Bachelor of General Studies with concentration in aviation

scramjet

I'm a junior and it's my last chance really to transfer. I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with my current degree and school, but I've been thinking "aviation degree" again on and off and I was curious if anyone knows of any Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) degrees with a concentration in aviation? A BGS would be my only means of graduating on time with any aviation coursework. Broadly, I'm considering such a degree for the sake of killing two birds with one stone and getting the chance to actually fly again. Two programs that I'm aware of and am researching are the University of Nebraska at Omaha's BGS in aviation and the Univ of LA at Monroe's BGS with aviation concentration. Are there any others? Just to note, this is NOT a question on the merits of an aviation education, I know both sides of the argument very well.

Thanks for any input!:)

Re: Bachelor of General Studies with concentration in aviati

Why dont you just get one in aviation?

I didnt even know there was such thing as a BGS. Is it like a liberal Arts degree?

I'm sticking with my aviation tech and then thinking about getting my masters in education.

getting 2 yr in flight aviation with bs in technology

Guys - I really like Math degrees. Versatile, can go many different directions for a masters, and there are enormous job opportunities in mathematics. A degree would be a nice thing to fall back on. Logically speaking, if you are in the aviation game you are going to want to be a pilot (if you are on JC). So...if things are good in the aviation biz, you will be flying. If things are bad in the aviation biz, you won't be...but then an aviation specific degree may not serve as a good back-up plan because the industry would be in the dumper (if you are having to resort to a back-up plan). Perhaps a degree in a field unrelated to aviation would serve you well.

My deal is motivation. If you like flying would you rather take flying classes or math classes? I enjoy aviation tech because I learn a lot about system, safety, and management. But lucky for me I enjoy teaching and flying, so that is why I want to get my masters in education.

So...if things are good in the aviation biz, you will be flying. If things are bad in the aviation biz, you won't be...but then an aviation specific degree may not serve as a good back-up plan because the industry would be in the dumper

I agree with this 100%. My back-up plan prior to 2001 was a dispatchers certificate. What didn't occur to me was that in large-scale furloughs industrywide, dispatchers would be impacted as well.

So I never did find a job dispatching during any of my furloughs.

I like the psychology program that I'm in now, but the internship coming up is not going to be that fun or convenient in terms of scheduling classes and such. Quite honestly, I don't see any backup work coming out of a BA in Applied Psych if I get laid off from the airlines/corporate outfit/name your other flight operation sector here.

blee256 said:
Why dont you just get one in aviation?

I didnt even know there was such thing as a BGS. Is it like a liberal Arts degree?
A Bachelor of General Studies is just that, a degree in general studies. But a lot of places have concentrations where you specialize for around 20-30 credits if you choose.

I'm a junior now coming up on my senior year, a full fledged aviation program would take too long to finish. I'm reaching the 90 credit cutoff (I'll have 92 at the end of this semester) point for transferring elsewhere- most colleges won't transfer any more than 90 credits and/or require at least 30 credits to be completed at their institution.

no offense, but sounds like a BS degree (no pun intended)

My deal is motivation. If you like flying would you rather take flying classes or math classes? I enjoy aviation tech because I learn a lot about system, safety, and management. But lucky for me I enjoy teaching and flying, so that is why I want to get my masters in education.

Do they teach about rudders in Aviation Tech?:laff:

Guys - I really like Math degrees. Versatile, can go many different directions for a masters, and there are enormous job opportunities in mathematics. A degree would be a nice thing to fall back on. Logically speaking, if you are in the aviation game you are going to want to be a pilot (if you are on JC). So...if things are good in the aviation biz, you will be flying. If things are bad in the aviation biz, you won't be...but then an aviation specific degree may not serve as a good back-up plan because the industry would be in the dumper (if you are having to resort to a back-up plan). Perhaps a degree in a field unrelated to aviation would serve you well.

