Bad move by an AA pilot

Okay, but what if the pilot had been Muslin and asked the non-Muslims to talk to Islamics?

Why do I see this thread winding up in Squawk Box in about 24 hours?

I wouldn't object to that. I own a copy of the Quran, the Tora and Book of Mormon. I'd talk to anyone about their religon. I don't find believers offensive.

Yeah, I'm the same way, but I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I don't mind believers in any faith, as long as the aren't pushy about it. I think it was the 'talk to them about their faith' thing that sat a little wrong with me.

I agree, it's out of line. If I'm paying for travel, I don't want to be bothered with such (IMHO) crap.

I don't have any problem with believers, either. What I do take issue with is the missionary intent of his statement. I'm happy to talk to people about their beliefs and ideas, but for goodness sake, don't try to convert me.

Right or wrong, the AA captain is going to be looking for another job soon.

You do have a degree of leeway when it comes to interacting with passengers, but you've really got to use your judgement.

You never really know who you're talking to in the back of the aircraft so presume PA's concerning religion are something to be avoided no matter what you personal beliefs are.

If you think a PA has a .00000000000001% chance of spawning a negative letter or undue media attention, don't key the mike.

The other issue is the fact that the pilot encourages people to talk to the people around them.

When I fly, I want the guy next to me to shut up so I can get some rest.

Oh, and that goes for the pilot as well. After we take off, I don't want to hear the pilot again unless 1) there's something wrong or 2) we're getting ready to land.

And if you are a pilot, the passengers are not a captive audience for your sermon, your stand-up comedy act, or your audition for American Idol...

[ QUOTE ]

Oh, and that goes for the pilot as well. After we take off, I don't want to hear the pilot again unless 1) there's something wrong or 2) we're getting ready to land.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. The last thing I want to hear is about some monument we're passing by. I really don't care. And the worst thing I hate are people that make PAs just because they need to talk. Kind of like the pilots on the ATC radio with zero radio discipline/professionalism.

[ QUOTE ]

And if you are a pilot, the passengers are not a captive audience for your sermon, your stand-up comedy act, or your audition for American Idol...

[/ QUOTE ]

Southwest?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. The last thing I want to hear is about some monument we're passing by. I really don't care. And the worst thing I hate are people that make PAs just because they need to talk. Kind of like the pilots on the ATC radio with zero radio discipline/professionalism.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Southwest?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, now come on Mike D...if you flew for the only airline turning a profit, you'd want to tell the world too!!!

I agree that this is out of line. Great for him, but religion, politics and sexual orientation are something that you don't share with people that you don't already have a relationship with. Especially on the PA. "Hi, this is your captain speaking, I'm a Libra, republican, gay, satan worshiper, let's all sing show tunes together!!!"
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
. . .let's all sing show tunes together!!!"
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What's up with everybody hatin' on the showtunes guys??
tongue.gif

I guess in the realm of PA's, less is more; More is obnoxious!

Anything that you wouldn't during an interview, you surely shouldn't say over the PA.

People pay for a safe, comfortable ride from point A to point B.

Some people want to be left alone (I fall in this category), some people feel claustrophobic and would like to occasionally know where they area, and others are heading out to vacation/coming home from and might want to know the weather.

So if it doesn't involve flight time, weather, route or delays or a mega high-profile playoff-style sports score, put the mic down!

BTW, when the girls sing songs on the SWA flights, it's annoying as heck!

"BTW, when the girls sing songs on the SWA flights, it's annoying as heck!"

SWA is definately one airline I would not ride if I was worrying about a head ache..

Imagine 3 hours of annoying F/A loudness with a pounding headache. Make it stop!
cool.gif

I really like talking to the people around me, but too many PA announcements especially on a late flight is just the worst!!!!

Back