Barry Wilkinson, Delta Pilot

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Barry Wilkinson passed away from a heart attack this morning.

I met Barry when I was jumpseating on a MD-11 from MCO to LAX when I was a pilot at Skyway Airlines. He talked to me about applying for Delta and made sure I had his card and told me to call him next time I was in MCO, where he was based at the time, or to give him a ring whenever I was in California, where he commuted from for a period of time.

I still remember looking at him sideways when he suggested that I apply because the conventional wisdom was that a civilian need not bother applying for Delta and he assured me that it wasn't the case. But we seriously spent hours and hours talking flying in first class, (when first class WAS first class) and I knew that if he was indicative of the people I would be working with, I need to get busy and apply.

We kept in touch, off and on, over the years and I'd occasionally run into him at the training department and I would make sure that I took a little time, say hi and again thank him for the guidance and encouragement to a "lowly" Beech 1900 FO working for a virtually unknown carrier in the middle of the frozen tundra.

Thanks bro. I appreciate the guidance, encouragement and support — I'll keep paying it forward because YOU paid it forward to me.

I never knew this guy but I thank him for showing others that as pilots we are all a huge family, and we should do what families do.

Back