Becoming a Dispatch... SOS

Ngilbert

Hey everyone! I'm new here, but I'm sure all the vets in this thing can spot that lol I'm looking to begin my career as a dispatch and I wanted to hear opinions on schooling. I've read on here already it really doesn't matter where you go, but I'd still like the input. I've never worked in the aviation field, I've been in real estate and accounting for the past few years and been trying to figure out what I really want to do with my life (don't we all) and after extensive research I finally found the dispatch position. At the moment I've been looking at ADTC in Dallas - the pricing of their program seems reasonable, the staff there has been really accommodating and helpful and very prompt. But, I don't see much review or background or their name brought up by other people in forums so I'm curious if anyone here does? I know Sheffield is a big name, but there's just something about them I'm sure of. I worry they're more for the type that have some knowledge and background of the field and I won't be able to keep up being there. I also read about IFOD which interested me... I appreciate the input on the schools!

Overall I would say that the license carries the same weight anywhere, but some schools are going to better equip you for the beginnings of your career with more of the tribal knowledge as you get your skills up. The top three are Jeppesen, IFOD and Sheffield and you can't go wrong with any. I personally went to Jepp and am very happy I did. They are extremely knowledgeable and helpful even after finishing with them, as well as still regularly email me with the new postings around the industry to help be among the first to apply.

Overall I would say that the license carries the same weight anywhere, but some schools are going to better equip you for the beginnings of your career with more of the tribal knowledge as you get your skills up. The top three are Jeppesen, IFOD and Sheffield and you can't go wrong with any. I personally went to Jepp and am very happy I did. They are extremely knowledgeable and helpful even after finishing with them, as well as still regularly email me with the new postings around the industry to help be among the first to apply.
Thanks so much! Really appreciate the advice. Any chance do you have any suggestions on books I should get prior to enrolling? I'd like to have a decent knowledge base before starting - I've noticed a lot of people recommend in doing so. I saw a book on Amazon; FAA Airman Knowledge Test Guide and Sample Questions - Aircraft Dispatcher (ADX). Not sure if that's a good start...

I went to Sheffield, also happy I did. If you do the remote learning option there, you need to be disciplined and cannot be a procrastinator. I highly recommend anyone interested in DX to start by studying for the written, Sheppard Air is great to study. Any of the school options will be less stressful and easier to keep up with if you've knocked the written out ahead of time. Good luck and have fun!!

I went to Sheffield, also happy I did. If you do the remote learning option there, you need to be disciplined and cannot be a procrastinator. I highly recommend anyone interested in DX to start by studying for the written, Sheppard Air is great to study. Any of the school options will be less stressful and easier to keep up with if you've knocked the written out ahead of time. Good luck and have fun!!
Awesome, thank you! Looking forward to it!

IFOD worked just fine for me. Keep an eye out for Envoy or Ameriflight if you are wanting to get a dispatch gig in the DFW area. Envoy would be your best bet right out of school.

I went to Sheffield and am thankful I did. However, I do strongly feel Sheffield is more for those with at least some aviation background/knowledge just because of how intense it can be. Eric and Brett will prepare you, they will give you all the right stuff, and I would never change my firehose drinking experience with them, but I know people who went to other schools, like IFOD, Jeppesen, and Flamingo, and they were still hired and trained by their companies. I just know from sitting in class with some of those graduates that Sheffield trained me as if they knew what my future company was going to ask of me. Down to the last questions of my comp check. I feel Sheffield really prepares you to be a dispatcher, not to just pass the test for the license.

The owner of ADTC in Dallas was my instructor at IFOD when I got my ticket. I'd highly recommend them and I'd go as far as saying they are just as good as any of the "top 3" people usually list.

If you are looking for a school, the first thing I would do is look for one some place you have room and board as this can get costly over the course of a class. Whether that mean a school close to you or one that is close to a friend that has a couch you can crash on, go for it. I personally slept on an air mattress on the floor of my friend's apartment. Next, while the "Big 3" are good, look into ones that go at the rate you are comfortable at and maybe have smaller classes where the instructors can really hit on what each person needs. I went to a school just outside of Atlanta that had 4 people in the class and took 8 weeks to complete. Because it was 8 weeks, it wasn't nearly as much as a fire hose as some places because we did maybe 6 hours a day. They knew it was a lot of material and people tend to shut down after a while, and only having 4 people meant that they were able to take each person one at a time.

Different people study different ways and it is best to find a school that not only suits you, but one where you can give yourself the best opportunity to succeed.

I took the 5 week course at sheffield and spent between 12-14hrs a day between class and studying and this was my weekend schedule as well. Do they push you? hell yes! but they were always available to help after class if something wasn't sticking and damn did it feel good to get the call from the airline I had my sights set on before I even finished the course. The course kicked my ass but that in turn allowed me to kick ass in my interview. I found the level of instruction to be top notch but you HAVE to be disciplined and want to be there. Overall I am thrilled that I chose sheffield. Wherever you go if you give it 100% it will reward you, main thing is to want to be there. Good luck!

Lol it doesn’t matter what school you go to. I’ve work with dispatchers from all the “top schools” some are good, some are not so good. Doesn’t matter what school you go to applying to regionals. My opinion is when you apply to major ( lots of majors like to hire from SKW). Majors will hire from other regionals. ( but I’ve notice their resume is more polished , having degrees , pilot license or being supervisors etc..)

Me and whoswho dont agree on much but this I can agree on. Just get your license at any school doesn't really matter which one. They all teach the material needed to get the license.

This topic again. Just get your license, school doesn't really matter. No one has ever asked where I went. Can this be any simpler?
There’s really no need for a response like this and I don’t appreciate it. A forum is for topics all and any, whether they’ve been spoken on before or not. Please leave your negativity and ignorance off people’s posts. If you don’t like reading about it, why are you taking the time to comment on it? Happy new year, I hope you have a blessed one!

Co
Me and whoswho dont agree on much but this I can agree on. Just get your license at any school doesn't really matter which one. They all teach the material needed to get the license.
Considering his tag line is, “don’t hesitate, penetrate” I won’t be taking his advice very seriously. I appreciate your input, but it’s clear there are very different opinions on this topic which is why I wanted to ask for myself and get to a comfortable decision. Thank you :)

Isn't this topic thoroughly covered in the new dispatcher FAQ? You know... The one at the top of the page. Don't be one of those dispatchers who asks questions before they dig through the manuals.
Coming from someone with “don’t hesitate, penetrate”
Lol it doesn’t matter what school you go to. I’ve work with dispatchers from all the “top schools” some are good, some are not so good. Doesn’t matter what school you go to applying to regionals. My opinion is when you apply to major ( lots of majors like to hire from SKW). Majors will hire from other regionals. ( but I’ve notice their resume is more polished , having degrees , pilot license or being supervisors etc..)
thanks for the input! I just see a lot of different opinions and wanted to ask for myself.

Back