dejayou

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice and perspective with regards to becoming a dispatcher in 2021. I was planning on getting certified in 2020, but then COVID-19 came and upended the industry/world.

I know it's hard to predict the future, but does anyone think it would be prudent to get certified in 2021? My major concern is obviously not being able to find employment afterwards. What does everyone think about the short-term and long-term prospects for dispatchers?

I really appreciate any type of advice you can offer.

My Opinion. Obviously nobody knows for sure what will happen.

Passenger Carriers:
Short Term (1-3 yrs): Carriers will start to bring back their furloughed employees. Regionals will hire small classes infrequently.
Medium Term (3-5 yrs): Regionals will start having larger classes. Majors will hire small classes infrequently.
Long Term (5+ yrs): Return to 2019 levels of hiring throughout the industry.

Cargo Carriers:
Short Term (1-3 yrs): Large Growth as E-Commerce takes over. Lots of hiring, but rarely does cargo hire inexperienced dispatchers.
Medium Term (3-5 yrs): Small-Medium Growth. Maybe 1 class of 2 per year at somewhere like UPS as E-Commerce continues to grow
Long Term (5+ yrs): Small Growth. E-Commerce will mostly level off, but will continue to grow 2-3% per year. Less hiring, but still expect some.

Adding again that I have no idea what will actually happen. This is just a prediction. Everything could return to normal this Summer for all I know. But that uncertainty is precisely why I wouldn't recommend putting all your eggs in this basket.

Last edited:
I think that the regionals will be hiring like normal before long. If you're willing to move anywhere you could probably get a job in 2021. The majors won't be hiring until they bring back their furloughed dispatchers, and there's no timeline on the table for that.

My Opinion. Obviously nobody knows for sure what will happen.

Passenger Carriers:
Short Term (1-3 yrs): Carriers will start to bring back their furloughed employees. Regionals will hire small classes infrequently.
Medium Term (3-5 yrs): Regionals will start having larger classes. Majors will hire small classes infrequently.
Long Term (5+ yrs): Return to 2019 levels of hiring throughout the industry.

Cargo Carriers:
Short Term (1-3 yrs): Large Growth as E-Commerce takes over. Lots of hiring, but rarely does cargo hire inexperienced dispatchers.
Medium Term (3-5 yrs): Small-Medium Growth. Maybe 1 class of 2 per year at somewhere like UPS as E-Commerce continues to grow
Long Term (5+ yrs): Small Growth. E-Commerce will mostly level off, but will continue to grow 2-3% per year. Less hiring, but still expect some.

Adding again that I have no idea what will actually happen. This is just a prediction. Everything could return to normal this Summer for all I know. But that uncertainty is precisely why I wouldn't recommend putting all your eggs in this basket.
I disagree with the cargo outlook. I know of one company who was forecasting 10% per year compounding growth just a couple years ago. That same company has publicly said that CoVid has only permanently increased express shipping via e-commerce.

My Cargo Outlook

1-2 years:
Companies are very hesitant to grow more than 2019 levels and therefore due to the economic climate stay conservative with capital expenditures. Besides FedEx Hiring of Dispatchers will be from the regionals with experience averaging around 3-5 years with a recommendation, 3% growth of seniority lists per year.
3-5 years:
As the economy fully recovers it’ll become obvious that growth is needed. There will be some large orders announced for planes. Hiring will increase significantly 5% growth of seniority lists minimum 10% possible.
5-10 years:
Maturation of the e-commerce boom, growth from here on will be around 3-5% and hiring will be about that as well.
10+ years:
3% growth forever is as good of guess as I can come up with.

I think the big thing with cargo is realizing that while it is exploding right now and it is a safe and preferable place to dispatch for many people, it’s only so big. So seeing 10% per year growth short term sounds amazing but I think FedEx has around 225, UPS 105, Atlas/Polar 80 and Kalitta 40. That’s only 450 in total so very similar to having only United grow 10%. 40-50 people per year is something but it’s not amazing.

IF you can get a job at a regional or quality 135 that’s not too bad. You can embrace the suck like we all did. It’s not like you can go to a major right now anyway.

