Backup of Logbook (legit for FAA)

ILSstud

Hey guys...so I have been looking around for any opinions on how to properly backup a logbook that is acceptable to the FAA. My general opinion that I seemed to get was the FAA only views the time from your last rating as legit. Am I wrong? Would a notarized copy of my logbook coupled with an electronic scan be adequate? Sorry for being paranoid, I just had a friend who got his car broken into (logbook stolen) and I just want to cover my bases :)

I personally use an electronic logbook as my backup (see below). If you are really paranoid you can always submit an 8710 to update your times with the FAA.

I believe the FAA or employer would have no problem accepting photo copies of your logbooks as long as they match up with your last 8710, if they cross reference to that point in time. I doubt they would.

what do you mean by "acceptable to the FAA"? A backup is a backup. The FAA is never going to see your logbook anyways (unless you try to defraud them).

What I meant was say my logbook is stolen or otherwise desroyed and all I have is a photocopy to verify my hours..can I say use that to apply for another rating (i.e. ATP) or use it for job purposes without it being notarized or something?

What I meant was say my logbook is stolen or otherwise desroyed and all I have is a photocopy to verify my hours..can I say use that to apply for another rating (i.e. ATP) or use it for job purposes without it being notarized or something?

Why would it need to be notarized? Is your regular logbook notarized? I doubt the FAA or any company would care if your flights were displayed in original pen, or photocopied ink. As long as you have the hours. Even if you were to just all out lose your logbook, you still have the hours. It just makes it hard to prove that you really do have the hours you claim to have, but you still have them.

Self-Certify.
If it's on a napkin, it's just as true.

====
"I flew 5 hours to LA and back in a C210 on the 3rd."
"The above statement is true."
x Slushie

Self-Certify.
If it's on a napkin, it's just as true.

====
"I flew 5 hours to LA and back in a C210 on the 3rd."
"The above statement is true."
x Slushie

LMAO...I used to fly with a captain that actually had his logbook on those little drink napkins and hotel notepads...

Back