Aviation Week Honda Jet article

beasly

This phrase caught my eye...

Honda also opened its telemetry data center control room for eyeballs only (no cameras, please), where it collects roughly 2,500 flight data parameters via a large enclosed directional antenna on a tall mast within the 83-acre campus complex.

Anybody know what a 'telemetry data center' does?

Here is the article

h/t instapundit.

Honestly, all the other VLJ's I have seen look like toys. But this Honda Jet thing is something I can get behind. A huge company, making a go at something that everyone else has tried, and done a so-so job of. I am honestly excited about the Honda Jet. Honda is one company that makes promises, and has routinely delivered.

I attend the aviation school at GSO -GTCC. Have seen the Honda Jet take off a few times on test flights. Missed an opportunity to take a tour there last fall, hoping for another chance this fall. Honda is paying for their assembly people to get their A+Ps at the school and they are hiring like crazy at all levels, production, quality, engineering, and test pilots. Most jobs beyond production have pretty steep experience requirements from what I've read.

I would hope that Honda will build the jet like they have most of their other equipment, but I still can't get past the over the wing pylon mounted engines. I guess its no different than mounting them below the wing, but it just doesn't look stable to me, but that's composites for you, all kinds of stuff is possible that wasn't before.

I still like the look of fuselage mounted engines better on small jets.

But back to the OP, "eyeballs only" is spot on for a Japanese company. I have worked for two of them, and this type of thing is sooo typical. Literal translations become part of daily business despite being way wrong.

Honestly, all the other VLJ's I have seen look like toys. But this Honda Jet thing is something I can get behind. A huge company, making a go at something that everyone else has tried, and done a so-so job of. I am honestly excited about the Honda Jet. Honda is one company that makes promises, and has routinely delivered.
I can't speak for the other VLJ's out there, but the phenoms are built like airliners. Honda isn't really doing anything out of the ordinary besides slapping the engines ontop. It does have 30kts on the phenom 100, but i'm not sure if that's the cruise speed for economy or not. The phenoms econ cruise is it's top speed at max cruise power. The Honda just looks plain ugly IMO. The bubble type cockpit looking thing and the misplaced engines are goofy. I'd still fly it :cool:

I think the HondaJet looks handsome, but in reality who cares how it looks? The only questions I care about are: 1) Does it have a tendency to crash and kill me for no reason? and 2) How much you going to pay me to fly it? :D

Personally, I don't know why anyone would buy a HondaJet when they could buy a gently used late model Piaggio Avanti which seats more, is more comfortable and fuel efficient and only goes 100kts slower for the same price? Gotta have those jets, huh? :)

I can't speak for the other VLJ's out there, but the phenoms are built like airliners. Honda isn't really doing anything out of the ordinary besides slapping the engines ontop. It does have 30kts on the phenom 100, but i'm not sure if that's the cruise speed for economy or not. The phenoms econ cruise is it's top speed at max cruise power. The Honda just looks plain ugly IMO. The bubble type cockpit looking thing and the misplaced engines are goofy. I'd still fly it :cool:

Airliners! Are you Srious! A freakin G1000 is an airliner now?! From what I know of the systems of a Phenom100, it's no airliner, more like a toy airplane. I heard a Phenom100 climbing out of LAS today, and it sounded something like this.

"Phenom 123, 280kts or better"

"Phenom123, uhhh, center, at 280kts, we won't be able to climb real fast......."

"Phenom123, whats the best you can give me in climb?"

"Phenom123, we can give you 250kts center."

"Alright then, Phenom123, 260kts or better please."

"Phenom123, 260 or better."

They were jamming everyone else up on the airway back into LA. Hardly an "airliner." Yeah, it's a jet, but only because it's missing props. A Avanti will outrun it for goodness sake. It does 390KTAS. A P180 does 402 true. wiht props. And from what I hear, Phenomshave a problem getting stopped on the runway.