If you have no prior work experience in the field that your degree is based on, how can you expect to be given any kind of decent job (besides something entry level, but then it's the same if you just go work at McDonald's)? If you get a degree in something non-aviation related and then get furloughed 10 years after you graduate, what's going to happen when you go to fall back on that degree? You're going to of forgotten just about everything you learned and you'll have no experience... who's going to want to hire you? Not only that, but your degree, if it's non-aviation related, will be most likely something that will be boring and make the process of getting a degree even more tiresome and painful (I said that because it helps prove my point. That statement was a generalization, I'm sure it's extremely easy for most of you to find a subject that is just as interesting, if not more interesting, to you than aviation is)

On the flip side, if you get a degree in aviation, you'll enjoy getting the degree (a generalization) and you'll more than likely get it done faster (most colleges give you college credits for your licenses if you're major is in aviation). Not only that, but if you do get furloughed and need something to fall back on, you'll have that piece of paper that proves to any possible employer that you have what it takes; the determination, drive, responsibility, etc. to get that degree. Most employers who require degrees only require just that--a degree. Nothing specific but just that piece of paper that proves you have the above mentioned characteristics.

Just my .02

I've been toying with the math degree idea for a while, but now I think I'm only going to get a math minor. Reason? At many many many many colleges (there are exceptions) the math program lacks skill in teaching. There are good schools, but so far what I've seen at my college in particular is people who are outstanding at doing mathematics, but piss poor at teaching it. BTW, don't plan on working and doing a math degree unless you like continuous sleep deprivation. I'm leaning towards ECON with a math minor, for a lot of the same reasons. Its versatile (everyone hires economists) you have a lot of options for gradschool (especially if you do a math minor, as you can do some really tricky econ with a math minor) and you'll never be bored if you're into politics or history. My $.02

-Pat

Not really. Most Masters programs are open to anyone who has a BS/BA. There are a few that restrict you based on your major, but not many. Besides, if you are out of aviation for a few years, how good is that degree going to be?

To me, an aviation degree is just as good as a music degree, a history degree, etc...

Math isn't really going to change on a dime, at least at the undergraduate level. It is an excellent basis for almost anything you would want to do. To address those that say "what kind of job will you be able to get after ten years..." - well, I guess the same or better as you would with a ten year old Aviation Tech degree, or Aviation Management, or whatever they have. At least the Math degree is more universal is my point. Mostly though, it is a really good basis for anything you would want to do.

I've always been the fan of a Business degree. It's respectable and something to fall back on.

All the business classes I've taken only talked about China.

I got a BGS and GTFO of ND and got a JOB.

YMMV.

If you have no prior work experience in the field that your degree is based on, how can you expect to be given any kind of decent job (besides something entry level, but then it's the same if you just go work at McDonald's)? If you get a degree in something non-aviation related and then get furloughed 10 years after you graduate, what's going to happen when you go to fall back on that degree? You're going to of forgotten just about everything you learned and you'll have no experience... who's going to want to hire you? Not only that, but your degree, if it's non-aviation related, will be most likely something that will be boring and make the process of getting a degree even more tiresome and painful (I said that because it helps prove my point. That statement was a generalization, I'm sure it's extremely easy for most of you to find a subject that is just as interesting, if not more interesting, to you than aviation is)

On the flip side, if you get a degree in aviation, you'll enjoy getting the degree (a generalization) and you'll more than likely get it done faster (most colleges give you college credits for your licenses if you're major is in aviation). Not only that, but if you do get furloughed and need something to fall back on, you'll have that piece of paper that proves to any possible employer that you have what it takes; the determination, drive, responsibility, etc. to get that degree. Most employers who require degrees only require just that--a degree. Nothing specific but just that piece of paper that proves you have the above mentioned characteristics.

Just my .02

I agree 100%

Math isn't really going to change on a dime, at least at the undergraduate level. It is an excellent basis for almost anything you would want to do. To address those that say "what kind of job will you be able to get after ten years..." - well, I guess the same or better as you would with a ten year old Aviation Tech degree, or Aviation Management, or whatever they have. At least the Math degree is more universal is my point. Mostly though, it is a really good basis for anything you would want to do.

I think you just proved C172's point. A 10 year old degree with no experience in that field doenst mean anything. So it might as well be in anything you want. Could be in underwater baskeweaving. And after 10 years I assure you, you wont remember how to do complex math. Math is definitely a "use it or lose it" subject.

Back