Bad news for PHX...

Less chopperazzi? Who's going to hover over the Waffle House on Grand Avenue during the next military action as Rick D'Amico interviews patrons at 0300 about their perspectives? :)

Less chopperazzi? Who's going to hover over the Waffle House on Grand Avenue during the next military action as Rick D'Amico interviews patrons at 0300 about their perspectives? :)

Where was that they were interviewing the truck driver at 0300 during the start of Desert Storm? I'd forgotten about that, LOL!!! :D

"Good Morning Arizona we have breaking news from Chopper 3, let's go to Bruce in Chopper 3.

Bruce what do you see?

Well Olivia we have rain clouds rolling into the valley. We're up here by the McDowells just northeast of scottsdale airport and they are clearly coming over the mountain and making their way into the valley.

Let's go to April in the AZHD Weather center for more..."

"Good Morning Arizona we have breaking news from Chopper 3, let's go to Bruce in Chopper 3.

Bruce what do you see?

Well Olivia we have rain clouds rolling into the valley. We're up here by the McDowells just northeast of scottsdale airport and they are clearly coming over the mountain and making their way into the valley.

Let's go to April in the AZHD Weather center for more..."

Back in my day growing up there it was all Jerry Foster, Karen Key, and Elroy "Buzz" Towers in the PHX helos..

The news is useless here. I have never seen so much news that really isn't news but time filler. They use the helicopters to cover stuff like that so maybe there will be less of it?

It is hitting the news guys hard. The 206 in Scranton is being sold. I guess no more live ariel coverage of the jack knifed manure spreader in Hop Bottom, PA. I am curious what the market will be like when I get back from India.
Shane

No offense to the poor souls that died, but maybe less aircraft "maneuvering for a shot" over the PHX metro area will keep helicopter wreckage out of Indian Steele Park.

Personally, I think one helicopter being utilized by several news companies might just make the skies a little safer. Not to insult the professionalism of the helo crews out there, but each time you have several aircraft rushing to get the best shot of a breaking news story you're asking for a collision. Craig Smith and Scott Bowerbank had been in the business for a while. They knew how to avoid each other in these situations and they still collided.

As in N826AW's example, they really didn't point out much more than the obvious and get some great sunrise/sunset and weather shots while waiting for the "high-speed pursuit" or "hostage situation" calls on the police band........

...........of course, I'm probably jaded since I'm not the owner or the pilot of the news chopper!

MikeD, go back to your KTAR C-172 and get some more traffic reports! He he he he he!!!

No offense to the poor souls that died, but maybe less aircraft "maneuvering for a shot" over the PHX metro area will keep helicopter wreckage out of Indian Steele Park.

Things sure have changed since Jerry Foster was in Sky12s Hughes 500 pulling off chases and rescues (MCSO used him alot); and the first female helo TV station pilot, Karen Key, was flying for KOOL-10 in their (then) new 206L Long Ranger.

MikeD, go back to your KTAR C-172 and get some more traffic reports! He he he he he!!!

Don't make me tell you the story of the guy that hung himself from the stack freeway in downtown PHX one early morning.......and what it got us.

Things sure have changed since Jerry Foster was in Sky12s Hughes 500 pulling off chases and rescues (MCSO used him alot); and the first female helo TV station pilot, Karen Key, was flying for KOOL-10 in their (then) new 206L Long Ranger.

Those were the days. (cue Archie and Edith Bunker) But now you've got PPD, LifeFlight, MPD, plus what...3 different station's helos all crammed into or under the Class B airspace? I'm sure I'm missing someone. Fact is, Phoenix isn't the sleepy desert town you and I grew up in MikeD. The upside to this is that you and me should take out a loan and buy an EC135 and become the contract news crew for the whole f-in state! We can't lose!

Don't make me tell you the story of the guy that hung himself from the stack freeway in downtown PHX one early morning.......and what it got us.
:yup:
Besides...we already know not to shoot footage of the morning commute bridge fisherman! Whaddya say?

Back