In all seriousness, the 100 is a toy airplane. It lacks a lot. It has a small cabin, short range, and comparitvley speaking IMO, is expensive. Why spend nearly $3M for a Phenom when you could get a Citation or a Lear31/35 that will outfly it for nearly half? Heck, a CJ1 will cost a lot less, and have better performance, for nearly the same operating cost per hour(within a dollar per mile).

I don't know, that kind of sounds like a CRJ-200 to me. Vectors for your climb? :)

I played around in the Mustang sim the last time I was at Flight Safety Wichita, and it don't climb all that great either... also with a G1000. Can't even program a non-published holding pattern on a G1000... what kind of FMS is that??

You forget the sarcasm tag? lol. Trying to think of an airliner that can't get out of it's own way and has no spoilers or reverse(can't stop).

You forget the sarcasm tag? lol. Trying to think of an airliner that can't get out of it's own way and has no spoilers or reverse(can't stop).

I'm very positive towards the phenom line. The spoilers are being retrofitted on older serial numbers. And you don't need reverse on a 10k airplane. Even without spoilers I can stop it in under 3k feet in most all conditions. At least it has anti skid unlike the eclipse which atc ALWAYS mistakes our tag for. Ea50 vs e50p. Other than that the airplane is built by an airline manufacturer which is nice. Not many have that lineage (pun intended) :)

No reversers?

Every single one of TSA's EMB-145's. Buckets were an option on it.

And the boards on the EMB-145 are largely noise makers when you're under 250 knots.

And the G1000 kicks the ever living crap out of the avionics in my aircraft.

You don't know his weight and out of LAS there are a lot of airplanes that would struggle to climb at that speed.
I'd have that same conversation with the controller in any of the jets I've flown. 280 is asking a lot of an airplane in climb out.
Airliners! Are you Srious! A freakin G1000 is an airliner now?! From what I know of the systems of a Phenom100, it's no airliner, more like a toy airplane. I heard a Phenom100 climbing out of LAS today, and it sounded something like this.

"Phenom 123, 280kts or better"

"Phenom123, uhhh, center, at 280kts, we won't be able to climb real fast......."

"Phenom123, whats the best you can give me in climb?"

"Phenom123, we can give you 250kts center."

"Alright then, Phenom123, 260kts or better please."

"Phenom123, 260 or better."

They were jamming everyone else up on the airway back into LA. Hardly an "airliner." Yeah, it's a jet, but only because it's missing props. A Avanti will outrun it for goodness sake. It does 390KTAS. A P180 does 402 true. wiht props. And from what I hear, Phenomshave a problem getting stopped on the runway.

In all seriousness, the 100 is a toy airplane. It lacks a lot. It has a small cabin, short range, and comparitvley speaking IMO, is expensive. Why spend nearly $3M for a Phenom when you could get a Citation or a Lear31/35 that will outfly it for nearly half? Heck, a CJ1 will cost a lot less, and have better performance, for nearly the same operating cost per hour(within a dollar per mile).

You don't know his weight and out of LAS there are a lot of airplanes that would struggle to climb at that speed.
I'd have that same conversation with the controller in any of the jets I've flown. 280 is asking a lot of an airplane in climb out.

Honestly, do I really need to know it's weight? It was going from LAS to BUR, not a long flight. I'd reason to bet though, that full pax, with their bags, they could carry just about enough fuel to get from LAS to BUR and still be legal for take off. For the price, there is just a lot better airplanes out there for operating costs/initial investment. The place I fly for was beat out by a 100 on a Cabo trip. They just barely made the trip there, and had to stop for fuel on the way home, it took them about 20 minutes longer to get there, but hey, the cutsomer saved about $400. LR31 v EMB100.

Redline is 275. If you are close to that in hot weather you aren't going up. It is a light jet peeps. Things need to be scaled down and made simple for owner pilots. It's built like an airliner, it isn't an airliner. This thread is funny now.

I just finished the training program at GTCC, hopefully Honda will be calling us in soon to start production. Looking forward to building the plane!

Back