AVL Welcomes AirTran!

DeltaAVL

This is probably a little airliners.net-esque, but I was too excited to not share it with you guys - AVL is getting 3x weekly MCO service on the 717, signaling the first return of mainline metal since prior to 2001. Best news we've had at good ol' AVL in a while.

DL has tried to make a go of the MCO route with Freedom, but they slashed it after a few months because of Freedom contract issues. The O&D is there - we've got a *huge* retiree base that lives between these two cities.

Also announced for the MCO service is TYS. ACY was announced earlier this week.

Anyone know if AirTran books any sort of connections through MCO? Seems like they've got a pretty big base there now...

http://www.airtran.com/ashevillencpress.aspx

Thats interesting. When I was with AirTran in 1998 (Just after the merger of AirTran Airways and AirTran Airlines (trivia: Which one was Valujet) company headquarters was in Orlando and there were crewbases in Orlando, Dallas, Dulles, and Atlanta.

Then they pulled everything back to Atlanta and got rid of the 737s, got rid of the Turkish Air and British Midland DC9-30s and bought 717s...

A few years later they buy new 737s... and head back to Orlando?

The circle of life at ValuTran I suppose. ;)

Thats interesting. When I was with AirTran in 1998 (Just after the merger of AirTran Airways and AirTran Airlines (trivia: Which one was Valujet) company headquarters was in Orlando and there were crewbases in Orlando, Dallas, Dulles, and Atlanta.

Then they pulled everything back to Atlanta and got rid of the 737s, got rid of the Turkish Air and British Midland DC9-30s and bought 717s...

A few years later they buy new 737s... and head back to Orlando?

The circle of life at ValuTran I suppose. ;)
Didn't Air Tran attempt or propose a secondary hub at PIT in the late '90s ore early 2000s? I'm pretty sure I remember something like that.

This is probably a little airliners.net-esque, but I was too excited to not share it with you guys - AVL is getting 3x weekly MCO service on the 717, signaling the first return of mainline metal since prior to 2001. Best news we've had at good ol' AVL in a while.

DL has tried to make a go of the MCO route with Freedom, but they slashed it after a few months because of Freedom contract issues. The O&D is there - we've got a *huge* retiree base that lives between these two cities.

Also announced for the MCO service is TYS. ACY was announced earlier this week.

Anyone know if AirTran books any sort of connections through MCO? Seems like they've got a pretty big base there now...

http://www.airtran.com/ashevillencpress.aspx

You just made my day.

I used to drive PI 727s into AVL and carry lots of pax. Then when the company changed, it went to RJs. ??

AVL is where PI lost the 727 in a mid-air. Also, interesting that one snowy day, we popped out and there on the AVL ramp was Concorde. Charter to NY and got snowed in.

Oh that's right Mark. Your parents live in AVL don't they? That will be easy to/from for you and your family in Orlando. Good for you!

Let's not just blow by the fact that AirTran will be starting service to Branson, Missouri in May too though. I mean, if you like Yakov Smirnoff, there's only one place to go to see him!

Oh that's right Mark. Your parents live in AVL don't they? That will be easy to/from for you and your family in Orlando. Good for you!

Let's not just blow by the fact that AirTran will be starting service to Branson, Missouri in May too though. I mean, if you like Yakov Smirnoff, there's only one place to go to see him!

You still have a recall number there, Steve?

LOL! "Branson: Where Las Vegas Entertainers got to die!":laff:

Back