Bad Flight Instructor?

He's an idiot, I would've told him to land the plane and refused to pay and never looked back.

Showing up late without explanation should have been the first and final straw.

This. I can handle a few minutes buy anything past 10 min, you're on my time and my time is valuable to me, so you had better have a good reason. I manage two interns and explained to them on day one how I am with punctuality. They are on time everyday...with some sort of breakfast treat. :D

You should provide your feedback to the school so this does not happen to other students. Find a new CFI and just go flying for fun. Once you start getting used to the cockpit then you can start pressing on the pedal.

Wow. That's extremely unprofessional! Did he even do an hour of ground with you? I'm sorry you had such a crap experience. Go find someone worth what you're paying them.

Jim Levy

You should go have a conversation with the chief pilot (or whoever is in charge) about this "instructor". If this is the way he is conducting himself, the flight school needs to know so they can do something about it. If school shows disinterest in your concern, go find a new place to rent.

I'm defiantly not a whistle blower. For example, I wouldn't go as far as to report him to the FAA, unless he did something REALLY unsafe. His attitude would be a determining factor in that case The flight school has a business to run and they need feedback. Even if he got fired, that could possibly straighten him out in the long run if he's a young CFI with maturity issues. Getting let go might be the wake up call he needs to straighten up and fly right, while the FAA will just scar him for life. No one needs that early in their career.

Jim Levy
First welcome to JC.

Now for my response: Wow...just wow.

Depending on what part of the country you reside in, you most likely will find a CFI right here on JC that is close and more than willing to fly with you. I want to see you back flying AND having fun doing it.

During this phase he said numerous times that he was doing things that he recommended I don't do myself but he was trying to save me time/cost. Examples: a rolling run up and staying in ground effect during a landing to avoid the extended taxing by landing further down the runway.

A rolling run up isn't necessarily a bad thing, I am sure you know how to do one, and I personally would appreciate not paying $50 to burn gas and not move. The bigger question is why was he flying at all during a Flight Review?

If I touch the controls at all, that's usually a sign that things aren't going so well.

And to be fair, pilots that are uncomfortable with bank/slow flight/stalls are exactly the ones I am apprehensive about signing off. Not hearing anything that sounds unsafe really.

Being late would tick me off, but it happens to everyone occasionally . And if you don't get a good vibe, find someone else.

Rolling runups are pretty stupid, in general. Especially for a guy who hasn't been in an airplane for a decade. That .1 you are saving isn't really worth it.

Why exactly?

In the PA-25 I fly, I don't like to do static runups period- powerful and light aircraft like that don't have enough braking in many cases.

Not a normal thing to do necessarily, but sometimes appropriate too.

Why exactly?

Rolling runups are pretty stupid, in virtually all light training aircraft. Especially for a guy who hasn't been in an airplane for a decade. That .1 you are saving isn't really worth it.

I'll modify mojo's post to answer your question.

Like everything in aviation, there is an appropriate time and place for a rolling runup. But, basic flight instruction isn't it.

TAfter that statement he took controls of the plane and without warning pulled the yolk all the way back and then slammed it all the way down. A severe climb and then a severe drop in attitude. The roller coaster effect was so violent the ashtrays, pieces of plastic and misc items in the plane flew up and hit the ceiling of the plane and landed everywhere. After that I began rather sick to my stomach and spent the rest of the flight just wanting to land and leave.

Sounds a lot like my CFI. He was without a doubt one of the biggest a-holes you have ever met. He would do a lot of that to me too. I am still absolutely terrified of heights. He would always say, "you're not with it today, lets wake you up. Cardinal heading, start climbing... BAM into a spin we go." He would always follow that with, "are we awake yet?" Finally one day I lost it and went off on him and just shy of threatened him, his dog, his neighbors, everything. From that day forward things changed because I took charge.

It's very easy to become intimidated by a CFI until you let them know you're the one in charge. Usually a swift throat chop usually does the trick. (actually, don't do that!)

+1. We don't need knuckleheads like this welcoming new pilots. We also don't need him building time so he can get to the carriers.

I have been wondering about this a lot lately. Why do so many jerks wind up in a mentor position in aviation? My first day at XOJET was an absolutely horrible experience. Only because the mentor captain that was meant to bring me up to speed was an outright jerk and constantly belittled me during 2 short legs from SJC - VNY - LAS.

It seems things never change. I'm sorry the OP had this experience. I wish I could say that it isn't typical of aviation. However I can proudly say it does not represent me.

Back