Basin Electric - Bismarck, ND - "Student Intern Pilot"

exneophyte

No inside information. The whole student intern pilot thing rubs me wrong, but I figured I'd post it anyway in case someone wants it. If it's a bad opportunity, please don't shoot the messenger.
==========================================================================

Student Intern - Pilot (Job ID: 67)
Position Title:
Student Intern - Pilot

Department/Location: Communications and Administration/ Bismarck, ND
Company: Basin Electric Power Cooperative

Position Purpose:

This is a temporary position that will be required to fly as second-in-command (SIC) in either of the two Cessna Citation Model 560 (Encores). The incumbent will go with the Chief Pilot to Citation recurrent Flight Safety training in the August-September period (all expenses paid by Basin Electric).

Qualifications:

To perform effectively in this position, the incumbent must be at least 18 years of age and have completed a four-year Aviation degree within the last 24 months; or will be graduating with a four-year Aviation degree prior to beginning employment. A minimum of a 2.5 grade point average (GPA) is required. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Commercial Pilot certificate with airplane single engine rating, airplane multi engine rating, and instrument airplane rating, along with an FAA First or Second Medical certificate are also required. FAA Flight Instruction certification, Canadair Regional Jet (CRJ) course, and AV 309 Altitude Chamber course are preferred. In addition, 300 total hours of flight time, and 50 hours of multi-engine flight time are desired. The incumbent must be proficient with personal computers. This position will travel approximately 60% of the time by plane.

Typical Physical/Mental/Environmental Demands:

This position requires continuous use of keyboard/computer; frequent sitting, standing, walking, and use of foot controls; and occasional bending, climbing, kneeling, reaching, crawling, pushing/pulling up to 150 pounds, lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds, and turning valves. Hand and power tools for aircraft maintenance are frequently used. This position requires finger dexterity, the ability to perform close work, good color vision/hearing, and the ability to speak. This position also requires the ability to analyze data/reports, conduct research, and implement recommendations. The incumbent must be able to develop plans, procedures, and goals; present information to others; work under stress; and make decisions under constraints and during critical events. This position frequently works in noisy conditions flying at an altitude of 45,000 feet. Approximately 2/3 of the incumbent's time is spent flying an aircraft.

Applicants interested in this opening should go to www.basinelectric.com to apply. If you have any questions, please contact Vickie Volk at 701-557-5402.

Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.

It's a part 91 gig in what amounts to a single pilot airplane as I understood it. For a paid type rating it doesn't sound like a bad gig for someone starting out.

It's a part 91 gig in what amounts to a single pilot airplane as I understood it. For a paid type rating it doesn't sound like a bad gig for someone starting out.

Eh. There's a lot of vague language that says to me, "be our multi-purpose bitch, and tolerate it because you get to fly sometimes."

Let's start with the use of the term "incumbent" - which contravenes the phrasing "temporary position" to start with. If you call it Intern in the title, continue to do so.

There is nothing about pay in the ad. Nothing. "Intern?" That's a BS word that means the same thing as "Integrated" and "Hybrid" in the IT world. Does it pay AT ALL? Are you occupying the seat for free just to lower the insurance premium? Is that your value?

Doesn't seem legit to me.

I dunno... sounds like it was written to catch a UND kid and likely had to be publish externally for employment law reasons.

For those considering: the Federal court system has ruled that unpaid internships are illegal.

I dunno... sounds like it was written to catch a UND kid and likely had to be publish externally for employment law reasons.

For those considering: the Federal court system has ruled that unpaid internships are illegal.

correct in that it was meant to catch UND kids. Incorrect in that an internship can still be unpaid as long as the intern is free to turn down work, although I'm not sure if they are in this case.

Back