Banner Tow

solleyja

Im looking at time building jobs, does anyone know anything about either Barnstormers aerial advertising in Myrtle Beach, or United Aerial Advertising in New Jersy?

I spent two years towing in south NJ. Its fun at first, but by the end of the summer, its just downright boring. I've never heard of United Aerial Advertising but it looks like they fly out of the Asbury Park area. You should find out what they tow with. The PA-18 and modified J3 are the best towplanes. The Pawnees are good also. There is one company in NJ that towed with a C-172. That's one plane I would stay away from when towing.

There used to be two banner companies in Mrytle Beach, but one had 3 accidents last year and turned in their certificate. The one that quit was Sky Signs. http://www.scnow.com/scp/news/local...y_plane_company_gives_up_banner_towing/12113/. Do some research because the NTSB database shows Barnstormers Flite Signs as having a couple of accidents also.

I have about 800 hrs towing so PM me if you'd like more info.

You should find out what they tow with. The PA-18 and modified J3 are the best towplanes. The Pawnees are good also. There is one company in NJ that towed with a C-172. That's one plane I would stay away from when towing.

I have about 800 hrs towing so PM me if you'd like more info.

May I ask why 172's are bad for towing?
It looks like all operators ask for at least 100 - 150 hours of TW time for PA18 & way more for Pawnees and then they want some big bucks for the "training"...?

Do tow companies have pilots who fly weekends only? I do not want to quit my fulltime job but flying on weekends would be fun.

That's what I do Matt.

I would look at the NTSB report first before judging the company. Most accidents are during the banner pick up. I know of two in my general area and they were the fault of the pilot, not doing what they were supposed to, not due to faulty maintenance.

Towing banners is a lot of fun. But like anything, it's what you make of it.

I spent two years towing in south NJ. Its fun at first, but by the end of the summer, its just downright boring. I've never heard of United Aerial Advertising but it looks like they fly out of the Asbury Park area. You should find out what they tow with. The PA-18 and modified J3 are the best towplanes. The Pawnees are good also. There is one company in NJ that towed with a C-172. That's one plane I would stay away from when towing.

Nothing wrong with a 180 horse 172 for towing.

Back