BAE 146 at Washington Dulles??

Mahesh

Hey guys,

Recently, I saw what looked like a BAE 146 landing at Washington Dulles. Then when I was going on a trip, I saw one taxiing. I couldn't see the markings on it.
I can't imagine what else it could be. It is not that big, high wing and 4 engines.
Do you know if any regionals use this aricraft in the US? I thought they were quite old and were getting phased out even in Europe.

Mahesh

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know if any regionals use this aricraft in the US? I thought they were quite old and were getting phased out even in Europe.

Mahesh

[/ QUOTE ]

Jumpseated on Air Wisconsin's BAe-146s a couple of times a few years back.

Thanks for the reply Mike!

I will investigate and see if it was Air Wisconsin. I can't imagine that they would be flying to DC though.

Mahesh

One of the Northwest Airlink regionals(Mesaba I believe) flies the Avro Jet which, from the way I understand it, is the updated version of the Bae146. It's the same airfram I believe.

Jason

The BAe 146s at IAD belong to Air Whiskey (Wisconsin). They picked up a lot of the trips to RDU, apparently because of our shortage of jets.

They also fly CRJs from IAD to ATL. This is because we have a no-compete clause in our contract with DAL (I've heard).

I have been on one and it reminds me of the London underground. It feels very narrow (but was not nearly as dirty). I have to give the 146s credit they had room to hang my tux, when I flew LAX-LHR on the AA777 the FA said that they did not have a closet.

[ QUOTE ]
I see them all the time here at MSP. Mesaba flies them for NWA.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Avro85 which Mesaba flies is an update of the BAe 146.

Due to a scope clause (or should I say Claus
wink.gif
) in the NW pilot contract, the XJ Avros are limited to 69 seats (including 16 first class) and is the roomiest plane with the best ratio of first/coach in the domestic fleet and highly sought after by frequent NW travelers. Thank you NW pilots! I just wish XJ had more (which is also limited by that scope clause)!

oh, and I forgot to mention...the plane you saw was most likely an Air Wisc. bird painted in UA express colors. I don't think NW has 'em going to IAD right now (but one out of MEM would be a great idea.)

I concur that the Avro is by far the most comfortable RJ - jumpseated several times on them. Sat in first class every time. Only complaint is that the visibility from some of the first class seats is somewhat limited by the engines.

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
I thought they were quite old and were getting phased out even in Europe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hum well QantasLink uses them a fair bit here, that and Dash-8s, pilots typicaly refer to the engines on those things a hair dryers because of their low thrust, but really who's idea was it to put 4 jet engines on a regional aircraft anyhow?
tongue.gif

Thanks for all the responses gentlemen! Next time I see one, I will be sure to look out for United Express colors.

I wasn't aware that the 146 had an updated version.

It really is strange to see 4 engines on a plane not so big. But it is nice to be able to see a plane which I have only seen pictures of.

Mahesh

Back