Becoming a Dispatch... SOS

Any simpler. Coming from someone with a line “don’t hesitate, penetrate.” Please stop commenting on my thread multiple times. You’re rude as ever

who’swhoo is just a little upset of this being brought up again. Don’t take this as an attack on you, just a simple advice. You can’t let this get you worked up. As a dispatcher you will have to deal with a lot more crap then “can this be any simpler?”... sometimes you’ll get a very needy and rude captain, a very demanding and aggressive sector supervisor, maintenance controller without people skills, or know-it-all coworker that likes to point out your dispatch “mistakes”... you will need to have thick skin as a dispatcher and be able to ignore comments like that. Just an advice.

Bro, just a question y’all really need to calm down. I get told I need to have thick skin, but yet there’s 3 of you getting worked up over this being asked again lol my apologies for annoying you, but thanks for letting me know this is apparently something that should not be asked. Noted
You still drunk from last night?

lol this thread just got great.

Gillybert....I wouldnt go around telling people not to get worked up after a quadruple and a double post. Appears you're the one that shouldn't get worked up. People above are right, school means almost nothing. Go get your ticket at the most convenient spot for you....and toughen up. You let a few forum posts get to you, then I feel bad for you the first time a Capt calls and has a problem with your release.

It's true you do learn the job and develop most of your skills after you get your license and get hired by an airline - by actually doing the job. However a good foundation in the basics is important so make sure to research that the school you attend will provide one. I am happy I attended the school I did (Sheffield) as I feel it did a fine job in that regard. It had a solid reputation, and was also at the time the only VA-approved dispatch school I could find (there probably are others now.) As others have suggested, I would search through the forum posts to see what other members think - it is a subject that has been discussed in detail numerous times here. I don't remember any discussions specific to ADTC, but I would be slightly leery of attending a new school as they have a less well-established reputation than a place that's been in business for a long time. I also saw on their web site that they advertise a 100% practical exam pass rate so far - which makes me wonder if they are "helping" some weaker students pass their course in order to maintain that number. I do not know anything firsthand about their owner or program, but I'd definitely recommend contacting former students from there to see what they thought of the course.

Last edited:
You might be offended but it’s actually not bad advice. The quicker you get your license, the quicker you get experience and get interviews at a major. Go to the school that works best with your location/schedule and get it done, as quickly as possible. Majors are hiring quite a few dispatchers right now but this won’t always be the case.

I would be more particular about which regional/airline I went to. That training is actually important since it will be the foundation upon which you build your dispatch knowledge.

Unfortunately no. No sense in continuing the negativity. Thanks for the advice, see you around Luigi lol
Lighten up Francis.
Oh good god relax,

Gillybert....I wouldnt go around telling people not to get worked up after a quadruple and a double post. Appears you're the one that shouldn't get worked up. People above are right, school means almost nothing. Go get your ticket at the most convenient spot for you....and toughen up. You let a few forum posts get to you, then I feel bad for you the first time a Capt calls and has a problem with your release.
Looks like we have a new CRJ in the heart of Texas or whatever his name was. You will not succeed in this industry with your attitude. Find something else.
Everyone calm down, I got a little worked up. Appreciate
It's true you do learn the job and develop most of your skills after you get your license and get hired by an airline - by actually doing the job. However a good foundation in the basics is important so make sure to research that the school you attend will provide one. I am happy I attended the school I did (Sheffield) as I feel it did a good job in that regard. It had a good reputation, and was also at the time, the only VA-approved dispatch school I could find (there probably are others now.) As others have suggested, I would search through the forum posts to see what other members think - it is a subject that has been discussed in detail numerous times here.
thanks I appreciate it. Just a big a change and I wanted to hear the pros and cons of everything.

Well I suppose you’re right lol thanks for the tips though. Just a rough holiday. No excuse but everyone’s got bad days. Thanks again.

I would be more particular about which regional/airline I went to. That training is actually important since it will be the foundation upon which you build your dispatch knowledge.

Personally, I wouldn't be super picky on which regional I got hired by. Obviously you don't want to go to a company in horrible financial shape or in a location where you couldn't stand living, but when you have no experience, you usually should go with the first job offer you get. If it turns out you don't like the way things are run there, it will be much easier to find another regional position with some experience (even a limited amount) vs. no experience. Also, if you are out of dispatch school for a long period before getting hired, hiring managers may wonder why it's taken you so long to get hired (and your knowledge from school will be less fresh.)

Personally, I wouldn't be super picky on which regional I got hired by. Obviously you don't want to go to a company in horrible financial shape or in a location where you couldn't stand living, but when you have no experience, you usually should go with the first job offer you get. If it turns out you don't like the way things are run there, it will be much easier to find another regional position with some experience (even a limited amount) vs. no experience. Also, if you are out of dispatch school for a long period before getting hired, hiring managers may wonder why it's taken you so long to get hired (and your knowledge from school will be less fresh.)
[/
Good to know. I’m hoping to get back home on the west coast and have a couple in mind I’m hoping work out

Co

Considering his tag line is, “don’t hesitate, penetrate” I won’t be taking his advice very seriously. I appreciate your input, but it’s clear there are very different opinions on this topic which is why I wanted to ask for myself and get to a comfortable decision. Thank you :)
Attacking someone's tag line is just hurtful. Some of us put a lot of effort into these things.

Back