Bay Area FBOs and/or Flight Clubs

Revolutionist

Does anyone have any recommendations for aircraft rentals in the Bay Area? I'm looking to get checked out in a plane. The following would be best: 1) Newer Airplanes; 2) Minimal Checkout Times.

Thanks!

Trust me, I have done A LOT of research on this, and have come to the conclusion that the West Valley Flying Club is the best thing we have in the bay. Out here theres no such thing as "newer planes" and "minimal checkout times". Its one or the other. Diamond Aviation at SQL where I fly has a brand new fleet, oldest plane is 2003. However, the checkouts are a pain in the ass for people who have never received instruction there. WVFC on the other hand, has older planes, but lots of them and usually for the best price in the area. Plus check outs are minimal there.

http://www.wvfc.org/?gclid=COLv0Jn8tZsCFRYiagodOlSxBQ

They do have some newer aircraft at WVFC, and they're still cheaper than the other schools since their membership fee isn't anything like that of other places around here. Hell, my school is $500 to join and $150/month there after just to save $10/hour.

I do NOT recommend WVFC. They have insane checkout rules and if you are interested in flying aerobatics the stipulations they put on their Extra 300 is just ridiculous.

I have been flying, and still fly at Attitude Aviation in Livermore. Check them out at attitudeaviation.com. They have everything you need, good prices and Hangar some of the only aircraft in the country you can checkout and rent solo, that includes two Marchetti SF260's, T-6, Pitts S2c, Great Lakes, and a Waco. Of course they have the normal flavors of aircraft as well.

Which type of aircraft are you looking to fly?

Look at Shoreline Flying Club at the Palo Alto airport. No dues and no joining fees there. The planes are in good condition and they now have a diverse fleet. They have a Cessna 120, 150, 152 a couple of 172s and a 172SP. They have a 177 and a 182, a couple of Mooneys and a Travel Air. Rentals during the week and at night are at a discounted price. Right now the lobby of the club is under construction but that hasnt affected the quality of rentals.

http://www.shorelineflyingclub.com

I am happy with my experience so far at WVFC. Membership in the club gives you access to insurance and the dues are similar to what you should be paying for a renter's policy.

Where in the bay area? WVFC is the largest, by far, with multiple locations. In the east bay California Airways at Hayward is pretty good. At Reid Hillview/south bay, depends on what you want, but most planes at that airport are older. PAO (Palo Alto) would be the place to start if you are close. Visit WVFC and Shoreline as mentioned. There are others, but those are across the ramp from each other. WVFC gives more options on the planes, and has a 'nicer' office with sims, and the support of a large large club. Advantage Aviation also has a large choice of planes at PAO like WVFC does.

Whatever you narrow your choice down to, make sure to see the log books for the planes you plan on flying before paying club dues.

I do NOT recommend WVFC. They have insane checkout rules and if you are interested in flying aerobatics the stipulations they put on their Extra 300 is just ridiculous.

I have been flying, and still fly at Attitude Aviation in Livermore. Check them out at attitudeaviation.com. They have everything you need, good prices and Hangar some of the only aircraft in the country you can checkout and rent solo, that includes two Marchetti SF260's, T-6, Pitts S2c, Great Lakes, and a Waco. Of course they have the normal flavors of aircraft as well.

Which type of aircraft are you looking to fly?
Thats sounds pretty awesome, but LVK is quite a drive from here. Maybe the drive could be worth it for a Waco checkout someday.

You can probably narrow the area down a little bit. There are plenty of places to fly in the Bay Area. If you are looking at San Carlos or Palo Alto, I would recommend:

Diamond Aviation
All new airplanes (within the past 7 years) with a nice mix of 172sp's, G-1000 equipped 172's, a 182, Diamond Star, and I believe a few Cirrus's. Well maintained fleet. The owner (UJ) is a great guy. If you are current with the FAA, you are current with them (after the original simple checkout).

Places that I would not fly at:

Bel Air at SQL. The owner is like a used car salesman. Very pushy and I never felt like I could trust him. I have heard all kinds of stories about people getting ripped off by this guy. Ask ANY flight school in the area and they have students who started off at Bel Air and eventually switched to their school. That should tell you something.

If you are trying to decide between some specific schools, just let us know and we can try and help you out.

You can probably narrow the area down a little bit. There are plenty of places to fly in the Bay Area. If you are looking at San Carlos or Palo Alto, I would recommend:

Diamond Aviation
All new airplanes (within the past 7 years) with a nice mix of 172sp's, G-1000 equipped 172's, a 182, Diamond Star, and I believe a few Cirrus's. Well maintained fleet. The owner (UJ) is a great guy. If you are current with the FAA, you are current with them (after the original simple checkout).

Places that I would not fly at:

Bel Air at SQL. The owner is like a used car salesman. Very pushy and I never felt like I could trust him. I have heard all kinds of stories about people getting ripped off by this guy. Ask ANY flight school in the area and they have students who started off at Bel Air and eventually switched to their school. That should tell you something.

If you are trying to decide between some specific schools, just let us know and we can try and help you out.

couldn't say it better myself...

also on the other side of the bay try Aclan Pro Air...

This is a great thread. I have often gone to the bay area and wanted to take friends/family flying but didn't have a clue so thought the long flight from socal would be the only option. Thanks to the OP and all the replies.

Do any of the clubs/FBO's demand you stay in the area? I'd like to fly to Orland/Chico to pick up some family there too. TIA

The clubs I know of don't care, but if you're keeping it more than 24 hours there are usually fees and it needs to be pre-arranged.

The Travis Aero Club just asks that you put at least 2 hours per 24 hour period.
so if you had it for three days and flew it three ours somewhere on day one let it sit day 2 and three hours home day 3 that would be good
but they are easy to work with and usually will let that stuff side if you just let them know ...

if you need to have the new plane thing, then airports on the west side of the bay, SQL, PAO are going to have your newest. There is Sterling Aviation in CCR they have only Cirrus that I know of. But if cost is your thing you can't beat Aclan Pro Air in HWD.

I still say Travis Aero Club they are a club that really isn't out to make a huge profit just enough to operate ...

and they have a
6XT, 3 Archer III's all glass and all the other aircraft TOTALLY restored. Their T-41C 210hp Cessna with climb prop (Air Force Academy high alt. trainer does 1500FPM easy) is about to get a 430 WAAS :rawk:...
oh yeah they also allow you to take their aircraft to the dirt...

Back