Anyone lucky enough to get on at a cargo carrier in the next couple years are likely to gain some significant seniority with growth any whatever retirements there are.

Like everyone has said, no one really knows. So take that for what it is worth.

Somethings to consider:

1. How easy is it to get your license now versus later?
2. Are you looking at getting a job immediately after earning your license?
3. Will you put yourself in a financial bind if you get your license this year?
4. If you have a significant other, do they agree with your proposed plans?
5. What are your long term goals? How soon do you want to achieve them?
6. Can you afford to move if you got hired somewhere?

Thank you all for your insights. You have given me a lot to think about. I suppose that I also have to consider my age (I'm 34). I will have to see if it makes sense to continue to pursue this with regards to seniority and schedules in the future. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the vaccine brings about a faster than expected return to the industry.

If you truly decide being a freight dog is for you, just get on with the carrier doing anything - throwing boxes whatever, and in your own time get the ticket. I know for purple and I would assume that brown is the same - they LOVE internals. Also, at least at Purple, there is a tuition reimbursement program.

If you truly decide being a freight dog is for you, just get on with the carrier doing anything - throwing boxes whatever, and in your own time get the ticket. I know for purple and I would assume that brown is the same - they LOVE internals. Also, at least at Purple, there is a tuition reimbursement program.

FEDEX loves internals...UPS from what I hear not so much.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Look I Did One flight planning system. :sarcasm:
LIDO is a joke, of the three I’ve used, worst system by far compared to SABRE, and NavTech. Not one person has come from another LIDO using office that I know of.

Internal hiring is non-existent at UPS I think because of the high degree of standard we train to. I would think on average our group can keep stride with any other group of Dispatchers. It’s a more known quantity if someone has “X” years of experience.

Just my $0.02

LIDO is a joke, of the three I’ve used, worst system by far compared to SABRE, and NavTech. Not one person has come from another LIDO using office that I know of.

Internal hiring is non-existent at UPS I think because of the high degree of standard we train to. I would think on average our group can keep stride with any other group of Dispatchers. It’s a more known quantity if someone has “X” years of experience.

Just my $0.02
That doesn't really explain hiring internals vs externals. Some companies use the approach of hiring internals who are green so they can mold them into the standard they want. Others prefer to hire external so they can draw from an experienced pool. I would think the later is the approach UPS is using with their penchant for hiring external. It's a bit conceited and pointless to go around comparing work groups, especially since most of us haven't worked for more than 2-3 airlines.

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice and perspective with regards to becoming a dispatcher in 2021. I was planning on getting certified in 2020, but then COVID-19 came and upended the industry/world.

I know it's hard to predict the future, but does anyone think it would be prudent to get certified in 2021? My major concern is obviously not being able to find employment afterwards. What does everyone think about the short-term and long-term prospects for dispatchers?

I really appreciate any type of advice you can offer.
If it were me, I'd proceed with caution; that is to say, look before you leap. Do you have a career now? Are you working? Does it look like you'll REMAIN employed for the foreseeable future? If you got your ADX, worked, and for whatever reason, left the field, would you be able to go back to your old career? Would you be able to earn a living? Would you be able to quickly go about earning $$$ to pay the bills and what not?

I tried DX a few years ago, and it wasn't for me. I'd worked in power electronics and retired from it, so for me, DX was a second career. I didn't lose anything by getting my cert. After going to school and working a few months, I broke even. Had I not been in that position, I don't think I would have done it.

Then, as other posters brought out, do you want a house? Are you married? Are you willing and able to move? Until you build experience, can you live on $15-$16 per hour?

If you want to get your ADX, do it, but proceed with caution. Have a backup! I can't emphasize that enough. Whether it's being able to return to your old line of work or having money in the bank, make sure that, if DX doesn't work out for any reason, that you won't be hurt in the long run.

Those are my rambling and disjointed thoughts.. Good luck with whatever you do... :)

Just my $0.02
LIDO IS a joke! It's a huge PITA too. It always seemed to do these LONG updates right in the middle of the 6 PM rush...

Back