Bad vibrations

viper548

I showed up at the airport this morning and while my student was pre-flighting I was talking to another instructor. He said the plane we were taking (c-172) did some "off roading" last night. A student pilot on a solo x/c somehow let the right wheel go off the taxiway into the mud. That caused the gear to stick and pulled the airplane to the right getting the nosewheel in the mud as well. I didn't get the story on how they got it out, but they washed it off and flew it back, no problems. After hearing that I did a really close inspection of the wheels and struts. I didn't see anything wrong so I decided to go on the flight. When my student landed we felt a strong vibration on the roll out. It felt like the vibrating came from the tail of the plane and felt similar to a plane that needs a new nosewheel dampner. Anyone think that maybe the strut bent going into the mud? I don't know what they did to get it out of the mud. I looked at the struts and wheels again after we landed and didn't see anything wrong.

Sounds like something you might have to squawk to maintenance to check out. The only reason I say this is because often times I have found out that the story will not sound so bad coming from the guy involved in the incident. Im not saying you have to tell anyone that they went muddin' the flight before you, just tell maintenance that you noticed a bad virbration. I personally dont think I would want to say anything to anyone about the whole thing/rat him out, but at the same time, I sure as hell wouldnt take the heat for it.

I'd just go with the facts you know. Tell them that when you landed the plane, you noticed some vibrations and that when you checked out the plane and didn't see anything wrong.

You don't know the specifics of what happened when that plane went into the mud so I'd be very cautious of even hinting that someone else may have done something to screw up the plane.

Get mx to look at it. Mud can get stuck in various places inside the airframe and throw it out of balance, which would certainly cause vibration like you experienced.

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
. Anyone think that maybe the strut bent going into the mud? I don't know what they did to get it out of the mud. I looked at the struts and wheels again after we landed and didn't see anything wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look in the POH it will tell ya how to level the plane. Use the leveling screws and you can see if something is bent even if it isn't visibly bent. <--Does that make sense
smile.gif

Back