Become a pilot.How cool!!

marcoborghi

I started flying 4yrs ago,got all my ratings,became a CFI,and started accumalating my precious hours.1200 hrs for part 135,hey a cargo job!! Oops, the dreadfull 9/11 arrived.No jobs,and if there were, an unemployed airline pilot was filling out paper work.My 1200 vs his 3000+ with turbine P.I.C. No flying for me. A yes the famous corporate flying world, so, teach a few more " touch and go's ",and now the 2000 hrs level has been reached!! Quess what,retired airline captains,and laid-off airline pilots filling out paper work!! Same story,no work,and now waiting tables to make a living!!
What about flying for Mark Cuban, ( Dallas Mavericks), in his brand new G-5? Sorry bud, its the same old story again," It's WHO you know, not WHAT you know."
If anybody wishess to change careers and wants to be a pilot, this is the story!!!

Thanks for for insight. Do I still want to be a pilot for a living? Let me rethink that for a minute...

HELL YES!!!

Hmmm....

Thanks for the encouragment....

You must be one of those people that didn't read the disclaimer about getting into the "airplane" business and getting rich...

If I had to guess...You are probably one of those people that my old instructor told me about..."people in this industry like to bitch about everything, just stay away from them, work hard, keep an optimistic outlook, and you will do just fine"

Besides..."I fly for free, I get paid for all the BS that goes along with it"

Have a great day...and good luck job hunting.
smile.gif

With all due respect - Sorry it has not worked out for you.

However, I know pilots with a LOT less hours than you who ARE getting hired. (my IR instructor had exaclty 1200TT with about 150 ME = hired by AirNet. Another instructor with around 1800 TT = hired by ASA. Another instructor with less than 1000TT - no MEI and about 30 hrs ME - hired to fly charter in Nantuckett for a private charter.) So, it IS being done.

Perhaps you are not looking in the right places.

Best of luck though. Hope you find something. If not.... well, don't know what to say.

R2F

Honestly, guys, people say the same stuff about every field.

Check out slashdot.org (site for computer geek types) if you don't believe me, it almost parrots this board as far as job pessimism. Management and HR "suck" in just about every job, its just the way it is.

When I was in grad school, all the PhD students said the same things about finding a good faculty job. When I worked at best buy in high school, career folks said the same things about working there.

It hard to get a good job and make good money, thats why most people struggle financially and work jobs they hate, it isn't just limited to aviation. Just learn to appreciate the small things. Attitude is everything I think - if you're fired up about what you do, you will get discovered and given the right job, if not nobody will really want to work with you.

R2F you may be right on - for you.

MAPD was a good choice for me. I was fortunately able to invest the cash necessary, and I have paid back all my loans within three years of finishing school.

It helps to start off in good financial position.

GF - I agree wholeheartedly with being as financially secure as possible. That's one BIG reason why I am working full time and going the "slow" FBO route.
wink.gif

But, I'm not sure how this:
[ QUOTE ]
R2F you may be right on - for you.

MAPD was a good choice for me. I was fortunately able to invest the cash necessary, and I have paid back all my loans within three years of finishing school.

It helps to start off in good financial position.

[/ QUOTE ]

... has to do with this:

[ QUOTE ]
With all due respect - Sorry it has not worked out for you.

However, I know pilots with a LOT less hours than you who ARE getting hired. (my IR instructor had exaclty 1200TT with about 150 ME = hired by AirNet. Another instructor with around 1800 TT = hired by ASA. Another instructor with less than 1000TT - no MEI and about 30 hrs ME - hired to fly charter in Nantuckett for a private charter.) So, it IS being done.

Perhaps you are not looking in the right places.

Best of luck though. Hope you find something. If not.... well, don't know what to say.

R2F

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
wink.gif

Back